• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Took it right in the spoon from ComicConnect auction...

94 posts in this topic

Could you not tell that they weren't in the advertised grade when you got them though?

This was going to be my next question if he looked the books over before sending to CGC

+1

Did CGC unfairly hammer them or was Metro totally off?

I haven't submitted any books in quite a while, but I remember them being tough on IC tanning in the past

THIS!

I had a SA Sub mariner 1 recently that i thought was 9.4-9.6 that came back 8.0 for interior tanning :frustrated:

I had the same thing happen on an Iron Man #7. Looks 9/4/9.6 all day long, but there is tanning. It came back the prettiest 7.0 you're likely to see.

CGC has generally been fairly lenient on tanning of GA/pre-code comics. I've had a suspicion that they are getting tougher lately so I can easily see this as the problem. It's probably worth the $15 to get graders notes on whatever book you were most surprised by.

Had books presented no resto come back purple label and sometimes CGC just kills books for minor problems.Been disappointed on certain books and some come back better than i thought.You have just visited the Chamber of Chills in collecting lol

CGC has generally been fairly lenient on tanning of GA/pre-code comics. I've had a suspicion that they are getting tougher lately so I can easily see this as the problem. It's probably worth the $15 to get graders notes on whatever book you were most surprised by.

Absolutely - this will hopefully shed light on the whole batch as there is probably a similar reason they were all hammered.

CGC really should provide graders notes as part of the original order return. I can understand not wanting to do it for free for everyone that phones or emails, but it's bad enough being severely disappointed by a grade and then have to pay again to find out why.

I picked up some 9.4 Harvey file copies from Metro recently. Two of the three had water stains on them so I sent them back. They are very good about accepting returns.

I picked up some 9.4 Harvey file copies from Metro recently. Two of the three had water stains on them so I sent them back. They are very good about accepting returns.

CGC has downgraded severely for water-stains and even small ones could have resulted in the results you saw from your recent submission.

I was just going to say stains as well.. Everyone knows how notorious they are when grading books with stains.. Perhaps you missed seeing them. Since the books came out as cream-offwhite, I don't see how they would downgrade them

Actually...THIS was the worst. Advertised as a 9.4, came back a 7.5

2lmm3j4.jpg

It's hard to tell but I see a top right rounded corner, some color loss/abrasion in the upper left hand corner, and multiple spine ticks.

Even if the back cover is perfect, no way is this ever a 9.4 (especially if stained or tanning). doh!

Were there other problems you noted with the book in its raw state, Gabe? It does appear better than a 7.5 (again, hard to tell from one small scan) so perhaps CGC found some other problems and the grade is accurate? (shrug)

Bought some raw Harvey Horrors from a ComicConnect auction, paid out the wazoo for the higher grades of course. Had them submitted to CGC and am very blown away by the difference...

Examples -

Chamber of Chills 5 - advertised as 9.0 came back as 6.5

Chamber of Chills 16 - advertised as 9.4 came back as 7.5

Chamber of Chills 11 - advertised as 9.2 came back as 7.0

Chamber of Chills 10 - advertised as 9.0 came back as 7.0

Amazing. I can understand even up to a point but this is insane. Has anyone dealt with this? I know their return policy is 10 days...but obviously I bought them and had them sent off asap.

Ouch.

Don't get me started on tanning...

I have posted this 10x too many already, but it is a good lesson for anyone submitting GA books if there is tanning you are looking at a 1-2 point drop...this is a 7.0-7.5.

I bought grader notes only note is "whole book tanning."

ST28_zps2f840273.jpg

Back around 2003, I bought a raw book in an auction that was graded unrestored 9.4. Since it was pretty pricey ($4K or so), I immediately submitted it Walkthrough to CGC because I wanted to contact the auction house asap if it got a purple label. Although the book looked like a 9.6 to me, CGC gave it an unrestored 7.5 or 8.0 (I forget which) because of tanning of the interior pages. I would have eaten a smaller difference in the grade, but I was shocked that the gap was so side and wrote to the auction house as soon as I got the grade over e-mail from CGC. They were nice and we worked it out, but it helped my case that I was able to get back to them within 4-5 days after receiving the book. Since then, I've been very careful about buying expensive raw books, at least unless I've been able to inspect them in person, had someone else inspect them for me, or know the seller well.

I bought grader notes only note is "whole book tanning."

That's $15 well spent. lol Still a beauty of a book in any case. (thumbs u

If it's "whole book tanning" why is it cream to off-white pages?

I think this is just a matter of making very quick notes -- they aren't going for the Tolstoy award.

Having seen quite a few Harvey file copies, they are probably referring to excessive tanning of the covers -- this will usually be most noticeable on the inside of the FC and BC as well as the outside of the back cover. It is possible that for the pq to be cr/ow and for the covers to have excessive tanning but it's also possible given the inconsistency of CGC pq designation that, on a different day, they would designate the pages as Lt Tan or Lt Tan/OW.

Can you provide back cover scans of a couple of the books?