• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Took it right in the spoon from ComicConnect auction...

94 posts in this topic

I have no clue why Gabe's books were graded the way they were. That being said, reputable sellers have treated inside cover tanning (whether it be in the form of a tanning halo or uniform light/moderate/heavy tanning) as a downgradable defect for as long as I've been collecting. CGC has always deducted for it. This is definitely not a new policy.

IC-Halo.jpg

IC-LT.jpg

IC-MT.jpg

Just saw this now but the funny thing is that, IMO, these books appear to be in line with the grades before any tanning was taken into consideration.

CGC does seem to go easier on environmental defects ( foxing, tanning, fading and dust shadows) than it does on handling defects ( tears, creases, nicks and stains), and no doubt there are many dealers that do the same. For the most part it's not a question of do they downgrade, but by how much.

Sold them a book once and saw it on line OUT OF THE CGC HOLDER I SENT IT THERE AND THEY HAD IT MARKED A HIGHER GRADE

Not as dubious as you might think as books can be pressed. Also, you can submit the same book 10 times and it won't come out the same every time.

Sold them a book once and saw it on line OUT OF THE CGC HOLDER I SENT IT THERE AND THEY HAD IT MARKED A HIGHER GRADE

Not shocking to me at all. This is very common, not just with Metro. In fact, in the early years of CGC, before Pressing was a well known practice, this was where the easy money came from. It's a grey area whether it's dishonest or not. As stated, one can always disagree with the grade but I think the ethical thing to do is to disclose.

I bought a book from Metro, advertised as a 9.0 with OW/W pages; the front cover was roughly VF/NM, but it had a faint ink transfer from another comic over most of the back cover. They didn't seem open to renegotiating the grade--and we were far enough apart that it probably wouldn't have mattered--so I sent it back for a refund. It was an aggravation because I had to pay shipping both ways. (I also thought the page quality designation was generous.)

StrangeMysteries8Bresz.jpg

lately I have had more success in Comic connect auctions than any other...I really like the format and book selection of late (thumbs u

have to agree here.

Sounds like maybe some corrective measures have taken place, kudos to Metro. (thumbs u