• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signed Pedigree comics make baby cry.

409 posts in this topic

Im not the only one that thinks this right?

I like the SS program. I like signed books. And I know that a "pedigree" is not as lofty a moniker as it once was but stil....

Taking a pedigree book, especially a KEY one and then having it SSed for the sake of trying to further squeeze profit out of a book just makes me (and Baby Jesus) sad.

Just saw this one over on ebay (below)

That's the Northland Ped Avengers 4 with a Stan & Joe Simon sig on it. Now being listed for more than $13,000 more than it was purchased for originally.

I know there have been others, but this one (and its ridiculous price tag) just was the latest...

Now a private collector wanting to add a sig to a pedigree book is tough enough to swallow (but its their book so they can do what they want, I guess) but when its an obvious attempt at a money grab from a dealer it just feels a bit like a desecration...

139372.jpg.e399f635cabcbc84532e882a3136c07d.jpg

Not all pedigrees are considered equal. Would there be outrage at a C/OW Savannah being signed? I'm thinking no.

It depends on the book. It depends on the ped. It depends on the grade.

Definitely agree. I like SS for Moderns, but not with classic Silver Age books... ESPECIALLY a pedigree. Yikes. :(

I mean, if they really wanted an SS book for a Silver Age with the creators, I'd say go with a lower grade book. (shrug)

You are right J, but I think any Ped Key regardless of which ped would be sad. Even the lesser ones.

I dont know that I would wince at a signed non-key from a lesser ped, especially if it was something from the Bronze era.

But when we are talking Ped Keys I just think "but thats the only one!" (an irrational thought I know)...

I'm not a fan of signed books, period. I've never understood the appeal. I consider it a defect just like any other writing on the cover.

I really liked CGC SS books about a year ago, and started getting into them. But, my love for CGC SS faded away.

I have a few signed books in my collection now. I don't care if they are not certified or slabbed, I just like them the way they are - and without all the extra effort.

You are right J, but I think any Ped Key regardless of which ped would be sad. Even the lesser ones.

I dont know that I would wince at a signed non-key from a lesser ped, especially if it was something from the Bronze era.

But when we are talking Ped Keys I just think "but thats the only one!" (an irrational thought I know)...

Before the almost universal dilution of the "pedigree" moniker that may have been more objectionable. Now, however, there are new pedigrees being canonized every week it seems.

One contention is false however. "That's the only one!" isn't the case across the board. I've owned long runs of pedigree books, purchased just after they were discovered, and in some cases there were 2 and even 3 copies of the same key within those runs. Ped-Dupes!! lol

Here's my post on this topic from 2008:

I'm pretty sure I've stated my position before but here goes. If you're okay with signatures on pedigree books, then what's the point of the pedigree? Part of the problem is the proliferation of "pedigrees" in the CGC era. People have gotten used to an abundance of pedigree books being available at any given time.

It would be hard for someone to argue that some pedigree books aren't just a little more special than others. To me, the Church books will always be the pinnacle followed, in no particular order by Larson, Crippen, Okajima, etc. Do I care that Don Rosa signed a Rosa Collection (not pedigree) book? Not really. I don't really view the Rosa collection as very important to the history of comics.

Was I flabbergasted that someone would have the Church copy of Tally-Ho signed? You bet. Even more so when it was flipped shortly thereafter.

In a vague way, I feel that collectors have some responsibilities to the hobby and to public in general. How would you feel if someone with unlimited funds purchased all known copies of Action #1 and burned them? Think of someone buying the Mona Lisa and painting a mustache on it. Some things are historically important. People may own them but they have a duty to preserve them also.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2808761&fpart=1

I still feel the same way. Pressing and/or signing pedigree books is a no-no for me. I'm not arguing that other people can't do it. It's their book. But I hate it.

Here's my post on this topic from 2008:

I'm pretty sure I've stated my position before but here goes. If you're okay with signatures on pedigree books, then what's the point of the pedigree? Part of the problem is the proliferation of "pedigrees" in the CGC era. People have gotten used to an abundance of pedigree books being available at any given time.

It would be hard for someone to argue that some pedigree books aren't just a little more special than others. To me, the Church books will always be the pinnacle followed, in no particular order by Larson, Crippen, Okajima, etc. Do I care that Don Rosa signed a Rosa Collection (not pedigree) book? Not really. I don't really view the Rosa collection as very important to the history of comics.

Was I flabbergasted that someone would have the Church copy of Tally-Ho signed? You bet. Even more so when it was flipped shortly thereafter.

In a vague way, I feel that collectors have some responsibilities to the hobby and to public in general. How would you feel if someone with unlimited funds purchased all known copies of Action #1 and burned them? Think of someone buying the Mona Lisa and painting a mustache on it. Some things are historically important. People may own them but they have a duty to preserve them also.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2808761&fpart=1

I still feel the same way. Pressing and/or signing pedigree books is a no-no for me. I'm not arguing that other people can't do it. It's their book. But I hate it.

Herr Larson appreciates your blind devotion to his cause. (worship)

Hee-haw

The best inside jokes are the ones that are more than 3 years old and there are no more than 4 people that know its meaning.