• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signed Pedigree comics make baby cry.

409 posts in this topic

Heaven forbid anytime in the next 50 years there occurs an event that puts into questions the legitimacy of every SS book. What if the SS program falls apart? How much are collectors going to enjoy having all those SS pedigree books then?

I see you you've started keeping a daydream journal.

Everyone was sure restoration was the bee's knees 30 years ago.

Heaven forbid anytime in the next 50 years there occurs an event that puts into questions the legitimacy of every SS book. What if the SS program falls apart? How much are collectors going to enjoy having all those SS pedigree books then?

2e0l5.jpg

2e0l5.jpg

:facepalm:

Everyone was sure restoration was the bee's knees 30 years ago.

So you're saying there are going to be even more SS haters when I am 70? I'm sharpening my lances already . . .

2e0l5.jpg

:facepalm:

lol

Oh look! Another thread with the same people whining about what people chose to do with their property. Just because you don't approve doesn't mean it's wrong to submit a high grade book for SS.

Oh look! Another person trying to tell what is and is not acceptable conversation on the boards.

:baiting:

Oh look! Another thread with the same people whining about what people chose to do with their property. Just because you don't approve doesn't mean it's wrong to submit a high grade book for SS.
Funny. I read it as a thread where potential customers are expressing an opinion on whether they would buy certain books.

Yea even if CGC falls apart, I don't see why people would lose interest in signed stuff. This seems like some serious backward thinking.

I get why people shouldn't get Pedigree's signed, but the notion that people won't like signatures in 50 years is backward.

Its not wrong inasmuch that its illegal or immoral.

But I think it really does an injustice to have an important book such as a pedigree or a rare high grade signed. Their wont be anymore printed and in the interest of conserving the history I think its prudent to consider the damage done.

A high grade modern? sign away. But high grade gold, silver or bronze....an owner should really think hard before making a decision to have it signed. Preservation in current state is important in all sorts of collectibles...and as the owner of such a piece you become a de facto steward.

Ultimately, the owner can do what they want but it would be nice if each would err on the side of caution in this regard for the sake of the books and the hobby as a whole.

Yea even if CGC falls apart, I don't see why people would lose interest in signed stuff. This seems like some serious backward thinking.

I get why people shouldn't get Pedigree's signed, but the notion that people won't like signatures in 50 years is backward.

Comics themselves may be heading down the road of Hummels and tulip bulbs. The market for signed comics has changed quite a bit since the dawn of the SS. It will be interesting to see what kind of staying power it has.

A more relevant question is, will anyone care about comics 50 years from now.

However, I think it's possible that people might feel differently about signed comics in the future. Transplant is correct. Restoration in comics was once a lot more accepted than it is now. Times change. Attitudes change.

While it's certainly true that anyone can do anything with any comic, it's also important to remember that in the case of exceptional collections that have been granted pedigree status by the collecting community, certain comics are significant to the community at large as well as to the owner of the moment.

Personally, I'm not a fan of autographing pedigree comics.

Its not wrong inasmuch that its illegal or immoral.

But I think it really does an injustice to have an important book such as a pedigree or a rare high grade signed. Their wont be anymore printed and in the interest of conserving the history I think its prudent to consider the damage done.

A high grade modern? sign away. But high grade gold, silver or bronze....an owner should really think hard before making a decision to have it signed. Preservation in current state is important in all sorts of collectibles...and as the owner of such a piece you become a de facto steward.

Ultimately, the owner can do what they want but it would be nice if each would err on the side of caution in this regard for the sake of the books and the hobby as a whole.

This is only true if you believe that having the creators sign their work is "damage." And as has been shown again and again and again, high grade Silver and Bronze is plentiful.

Everyone has their threshold for acceptability.

For me it has more to do with the person doing the signing. Stan is great and all but his signature isn't anything terribly special or unique. Ditko, Miller... but especially the sigs of guys that have passed on are more acceptable in my eyes.

I like SS books. But I personally wouldn't have a Northland signed.

And as has been shown again and again and again, high grade Silver and Bronze is plentiful.

Unfortunately, the Northland Avengers #4 is a one-of-a-kind book. As you note, there are dozens of other high grade copies ripe for signatures.

And as has been shown again and again and again, high grade Silver and Bronze is plentiful.

Unfortunately, the Northland Avengers #4 is a one-of-a-kind book. As you note, there are dozens of other high grade copies ripe for signatures.

Those are both true statements.

Those are both true statements.

:acclaim:

Oh look, the same person whining about other people discussing a topic. Just because you think it's fine doesn't make it right. Permanently altering a book you plan on keeping in your possession for 4 seconds before throwing it on eBay for a cash grab sounds crazy to me. Then again, I don't make a living doing comic cash grabs so what do I know (shrug)