• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signed Pedigree comics make baby cry.

409 posts in this topic

:gossip: Gene Colan's contributed more to the history of comic books than Edgar Church ever did.

That's a given and has absolutely nothing to do with my reason for disliking it.

Click for a REALLY bad analogy.

It could be argued that Guggenheim did more for abstract art history with collecting and the creation of museums than an artist like Mark Rothko. Does that make it any more acceptable that Solomon Guggenheim (were he still alive) decided to scribble on one of Rothko's pieces?

Seeing Church books, especially HG ones, signed makes me vomit a little in my mouth.

On the upside there were over 20,000 books in the Church collection.

Imagine if it was one of the tiny peds like Allentown or Chicago..

heck if I saw an Okajima in SS I dont know what would happen ... :censored::frustrated:

That's the thing isn't it....Pedigrees used to MEAN something. There were only a few. Now? There are dozens, and they are given the name to help market and sell them.

ALLENTOWN

AURORA

BETHLEHEM

BILLY WRIGHT

BIG APPLE

CAPE COD

CARSON CITY

CENTRAL VALLEY

CHICAGO

CHINATOWN

CIRCLE 8

COOKEVILLE

COSMIC AEROPLANE

CRIPPEN D

CROWLEY

CURATOR

DENVER

DETROIT TROLLEY

DIAMOND RUN

DON AND MAGGIE THOMPSON

DON ROSA

EDGAR CHURCH/MILE HIGH

ELDON

EDENWALD

GAINES

GREEN RIVER

HAROLD CURTIS

HAWKEYE

HENSCHEL

KANSAS CITY

LARSON

LLOYD JACQUET

LOST VALLEY

MASS

MOHAWK VALLEY

NAPA VALLEY

NEW HAMPSHIRE

NORTHERN CAL

NORTHFORD

NORTHLAND

NOVA SCOTIA

OAKLAND

OHIO

OKAJIMA

PACIFIC COAST

PALO ALTO

PENNSYLVANIA

RECIL MACON

RIVER CITY

ROCKFORD

ROCKY MOUNTAIN

SAN FRANCISCO

SAVANNAH

SELKIRK

SHERWOOD

SPOKANE

SUSCHA NEWS

TOLEDO

TWILIGHT

TWIN CITIES

VAN BUREN

VANCOUVER

WESTERN PENN

WILLIAMSPORT

WHITE MOUNTAIN

WINDY CITY

WINNEPEG

Is this the Pedigree book? At least the contents page? I feel teased now.

:gossip: Gene Colan's contributed more to the history of comic books than Edgar Church ever did.

That's a given and has absolutely nothing to do with my reason for disliking it.

But, in the subtext, it really does have everything to do with it.

You are placing an importance, a significance, an untouchable preeminence on the fact that it was Edgar Church's book over an above it bearing the signature of an absolute legend of comics.

The source of your nausea seems to come from that this was Church's book, from his collection, no?

Seeing Church books, especially HG ones, signed makes me vomit a little in my mouth.

heck if I saw an Okajima in SS I dont know what would happen ... :censored::frustrated:

That's the thing isn't it....Pedigrees used to MEAN something. There were only a few. Now? There are dozens, and they are given the name to help market and sell them.

ALLENTOWN

AURORA

BETHLEHEM

BILLY WRIGHT

BIG APPLE

CAPE COD

CARSON CITY

CENTRAL VALLEY

CHICAGO

CHINATOWN

CIRCLE 8

COOKEVILLE

COSMIC AEROPLANE

CRIPPEN D

CROWLEY

CURATOR

DENVER

DETROIT TROLLEY

DIAMOND RUN

DON AND MAGGIE THOMPSON

DON ROSA

EDGAR CHURCH/MILE HIGH

ELDON

EDENWALD

GAINES

GREEN RIVER

HAROLD CURTIS

HAWKEYE

HENSCHEL

KANSAS CITY

LARSON

LLOYD JACQUET

LOST VALLEY

MASS

MOHAWK VALLEY

NAPA VALLEY

NEW HAMPSHIRE

NORTHERN CAL

NORTHFORD

NORTHLAND

NOVA SCOTIA

OAKLAND

OHIO

OKAJIMA

PACIFIC COAST

PALO ALTO

PENNSYLVANIA

RECIL MACON

RIVER CITY

ROCKFORD

ROCKY MOUNTAIN

SAN FRANCISCO

SAVANNAH

SELKIRK

SHERWOOD

SPOKANE

SUSCHA NEWS

TOLEDO

TWILIGHT

TWIN CITIES

VAN BUREN

VANCOUVER

WESTERN PENN

WILLIAMSPORT

WHITE MOUNTAIN

WINDY CITY

WINNEPEG

Is this the Pedigree book? At least the contents page? I feel teased now.

I wish. lol I wonder if I will ever see that book.

ALLENTOWN

AURORA

BETHLEHEM

BILLY WRIGHT

BIG APPLE

CAPE COD

CARSON CITY

CENTRAL VALLEY

CHICAGO

CHINATOWN

CIRCLE 8

COOKEVILLE

COSMIC AEROPLANE

CRIPPEN D

CROWLEY

CURATOR

DENVER

DETROIT TROLLEY

DIAMOND RUN

DON AND MAGGIE THOMPSON

DON ROSA

EDGAR CHURCH/MILE HIGH

ELDON

EDENWALD

GAINES

GREEN RIVER

HAROLD CURTIS

HAWKEYE

HENSCHEL

KANSAS CITY

LARSON

LLOYD JACQUET

LOST VALLEY

MASS

MOHAWK VALLEY

NAPA VALLEY

NEW HAMPSHIRE

NORTHERN CAL

NORTHFORD

NORTHLAND

NOVA SCOTIA

OAKLAND

OHIO

OKAJIMA

PACIFIC COAST

PALO ALTO

PENNSYLVANIA

RECIL MACON

RIVER CITY

ROCKFORD

ROCKY MOUNTAIN

SAN FRANCISCO

SAVANNAH

SELKIRK

SHERWOOD

SPOKANE

SUSCHA NEWS

TOLEDO

TWILIGHT

TWIN CITIES

VAN BUREN

VANCOUVER

WESTERN PENN

WILLIAMSPORT

WHITE MOUNTAIN

WINDY CITY

WINNEPEG

They.

Just.

Keep.

Coming.

And as they do, they dilute the power and importance of pedigree designations overall.

The books are still great, but the fact that they come from a certain collection becomes less and less important, special, and rare.

I see this as hyperbole. A lot of what you listed are collections of. Pre but haven't risen to the level of 'official' pedigree. We went through a few years of some fairly remarkable finds that warranted pedigree status but there hasn't been much of late except fors Egg's Haight-Asbury find. Marginal pedigrees can be argued, like Suscha News and Billy Wright, but for the most part, pedigrees that have been deemed 'official' by CGC are solid.

I never understood the fascination of Pedigrees. They are just books owned by one person versus some books owned by two or more people.

I dont see the difference between a 9.8 pedigree and a 9.8 Regular book. both are 9.8.

If I had and insane amount of stupid money I'd buy pedigree books, break em out of slab and resumbit them to get non pedigree status.. a 9.8 is a 9.8

I never understood the fascination of Pedigrees. They are just books owned by one person versus some books owned by two or more people.

I dont see the difference between a 9.8 pedigree and a 9.8 Regular book. both are 9.8.

If I had and insane amount of stupid money I'd buy pedigree books, break em out of slab and resubmit them to get non pedigree status.. a 9.8 is a 9.8

I'm not enamored with pedigrees, but I wouldn't make any effort to confound those who collect them.

Something like the Gaines file copies are a different story altogether, as the collection of a preeminent purveyor of the form. If you had any of those signed by Gaines, that would be exceptional. Never a possibility, of course.

ALLENTOWN

AURORA

BETHLEHEM

BILLY WRIGHT

BIG APPLE

CAPE COD

CARSON CITY

CENTRAL VALLEY

CHICAGO

CHINATOWN

CIRCLE 8

COOKEVILLE

COSMIC AEROPLANE

CRIPPEN D

CROWLEY

CURATOR

DENVER

DETROIT TROLLEY

DIAMOND RUN

DON AND MAGGIE THOMPSON

DON ROSA

EDGAR CHURCH/MILE HIGH

ELDON

EDENWALD

GAINES

GREEN RIVER

HAROLD CURTIS

HAWKEYE

HENSCHEL

KANSAS CITY

LARSON

LLOYD JACQUET

LOST VALLEY

MASS

MOHAWK VALLEY

NAPA VALLEY

NEW HAMPSHIRE

NORTHERN CAL

NORTHFORD

NORTHLAND

NOVA SCOTIA

OAKLAND

OHIO

OKAJIMA

PACIFIC COAST

PALO ALTO

PENNSYLVANIA

RECIL MACON

RIVER CITY

ROCKFORD

ROCKY MOUNTAIN

SAN FRANCISCO

SAVANNAH

SELKIRK

SHERWOOD

SPOKANE

SUSCHA NEWS

TOLEDO

TWILIGHT

TWIN CITIES

VAN BUREN

VANCOUVER

WESTERN PENN

WILLIAMSPORT

WHITE MOUNTAIN

WINDY CITY

WINNEPEG

They.

Just.

Keep.

Coming.

And as they do, they dilute the power and importance of pedigree designations overall.

The books are still great, but the fact that they come from a certain collection becomes less and less important, special, and rare.

I see this as hyperbole. A lot of what you listed are collections of. Pre but haven't risen to the level of 'official' pedigree. We went through a few years of some fairly remarkable finds that warranted pedigree status but there hasn't been much of late except fors Egg's Haight-Asbury find. Marginal pedigrees can be argued, like Suscha News and Billy Wright, but for the most part, pedigrees that have been deemed 'official' by CGC are solid.

There are a small handful that are "collections of", Rosa, Thompson, Jacquet on the list, the rest are peds. That's not hyperbole...these are actual lists of peds.

Maybe it's because I remember the a time before the last 10-12 years when peds carried a much more rare aura than they have since.

As I said, they are GREAT books, but the more something expands the less rare and the less mystique it carries.

If I had and insane amount of stupid money I'd buy pedigree books, break em out of slab and resumbit them to get non pedigree status.. a 9.8 is a 9.8

It depends a lot on the pedigree. An Edgar Curch book is usually so far superior to the next best copy available that it is easy to see why people pay more. A Davis Crippen copy from his garage won't pull anything more than any other similarly graded copy. Sometimes even less. For Bronze Age titles, it can often be a desire to differentiate your collection from the masses.

It could be argued that Guggenheim did more for abstract art history with collecting and the creation of museums than an artist like Mark Rothko. Does that make it any more acceptable that Solomon Guggenheim (were he still alive) decided to scribble on one of Rothko's pieces?

You are right.

That is a really bad analogy.

Oh look! Another thread with the same people whining about what people chose to do with their property. Just because you don't approve doesn't mean it's wrong to submit a high grade book for SS.

Its not wrong inasmuch that its illegal or immoral.

But I think it really does an injustice to have an important book such as a pedigree or a rare high grade signed. Their wont be anymore printed and in the interest of conserving the history I think its prudent to consider the damage done.

A high grade modern? sign away. But high grade gold, silver or bronze....an owner should really think hard before making a decision to have it signed. Preservation in current state is important in all sorts of collectibles...and as the owner of such a piece you become a de facto steward.

Ultimately, the owner can do what they want but it would be nice if each would err on the side of caution in this regard for the sake of the books and the hobby as a whole.

This is only true if you believe that having the creators sign their work is "damage." And as has been shown again and again and again, high grade Silver and Bronze is plentiful.

I've said it before and I'll repeat it now. This is the only :censored: hobby where it's considered "damaging" a book to have it signed by the writer/artist. If you don't like signed books then don't have them signed or buy ones that are. It's that simple. Unless you're the one who was willing to shell out the money for one of your precious pedigree books because it means sooooo much to you then shut up about what happens to them when someone else buys it and subs it for SS. Clearly it didn't mean that much to you if you weren't willing to spend the money to own it.

Oh look! Another thread with the same people whining about what people chose to do with their property. Just because you don't approve doesn't mean it's wrong to submit a high grade book for SS.

thus why I said:

Now a private collector wanting to add a sig to a pedigree book is tough enough to swallow (but its their book so they can do what they want, I guess) but when its an obvious attempt at a money grab from a dealer it just feels a bit like a desecration...

But you know, feel free to just pick and choose which parts to read. (thumbs u

Do you see "high grade book" and "pedigree book" as interchangeable terms (since you changed them)?

[actual question, some people think so little of pedigrees that they dont value them any greater than non-pedigree books of the same grade, thus Im curious if you fall into that camp]

With the rate at which pedigree status is handed out, yeah... anymore pedigree and high grade are interchangeable.

But, in the subtext, it really does have everything to do with it.

You are placing an importance, a significance, an untouchable preeminence on the fact that it was Edgar Church's book over an above it bearing the signature of an absolute legend of comics.

The source of your nausea seems to come from that this was Church's book, from his collection, no?

I would argue that, in a historical context, Church was more important to THAT copy of that book than Gene Colan.

You are right.

That is a really bad analogy.

:acclaim:

I've said it before and I'll repeat it now. This is the only :censored: hobby where it's considered "damaging" a book to have it signed by the writer/artist. If you don't like signed books then don't have them signed or buy ones that are. It's that simple. Unless you're the one who was willing to shell out the money for one of your precious pedigree books because it means sooooo much to you then shut up about what happens to them when someone else buys it and subs it for SS. Clearly it didn't mean that much to you if you weren't willing to spend the money to own it.

OK everyone LSComics has determined that opinions and discussions are not to be had on this message board, lets all go home.

Someone get the lights.

Oh look, the same person whining about other people discussing a topic. Just because you think it's fine doesn't make it right. Permanently altering a book you plan on keeping in your possession for 4 seconds before throwing it on eBay for a cash grab sounds crazy to me. Then again, I don't make a living doing comic cash grabs so what do I know (shrug)

You spend enough that you help support the extravagant lifestyles of cash grab artists :baiting:

Church contributed to comics in a far different manner than Colan.

As a valued commodity with a dollar value attached, one could argue Church far more so than the Gene Colan autograph.

Not a pedigree, but this book sickens me. Check out the census numbers.

cgc_tta_35_92_ss_4003.jpg

Whoa.

Oh look! Another person trying to tell what is and is not acceptable conversation on the boards.

:baiting:

Oh look! Another 7 year-old cashew under my couch cushion.