• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signed Pedigree comics make baby cry.

409 posts in this topic

Not a pedigree, but this book sickens me. Check out the census numbers.

cgc_tta_35_92_ss_4003.jpg

Whoa.

:takeit:

I can't believe someone had the stones to get such a tough book signed.

Whoa.

Bah! It's not even the 1st Appearance. :baiting:

I've said it before and I'll repeat it now. This is the only :censored: hobby where it's considered "damaging" a book to have it signed by the writer/artist.

I think you'll find this debate in other hobbies as well.

Whoa.

What if you had 2 of the blue CGC 9.2's in addition to this one? And a few high grade raws too. Just a huge fan of Ant-Man. Is it the worst thing in the world to get this comic signed by the creator of Ant-Man?

Oh look! Another thread with the same people whining about what people chose to do with their property. Just because you don't approve doesn't mean it's wrong to submit a high grade book for SS.

Oh look! Another person trying to tell what is and is not acceptable conversation on the boards.

:baiting:

Oh look! Another 7 year-old cashew under my couch cushion.

Eat it

Here's one I bought that is sure to ruffle feathers and gather adoration, all at the same time.

Wings52SS.jpg

a beautiful book to be sure. Least obtrusive sig (in placement and ink choice) I've seen, wonder if the person who got it SSed did that intentionally.

From your perspective Cheetah did you pay the price you felt the Edgar Church copy of the book was worth, or what a signed copy of the Edgar church copy of the book was worth? {and I dont want to know what you actually paid, more about your rationale of value}

(wondering if your valuation factored the signature into it, or it if was peripheral to the books value which was largely based on it being single highest, and being the church copy)

There were a lot of things about the book that were positives. I've got a near complete run of high-grade Wings including a number of Church books. It is Gene Colan's first paid professional work in comics. The signature color and placement are artful and unobtrusive. The yellow label accentuates the cover like well-planned matting on a piece of art. Plus, it was a somewhat controversial book (as much as any mid-run Wings can be) in that the signature was on one of Edgar's books.

The price was higher than I thought warranted but I took efforts to go off-eBay and get it cheaper. All in all, it didn't cost too much more than I thought warranted.

Whoa.

Well if you take a look a lot of these signed high grade, high value books (and sometimes pedigree copies) are being sold by the same couple cash grabbers who think it's an easy way to make a ton of $ on a book.

It ain't about collecting and what people like it's about a couple sellers who only care about $$. Make of that what you will for the people saying they can do whatever they want with a book since it's their property.

I've said it before and I'll repeat it now. This is the only :censored: hobby where it's considered "damaging" a book to have it signed by the writer/artist. If you don't like signed books then don't have them signed or buy ones that are. It's that simple. Unless you're the one who was willing to shell out the money for one of your precious pedigree books because it means sooooo much to you then shut up about what happens to them when someone else buys it and subs it for SS. Clearly it didn't mean that much to you if you weren't willing to spend the money to own it.

OK everyone LSComics has determined that opinions and discussions are not to be had on this message board, lets all go home.

Someone get the lights.

And you say I'm the one misinterpreting what you posted?

Here's what it boils down to pedigree lovers: If your pedigree 9.4s, 9.6s & 9.8s are so special and so much nicer than other books of the same grade then they would have gotten higher grades. If you care so much about what happens to them then buy them all up so they can't be subbed for SS and quit complaining about it. Problem solved.

For the record, I have absolutely no problem with discussions on these boards. I am sick and tired of people constantly complaining about what other people do with their books though. There's collectors out there that are as opposed to books being slabbed as some of you are to having pedigree books signed. The difference is they're not starting threads every 4 to 6 weeks and telling people they shouldn't be doing it.

I'm not sure why there is so much criticism about people trying to make money. It's America; that's what we do.

This, like just about everything else in this stupid hobby, is about personal preference. If you are the type of collector that doesn't like signatures on the front of your funny books, sucks to be you, because that isn't going to stop anything.

It's the same argument made against pressing. Once a book is pressed, it cannot be un-pressed, and is now and forevermore no longer in its "original state." This is painful for a great many people, but they have to live in this reality and either accept that there are a great many books that they cannot keep in their collection because of this preference, or modify their viewpoint.

I do think that if people are not using archival-quality pens on their Sig books, they are being willfully negligent and should have bad things happen to them. It's akin to tape, albeit a lot less damaging for the book

Seeing Church books, especially HG ones, signed makes me vomit a little in my mouth.

On the upside there were over 20,000 books in the Church collection.

Imagine if it was one of the tiny peds like Allentown or Chicago..

heck if I saw an Okajima in SS I dont know what would happen ... :censored::frustrated:

That's the thing isn't it....Pedigrees used to MEAN something. There were only a few. Now? There are dozens, and they are given the name to help market and sell them.

ALLENTOWN

AURORA

BETHLEHEM

BILLY WRIGHT

BIG APPLE

CAPE COD

CARSON CITY

CENTRAL VALLEY

CHICAGO

CHINATOWN

CIRCLE 8

COOKEVILLE

COSMIC AEROPLANE

CRIPPEN D

CROWLEY

CURATOR

DENVER

DETROIT TROLLEY

DIAMOND RUN

DON AND MAGGIE THOMPSON

DON ROSA

EDGAR CHURCH/MILE HIGH

ELDON

EDENWALD

GAINES

GREEN RIVER

HAROLD CURTIS

HAWKEYE

HENSCHEL

KANSAS CITY

LARSON

LLOYD JACQUET

LOST VALLEY

MASS

MOHAWK VALLEY

NAPA VALLEY

NEW HAMPSHIRE

NORTHERN CAL

NORTHFORD

NORTHLAND

NOVA SCOTIA

OAKLAND

OHIO

OKAJIMA

PACIFIC COAST

PALO ALTO

PENNSYLVANIA

RECIL MACON

RIVER CITY

ROCKFORD

ROCKY MOUNTAIN

SAN FRANCISCO

SAVANNAH

SELKIRK

SHERWOOD

SPOKANE

SUSCHA NEWS

TOLEDO

TWILIGHT

TWIN CITIES

VAN BUREN

VANCOUVER

WESTERN PENN

WILLIAMSPORT

WHITE MOUNTAIN

WINDY CITY

WINNEPEG

They.

Just.

Keep.

Coming.

And as they do, they dilute the power and importance of pedigree designations overall.

The books are still great, but the fact that they come from a certain collection becomes less and less important, special, and rare.

I know it is tangential to the signature discussion but of the collections listed, these are only ones that are really considered pedigrees. The rest are either notable collections or warehouse finds. I think the most controversial ones are the silver and bronze peds like Twin Cities, Savannah, Winnipeg, Oakland and Suscha News. The rest are all pretty notable for depth, quality and/or rarity. If the problem with too many pedigrees is the SA and BA lists, then I can see that as only the Twin Cities seemed to have what it took to get listed, IMHO.

ALLENTOWN

AURORA

BETHLEHEM

BILLY WRIGHT

BIG APPLE

CARSON CITY

COSMIC AEROPLANE

CRIPPEN D

CROWLEY

CURATOR

DENVER

EDGAR CHURCH/MILE HIGH

GAINES

GREEN RIVER

HAWKEYE

KANSAS CITY

LARSON

LOST VALLEY

MASS

MOHAWK VALLEY

NORTHFORD

NORTHLAND

NOVA SCOTIA

OAKLAND

OHIO

OKAJIMA

PACIFIC COAST

PALO ALTO

PENNSYLVANIA

RIVER CITY

ROCKFORD

ROCKY MOUNTAIN

SAN FRANCISCO

SAVANNAH

SPOKANE

SUSCHA NEWS

TWILIGHT

TWIN CITIES

VANCOUVER

WESTERN PENN

WHITE MOUNTAIN

WINDY CITY

personally i see no reason why there are pedigrees. I really don't care if an old man stored three boxes for 30 years and lived on walnut street.

get a room you two!

but really

Someone's point about SS being akin to pressing (in that you alter the state of the book) is a better (though not perfect) analogy than the argument about slabbed vs unslabbed books.

Any slabbed book can become an unslabbed book and visa versa.

A signed book cannot become an unsigned book.

And in my mind we are just temporary owners of these books until we have to sell them (or our family sells them), so the idea of altering a book that maintains a "1 of 1" type status in our hobby is unthinkable to me since its only mine for a while.

I'm not sure why there is so much criticism about people trying to make money. It's America; that's what we do.

It's only what a portion of you do. And people like making money; they don't like it so much when other people make money.

personally i see no reason why there are pedigrees. I really don't care if an old man stored three boxes for 30 years and lived on walnut street.

Because Money.

Because Money.

:applause:

get a room you two!

but really

Someone's point about SS being akin to pressing (in that you alter the state of the book) is a better (though not perfect) analogy than the argument about slabbed vs unslabbed books.

Any slabbed book can become an unslabbed book and visa versa.

A signed book cannot become an unsigned book.

And in my mind we are just temporary owners of these books until we have to sell them (or our family sells them), so the idea of altering a book that maintains a "1 of 1" type status in our hobby is unthinkable to me since its only mine for a while.

Alright... maybe this will help you see my perspective on the topic.

Anyone with the money to spend can go out and buy a 9.4 or higher Avengers #4 pretty much any time they want. There's almost always one on the market, pedigree or not. A pedigree designation in all reality changes nothing about the book making it unique or as you said 1 of 1. The idea of 1 of 1 means there is not now nor will there ever be another one like it. Here are a couple examples of that. They're the only ones there are and only ones there will ever be.

th_Avengers4bMexico_zps7e8cd118.jpgth_StrangeAdventures205Mexico.jpg

Do the signatures detract from these books? If not, why not? Because they're lower grades? The argument that a signature takes away from the appeal of a high grade, pedigree or not, yet can add to the appeal of a lower grade book is preposterous. You can't have it both ways.

Because Money.

That's not it, at least for the collections truly worthy of being deemed pedigrees.

For those like me who collect high grade SA comics, there are typically dozens of examples of each issue. What makes one of them stand out from the rest is the knowledge that it came from a particular collection that was exceptional for the depth and breadth of its material and the quality of its preservation.

It's cool to own comics that can be traced back to the original collection they came from, and especially to own bunches of comics from the same pedigree collection.

With the rate at which pedigree status is handed out, yeah... anymore pedigree and high grade are interchangeable.

Do you think there were more pedigrees in the 10 years before CGC started "handing them out" or the 10 years after CGC started assigning pedigrees on their slabs?