• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signed Pedigree comics make baby cry.

409 posts in this topic

Oh look! Another thread with the same people whining about what people chose to do with their property. Just because you don't approve doesn't mean it's wrong to submit a high grade book for SS.

Oh look, the same person whining about other people discussing a topic. Just because you think it's fine doesn't make it right. Permanently altering a book you plan on keeping in your possession for 4 seconds before throwing it on eBay for a cash grab sounds crazy to me. Then again, I don't make a living doing comic cash grabs so what do I know (shrug)

Whenever someone says the term "Cash Grab" I picture this:

2e14m.jpg

Oh look! Another thread with the same people whining about what people chose to do with their property. Just because you don't approve doesn't mean it's wrong to submit a high grade book for SS.

thus why I said:

Now a private collector wanting to add a sig to a pedigree book is tough enough to swallow (but its their book so they can do what they want, I guess) but when its an obvious attempt at a money grab from a dealer it just feels a bit like a desecration...

But you know, feel free to just pick and choose which parts to read. (thumbs u

Do you see "high grade book" and "pedigree book" as interchangeable terms (since you changed them)?

[actual question, some people think so little of pedigrees that they dont value them any greater than non-pedigree books of the same grade, thus Im curious if you fall into that camp]

Here's one I bought that is sure to ruffle feathers and gather adoration, all at the same time.

Wings52SS.jpg

a beautiful book to be sure. Least obtrusive sig (in placement and ink choice) I've seen, wonder if the person who got it SSed did that intentionally.

From your perspective Cheetah did you pay the price you felt the Edgar Church copy of the book was worth, or what a signed copy of the Edgar church copy of the book was worth? {and I dont want to know what you actually paid, more about your rationale of value}

(wondering if your valuation factored the signature into it, or it if was peripheral to the books value which was largely based on it being single highest, and being the church copy)

Here's one I bought that is sure to ruffle feathers and gather adoration, all at the same time.

Wings52SS.jpg

Beautiful book, great signature :thumbsup:

Ugh. Seeing Church books, especially HG ones, signed makes me vomit a little in my mouth.

A more relevant question is, will anyone care about comics 50 years from now.

However, I think it's possible that people might feel differently about signed comics in the future. Transplant is correct. Restoration in comics was once a lot more accepted than it is now. Times change. Attitudes change.

Has the attitude toward Restoration changed or has the awareness of restoration changed?

What I mean by that is talking to my LCS - he's been dealing books since the 70s - he used to color touch books without a thought. He said it was the normal thing to do. Take off some spine ticks and make the cover look nice! He looks back on it now and thinks of all the books he ruined in the 80s.

I don't think private collectors had the know how to detect or even notice restoration.

And signed memorabilia has been popular for decades. I just don't think suddenly people are going to stick their noses up to signed stuff.

Wings52SS.jpg

Beautiful book, great signature :thumbsup:

Ugh. Seeing Church books, especially HG ones, signed makes me vomit a little in my mouth.

:gossip: Gene Colan's contributed more to the history of comic books than Edgar Church ever did.

Seeing Church books, especially HG ones, signed makes me vomit a little in my mouth.

On the upside there were over 20,000 books in the Church collection.

Imagine if it was one of the tiny peds like Allentown or Chicago..

heck if I saw an Okajima in SS I dont know what would happen ... :censored::frustrated:

Guest Grails
I kind of want to think that a pedigree book should lose its pedigree designation if it becomes a SS book.

That makes sense. Because once a Church pedigree book has been signed that means it was never owned by Ed and was never part of his collection.

However, I think it's possible that people might feel differently about signed comics in the future. Transplant is correct. Restoration in comics was once a lot more accepted than it is now. Times change. Attitudes change.

Has the attitude toward Restoration changed or has the awareness of restoration changed?

What I mean by that is talking to my LCS - he's been dealing books since the 70s - he used to color touch books without a thought. He said it was the normal thing to do. Take off some spine ticks and make the cover look nice! He looks back on it now and thinks of all the books he ruined in the 80s.

I don't think private collectors had the know how to detect or even notice restoration.

And signed memorabilia has been popular for decades. I just don't think suddenly people are going to stick their noses up to signed stuff.

You could be right. However, my point was that we just don't know. Signed books have been around for decades. CGC's SS program has not been around for anywhere near that long. I have no idea what the attitude will be in 50 years. Plus, if CGC goes belly up before that, it could have a profound effect on slabbed books in general. Pure speculation on my part.

As far as resto is concerned, I would say both the awareness and attitude has changed.

You could be right. However, my point was that we just don't know. Signed books have been around for decades. CGC's SS program has not been around for anywhere near that long. I have no idea what the attitude will be in 50 years. Plus, if CGC goes belly up before that, it could have a profound effect on slabbed books in general. Pure speculation on my part.

As far as resto is concerned, I would say both the awareness and attitude has changed.

OK so if CGC goes out and people don't want slabbed book anymore what is to stop me from cracking my copy of ASM 3 and selling it as a raw, signed book? Not one would ever have to know that CGC touched it.

OK so if CGC goes out and people don't want slabbed book anymore what is to stop me from cracking my copy of ASM 3 and selling it as a raw, signed book? Not one would ever have to know that CGC touched it.

True, but how much could you reasonably be expected to be paid for what is now an unauthenticated signature? You know it's real. How are you going to convince anyone else that it's real?

True, but how much could you reasonably be expected to be paid for what is now an unauthenticated signature? You know it's real. How are you going to convince anyone else that it's real?

And that is why I don't see a CGC SS book suddenly losing value.

Heck there are business devoted to authenticating signatures for collectables. We've cut that out of comics.

Seeing Church books, especially HG ones, signed makes me vomit a little in my mouth.

On the upside there were over 20,000 books in the Church collection.

Imagine if it was one of the tiny peds like Allentown or Chicago..

heck if I saw an Okajima in SS I dont know what would happen ... :censored::frustrated:

That's the thing isn't it....Pedigrees used to MEAN something. There were only a few. Now? There are dozens, and they are given the name to help market and sell them.

ALLENTOWN

AURORA

BETHLEHEM

BILLY WRIGHT

BIG APPLE

CAPE COD

CARSON CITY

CENTRAL VALLEY

CHICAGO

CHINATOWN

CIRCLE 8

COOKEVILLE

COSMIC AEROPLANE

CRIPPEN D

CROWLEY

CURATOR

DENVER

DETROIT TROLLEY

DIAMOND RUN

DON AND MAGGIE THOMPSON

DON ROSA

EDGAR CHURCH/MILE HIGH

ELDON

EDENWALD

GAINES

GREEN RIVER

HAROLD CURTIS

HAWKEYE

HENSCHEL

KANSAS CITY

LARSON

LLOYD JACQUET

LOST VALLEY

MASS

MOHAWK VALLEY

NAPA VALLEY

NEW HAMPSHIRE

NORTHERN CAL

NORTHFORD

NORTHLAND

NOVA SCOTIA

OAKLAND

OHIO

OKAJIMA

PACIFIC COAST

PALO ALTO

PENNSYLVANIA

RECIL MACON

RIVER CITY

ROCKFORD

ROCKY MOUNTAIN

SAN FRANCISCO

SAVANNAH

SELKIRK

SHERWOOD

SPOKANE

SUSCHA NEWS

TOLEDO

TWILIGHT

TWIN CITIES

VAN BUREN

VANCOUVER

WESTERN PENN

WILLIAMSPORT

WHITE MOUNTAIN

WINDY CITY

WINNEPEG

They.

Just.

Keep.

Coming.

And as they do, they dilute the power and importance of pedigree designations overall.

The books are still great, but the fact that they come from a certain collection becomes less and less important, special, and rare.

OR

people could just spend their money on things they like, and do what they want with those things, based on their preferences and life situations.

Lot of rich dudes got rich because they are 'the best' and want to be 'the best'. If one of those rich dudes brought their Avengers loving kid to a comic con, a dealer could talk him into buying the 'the best' for his kid, aka a high grade Avengers pedigree key like #1 or #4. And the pedigree makes it even better!. So he shells out XXXX for the 'best'. He's walking around the con after with his kid, sees Stan Lee signing, his kid asks him to go meet stan lee and sign the book. If you're rich enough or ignorant enough, it doesn't matter to you if the 'value' or 'rarity' or 'artistic integrity' is affected by the sig, if your kid will be happy, you'll be happy.

If a few years later, you're kid isn't into comics anymore, you can throw it up on ebay, if someone bites, great, if not, no biggie.

Is this so unfathomable and immoral? You might do the same thing with an unopened bobblehead at a baseball game or something. "Son, the unopened special edition bobbehead unopened in the box is worth more than the one signed by Bryce Harper. Its worth $20 more in the box. We can't get it signed, sorry, lets go look around for a beat up baseball card to have him sign. To some people, $200 or $2,000 or $20,000 might as well be $20 when it comes to making their kid happy.

There's a lot of different reasons and variables that lead to getting a comic signed, some are more acceptable than others to different people. That's fine. But if I paid that much for a comic, I don't care what anyone else thinks about what i'm doing with it. If I'm trying to sell it, then what's done is done, buy it or don't.

The book in the OP will be fine in 20 years when Stan's sig fades to nothingness. Or maybe it won't if the ink fades to a muddy brown. Or whatever happens to Sharpie ink in 20 years.

I wonder what, if any, reaction happens between Sharpie ink and the gloss of the cover. I hope that whomever is getting books signed is using an archival-quality pen, which the run-of-the-mill Sharpies most assuredly aren't

The book in the OP will be fine in 20 years when Stan's sig fades to nothingness. Or maybe it won't if the ink fades to a muddy brown. Or whatever happens to Sharpie ink in 20 years.

I wonder what, if any, reaction happens between Sharpie ink and the gloss of the cover. I hope that whomever is getting books signed is using an archival-quality pen, which the run-of-the-mill Sharpies most assuredly aren't

I like pentel india inking pens...and for special books, paint pens.