• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signed Pedigree comics make baby cry.

409 posts in this topic

I don't necessarily agree with Northland AV4 being signed though. At least not by Stan Lee(most common signature you can find on a marvel SS) and Joe Simon

Who would you agree could sign the book? (shrug)

Stan Lee wrote Avengers #4, so there is a direct connection. If you object to him signing the book, then you're pretty much objecting to anybody signing it.

I disagree with it because the AV4 was a one of the kind book in the Northland Pedigree. I'm sure there are plenty of other high grade AV4s that the seller could have got signed and then maybe actually flipped them for a profit, instead of listing the book for a absolutely ludicrous price that it might never sell at.

I actually like iscomics genius suggestion!

I just magically found out the owner of every single Pedigree book, also found out their emails, and also made them sell me every Pedigree book they own. Now, I don't have to worry about any more SS Pedigrees!

That dude is freaking smart!!! (worship)

It seems to be the general thought process is...

1. It's ok for CGC to have this Pedigree grade that magically makes a comic of a grade more valuable then another identical comic of the same grade just because of who purchased it and where it has been sitting for 40 or 50 years thus making people more money.

2. It's ok for creators to sign said comics and make money.

3. It's not ok for people to get them signed and make money because that is then considered greed.

That doesn't make any sense to me at all.

1. It's ok for CGC to have this Pedigree grade that magically makes a comic of a grade more valuable then another identical comic of the same grade just because of who purchased it and where it has been sitting for 40 or 50 years thus making people more money.

It doesn't make sense to you because you've got it wrong. ;)

Collections were given pedigree designations long before CGC came into existence, and indeed more collections were recognized as deserving of pedigree status in the years before CGC than the years during.

As for value, it's buyers that dictate whether a particular pedigree copy commands more than a non-pedigree one. Some collections get a significant premium (Church, Curator, White Mountain, etc) and others get none (Savannah, Mohawk Valley, etc).

That isn't what I said at all.

You can't call one greed and the other two as being acceptable practice as they all profit in this situation.

I don't necessarily agree with Northland AV4 being signed though. At least not by Stan Lee(most common signature you can find on a marvel SS) and Joe Simon

Stan Lee wrote Avengers #4, so there is a direct connection. If you object to him signing the book, then you're pretty much objecting to anybody signing it.

Yes, I object to anybody signing the Northland near mint copy of Avengers #4.

Your mileage may vary.

Too late. :roflmao:

I just magically found out the owner of every single owner of a Pedigree book, also found out their emails, and also made them sell me every Pedigree book they own. Now, I don't have to worry about any more SS Pedigrees!

Stop acting like your pedigree fascination is all about the books. At some point down the road you'll be looking to sell them and asking more because of it. Everyone collects what they want the way they want to. If someone out there wants to build a SS collection with pedigrees then who are you to tell them they're wrong? You don't have to like it but you also don't have to disparage them for doing it. Again... their book, their call.

PS: It's lscomics. That's LSCOMICS for the reading impaired.

Your mileage may vary.

I just magically found out the owner of every single owner of a Pedigree book, also found out their emails, and also made them sell me every Pedigree book they own. Now, I don't have to worry about any more SS Pedigrees!

Stop acting like your pedigree fascination is all about the books. At some point down the road you'll be looking to sell them and asking more because of it. Everyone collects what they want the way they want to. If someone out there wants to build a SS collection with pedigrees then who are you to tell them they're wrong? You don't have to like it but you also don't have to disparage them for doing it. Again... their book, their call.

Good god you are dense!!!

1st off, let me know when you see me selling ANY of my Avengers Pedigrees. The day that happens, either absolute catastrophe has hit me financially or I'm dead and my son is selling them. It won't happen. I have doubles and triples of issues and have never even thought of selling an undercopy and have refused MANY requests to.

2nd, did you really just say reading impaired?!? I've said MANY times if a SS guy like Fingh wants a SS Ped for his collection, that's fine by me. My problem is people that care NOTHING bout the book and just think they can squeeze a few more bucks out of it with a sig. I see Peds gets bought, next day they are on eBay for double the price. They sit for 6-12 months so the owner gets them SSd and jacks the price even more. That's my problem! Not someone who wants it for their collection, someone who just wants it for their eBay store?

Understand yet or still too desperately worried about losing a SS sale to understand???

That isn't what I said at all.

You can't call one greed and the other two as being acceptable practice as they all profit in this situation.

you've still got it wrong but keep swinging.

nah.....I hit that one so hard it landed in the Devil Ray's Tank and pissed off PETA.

3. It's not ok for people to get them signed and make money because that is then considered greed.

1. the only pedigrees that are usually worth more are the ones that show distinctive quality over their non-ped counterparts.

A Savannah Batman 232 (CGC 9.0) just sold for $331.

A "regular" 9.0 232 has a $330 12 mo average, and the last one just sold for $425.

Why? The market doesnt really value the Savannah ped over its non-ped versions.

For the pedigrees that are valued over their non-ped counterparts, the "money making" is an after-effect. The books weren't collected to create a pedigree, they were just collected. Books (at least the ones that are most disturbing) that are signed for the sake of "money making" are the ones that make me sad (ie the guy flipping a now signed Northland AV4).

(now this isnt to say that it's in CGC's interest to assign a pedigree, cause that increases the liklihood of them people submitting those books for slabbin' and taggin', but that's CGC money making, not regular collector money making ;) but I think they dont want to water down their pedigreeing either)

Anyone know if CGC mandates archival sharpies be used these days? What would be ideal would be if CGC were to mandate soft pencils be used in order to qualify for authentication.

A signature done with a soft tip pencil would not only present better, it would alleviate the butthurt with a simple eraser.

1. the only pedigrees that are usually worth more are the ones that show distinctive quality over their non-ped counterparts.

A Savannah Batman 232 (CGC 9.0) just sold for $331.

A "regular" 9.0 232 has a $330 12 mo average, and the last one just sold for $425.

Why? The market doesnt really value the Savannah ped over its non-ped versions.

For the pedigrees that are valued over their non-ped counterparts, the "money making" is an after-effect. The books weren't collected to create a pedigree, they were just collected. Books (at least the ones that are most disturbing) that are signed for the sake of "money making" are the ones that make me sad (ie the guy flipping a now signed Northland AV4).

(now this isnt to say that it's in CGC's interest to assign a pedigree, cause that increases the liklihood of them people submitting those books for slabbin' and taggin', but that's CGC money making, not regular collector money making ;) but I think they dont want to water down their pedigreeing either)

Is Matthew Hensman the dealer who had all these books signed? What's his deal? Is he a full-time comic dealer? I'd never heard of him before this. Is he a boardie?

Stop acting like your pedigree fascination is all about the books. At some point down the road you'll be looking to sell them and asking more because of it.

I can't speak for the person to whom you replied, but I have many books, including some pedigrees, that will not be sold again in my lifetime unless I upgrade.

Aside from whether signing pedigree books is ethical, I would be willing to bet that it decreases the value of high grade books. Most high-grade collectors like me would prefer an unsigned book. To me, if a book has a signature, it's no higher than a VG in grade, regardless of what the CGC holder says. A Sig Series book with a 9.6 in the corner means about as much as a 9.6 with brittle pages or a GLOD 9.6 with a married cover.

Stop acting like your pedigree fascination is all about the books. At some point down the road you'll be looking to sell them and asking more because of it.

I can't speak for the person to whom you replied, but I have many books, including some pedigrees, that will not be sold again in my lifetime unless I upgrade.

Aside from whether signing pedigree books is ethical, I would be willing to bet that it decreases the value of high grade books. Most high-grade collectors like me would prefer an unsigned book. To me, if a book has a signature, it's no higher than a VG in grade, regardless of what the CGC holder says. A Sig Series book with a 9.6 in the corner means about as much as a 9.6 with brittle pages or a GLOD 9.6 with a married cover.

Anyone and I mean ANYONE on here that knows me even the slightest bit knows for a fact that I would NEVER sell my Avengers Pedigree books. NEVER! It has absolutely zero to do with what I might be able to resell them for later and is 100% about the books! Hell, I just bought two early 9.8 copies that I already had 9.6 and 9.4 copies of. I can guarantee you that you will NOT see those undercopies for sale here or anywhere else! Iscomics :baiting: couldn't be further off base if he tried on this one. Sometimes though, when you only care about the resale value of comics, it makes you feel better to just project that onto others and act like there aren't collectors that could care less about resale value of their books.

And just for the record, even my non Avengers Pedigrees, I've sold exactly one in my life. And even that one was sold to a friend on here and I ended up buying it back from him like 3 months later (thumbs u

Other people can think they're stupid and not worth the extra money(even though MANY times they don't cost anything extra) and that's fine. I love Pedigree books and it has absolutely ZERO to do with what they may be sold for somewhere down the road. ZERO :gossip:

Your mileage may vary.

Good god you are dense!!!

1st off, let me know when you see me selling ANY of my Avengers Pedigrees. The day that happens, either absolute catastrophe has hit me financially or I'm dead and my son is selling them. It won't happen. I have doubles and triples of issues and have never even thought of selling an undercopy and have refused MANY requests to.

2nd, did you really just say reading impaired?!? I've said MANY times if a SS guy like Fingh wants a SS Ped for his collection, that's fine by me. My problem is people that care NOTHING bout the book and just think they can squeeze a few more bucks out of it with a sig. I see Peds gets bought, next day they are on eBay for double the price. They sit for 6-12 months so the owner gets them SSd and jacks the price even more. That's my problem! Not someone who wants it for their collection, someone who just wants it for their eBay store?

Understand yet or still too desperately worried about losing a SS sale to understand???

And clearly you're just as dense. If I'm all about flipping then where are my ebay auctions? Current sales thread? That's right... they don't exist.

I've got news for you. Sean and I probably both have the same amount of love for the SS program. Do I have as many books as him? No. But that doesn't mean I'm in it for a profit. Have I sold SS books? Yes. A few years back the focus of my collection changed completely and I sold off the books that no longer fit into that focus. I never asked for ridiculously high prices and in most cases came down on the price. There were at least a dozen books I took a loss on. Now explain to me how it is I'm worried about losing a SS sale again.