• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signed Pedigree comics make baby cry.

409 posts in this topic

Hee-haw

The best inside jokes are the ones that are more than 3 years old and there are no more than 4 people that know its meaning.

I don't think anyone else at the table was listening to us. Angelo might remember. Are you coming in August? We haven't had dinner in a long time.

I will be at the show. It's close to home. I should be able to sneak away from family for a while.

Probably any book for which there aren't that many high grade copies is going cause wincing when it's signed. Pedigree keys just seem that much more rarified.

In this case, the nature of the sigs is bothersome as well. Stan Lee's sig is so common, that it feels pointless to put it on such a valuable book, and while Simon co-created Captain America, he had nothing to do with this particular comic, and his sig feels like a proxy for Jack Kirby's, who obviously isn't available. They actually seem to lessen the appeal, which is probably why no one is going to pay the premium being asked for them.

Conversely, the Frazetta sig on the high grade Tally-Ho added to the appeal in my opinion. 1) Because Frazetta's sig is practically a work of art itself, and 2) It's a book that only has value because it contains Frazetta's first work.

I've already said how I feel a few times. Of course I love Peds and don't like SS so I'm against it.

That said, if someone like Fingh who LOVES SS books wants to get a Ped signed for his collection, I have no problem with it. My problem is people who have them signed for no reason other than to jack the price and flip them. I don't like that. I do get people's argument about the watering down of Pedigrees and certain Peds books not being a problem getting SSd.

Personally for selfish reasons, I HATE the fact that an eBay seller had the Suscha News Avengers 1 SSd with HORRIFIC sig placement. I really wanted that book since it was the perfect #1 for my Pedigree run and now it's ruined in my mind. Still, I understand why people don't think it's any big deal that a 5.5 Suscha book got "defaced". It does suck for me though :sorry:

It depends on the book. It depends on the ped. It depends on the grade.

You are right J, but I think any Ped Key regardless of which ped would be sad. Even the lesser ones.

I dont know that I would wince at a signed non-key from a lesser ped, especially if it was something from the Bronze era.

But when we are talking Ped Keys I just think "but thats the only one!" (an irrational thought I know)...

I hear what you're saying. I get more worked up because that book is a 9.4. Why anyone would get a silver or gold key above 9.0 signed is beyond me? (unless it's merely for profit, that is :/ Even if I don't agree, I understand why that happens)

I would never have SS'd that Northland Avengers 4, but I think it looks great and the census shows that there are plenty out there:

Near Mint/Mint 9.8 3 0 0 0 3

Near Mint + 9.6 12 0 0 0 12

Near Mint 9.4 27 0 2 4 33

I would never have SS'd that Northland Avengers 4, but I think it looks great and the census shows that there are plenty out there:

True but how many HG Pedigree copies are there 9.4+? Maybe 3-4 tops?

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me that the VAST majority of Pedigree collectors I know do NOT want a SS Pedigree book whatsoever. It seems to me like it REALLY limits the resale potential of the book (shrug)

Heaven forbid anytime in the next 50 years there occurs an event that puts into questions the legitimacy of every SS book. What if the SS program falls apart? How much are collectors going to enjoy having all those SS pedigree books then?

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me that the VAST majority of Pedigree collectors I know do NOT want a SS Pedigree book whatsoever. It seems to me like it REALLY limits the resale potential of the book (shrug)

Looks like at least 3 according to gpa.

The 9.6 Pacific Coast and 9.4 Northland and Boston copies.

Heaven forbid anytime in the next 50 years there occurs an event that puts into questions the legitimacy of every SS book. What if the SS program falls apart? How much are collectors going to enjoy having all those SS pedigree books then?

Honestly, I can't think of one Pedigree collector I know on the boards that would buy an SS Pedigree book unless it went for dirt cheap and was just a screaming buy they couldn't pass up hm

I agree. One more reason it looks like a cash grab rather than someone wanting to connect creators with their work.

I see you you've started keeping a daydream journal.

The worst SS example I've ever seen was the J.I.M. #84 CGC 9.2 or 9.4.

That is such a tough book in high grade that I regard that as an act of vandalism.

+1