• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signed Pedigree comics make baby cry.

409 posts in this topic

Recoil Macon books are cool because we know who he was, where he lived, and that he had OCD when it came to filling out coupons on his books. Eldon books are cool because we aren't as sure who Eldon was but he always put his first name on a book. And they both collected some very cool books.

Hi I am new to this board. My name is Chris and I am Recil Macon's great nephew. He was my grandmother's younger brother. I have collected comics off and on all of my life. Sadly, I was never able to view Recil's books. When I was 12 years old and very into comic books, I inquired through my grandmother regarding seeing his collection, not knowing what he had, but knowing the little shack where they were kept that was located behind his house. He denied me the opportunity to see these books for some reason, probably thinking I just wanted to thumb through them and mess them up. I don't know. A few years ago, when I found out the whole story, I was so pissed. I mean, really mad about the fact that they let those books go the way they did. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few more with his son. Who knows.

So...now I am out to get many of those books back. I realize it will be very challenging and expensive. But I am not without means.

Wish me look and I am very glad I found this website. Thanks very much.

By the way, I am pretty sure "Eldon" is Eldon Killibrew. He was from Potosi, Texas, about 100 miles from where Recil lived. I saw his collection many years ago. It was massive and none of it was stored properly, much like Recil's lol.

Recoil Macon books are cool because we know who he was, where he lived, and that he had OCD when it came to filling out coupons on his books. Eldon books are cool because we aren't as sure who Eldon was but he always put his first name on a book. And they both collected some very cool books.

Hi I am new to this board. My name is Chris and I am Recil Macon's great nephew. He was my grandmother's younger brother. I have collected comics off and on all of my life. Sadly, I was never able to view Recil's books. When I was 12 years old and very into comic books, I inquired through my grandmother regarding seeing his collection, not knowing what he had, but knowing the little shack where they were kept that was located behind his house. He denied me the opportunity to see these books for some reason, probably thinking I just wanted to thumb through them and mess them up. I don't know. A few years ago, when I found out the whole story, I was so pissed. I mean, really mad about the fact that they let those books go the way they did. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few more with his son. Who knows.

So...now I am out to get many of those books back. I realize it will be very challenging and expensive. But I am not without means.

By the way, I am pretty sure "Eldon" is Eldon Killibrew. He was from Potosi, Texas, about 100 miles from where Recil lived. I saw his collection many years ago. It was massive and none of it was stored properly, much like Recil's lol.

Hey, Welcome to the Boards, Chris. Great to have you here. You should post and visit the Gold Forum too here - http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=15&page=1

Hi Chris. Interesting story. I've owned quite a few Recil Macon books over the years. If you follow this link: http://www.comicbookpedigrees.com/pedigrees.php#RECIL_MACON you'll be able to see many scans from the collection, as well as a little background of what's known about the collection.

West

Wow, what an amazing first post!

Hi I am new to this board. My name is Chris and I am Recil Macon's great nephew.

Definitely. :applause:

Chris, any background you can add about Recil, Eldon, and their collections would be of interest to historians and collectors.

Hi I am new to this board. My name is Chris and I am Recil Macon's great nephew.

Definitely. :applause:

Chris, any background you can add about Recil, Eldon, and their collections would be of interest to historians and collectors.

+1

Im not the only one that thinks this right?

I like the SS program. I like signed books. And I know that a "pedigree" is not as lofty a moniker as it once was but stil....

Taking a pedigree book, especially a KEY one and then having it SSed for the sake of trying to further squeeze profit out of a book just makes me (and Baby Jesus) sad.

Just saw this one over on ebay (below)

That's the Northland Ped Avengers 4 with a Stan & Joe Simon sig on it. Now being listed for more than $13,000 more than it was purchased for originally.

I know there have been others, but this one (and its ridiculous price tag) just was the latest...

Now a private collector wanting to add a sig to a pedigree book is tough enough to swallow (but its their book so they can do what they want, I guess) but when its an obvious attempt at a money grab from a dealer it just feels a bit like a desecration...

I don't I like getting anything over a 7 signed however that book is signed by the late great Joe Simon and Stan the man. I can do without Stan but I love that joe Simon signature. To me that book is gold because of that.

Hi again. Not sure if I should really post any more in this thread...don't want to hijack it... :angel:

When I was growing up, I didn't know him by Recil. He didn't go by that. Everyone called him Sonny. I mean everyone. Didn't really see him that often...he was a truck driver and often away on the road. He lived directly behind my great grandmother's house, and that's the location of the infamous "shack" where the books miraculously survived in such good condition. Stamford, Texas is one of the hottest places on earth in the summer, so I have absolutely no idea how they didn't bake in there...must have been the safe that kept them dark enough to keep well. I am greatly confused as to why he felt taking them down the road to Abilene to sell them was a good idea. Apparently, this began shortly before the rise of the internet, so that would somewhat explain not knowing where or to whom you should go to sell such things in the marketplace. Beyond that, I don't know any more than what's out there as far as information goes. I don't even know how many books they let go or many of the specific titles.

What I do know is that Recil/Sonny knew these books had value. Perhaps he was trying to raise money for his son, who would have been college age at that point. (Note that his son was born significantly later in Recil's life...I believe this may have been because Recil's wife was younger than he was so he got a late start on the family thing.) I had moved away by that point and was unaware any of this was going on. Sigh. :(

Regarding Eldon Killibrew, he also wrote his name on many of his books early on. They were stored standing up, unbagged/unboarded/etc. in boxes in a dark closet inside of a mobile home. He had literally every key Marvel book you can imagine. Entire runs in pristine condition. This was in the early 1980s when I saw his collection. Thousands of books. I don't know what ever became of him but it sounds like his stuff is hitting the market if they are truly his. That's really all I know about him.

Heaven forbid anytime in the next 50 years there occurs an event that puts into questions the legitimacy of every SS book. What if the SS program falls apart? How much are collectors going to enjoy having all those SS pedigree books then?

I see you you've started keeping a daydream journal.

Yea even if CGC falls apart, I don't see why people would lose interest in signed stuff. This seems like some serious backward thinking.

I get why people shouldn't get Pedigree's signed, but the notion that people won't like signatures in 50 years is backward.

Comics themselves may be heading down the road of Hummels and tulip bulbs. The market for signed comics has changed quite a bit since the dawn of the SS. It will be interesting to see what kind of staying power it has.

I'm only on page 6, but this made me spit coffee...