• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What pedigrees do you NOT own, but would like to?

44 posts in this topic

I'd guess that a Gaines file of Frontline Combat or Two-fisted Tales would run you a lot less than the horror or sci-fi titles.

Yeah, and as much as I love the Horror and Sci-fi titles, I've recently really gotten into the War books, so it would please me to no end to get one of the Gaines copies.

I'd guess that a Gaines file of Frontline Combat or Two-fisted Tales would run you a lot less than the horror or sci-fi titles.

Yeah, and as much as I love the Horror and Sci-fi titles, I've recently really gotten into the War books, so it would please me to no end to get one of the Gaines copies.

The Vault had a few that didn't break the bank in their last auction, but they were generally VF+/VFNMs. Still beautiful books, though. It depends if you want nothing below 9.2.

Nothing would be finer than a GA 9.6 Church book...of course I'm also partial to the Boston DC's...especially the Showcase #60... cloud9.gif

I still amazed to this day on the quality of the GA church collection. 9.6's, 9.8's just unheard of. Didn't Chuck have most of these stored in 4 foot stacks in his living room?

I would love to get an issue from the Carson City (Comstock) collection. Never even seen one for sale.... confused-smiley-013.gif

Alan

I agree that Carson City books very seldom ever come into the marketplace. Maybe there's just not that many around. I guess I'll just have to settle for the one book which I have from this collection.

The one pedigree that I would really like to obtain a book from is the San Franciscos. This pedigree has always eluded me ever since I passed up on two GA Marvel Mystery books in my first SD con not realizing they were SF books. foreheadslap.gif

The other ones that I am interested in are some of the Silver Age pedigrees such as Curator and Western Penn. No hurry here since they seem to be readily available in the marketplace and can be picked up rather cheaply since most of the common SA and BA books are still priced quite low in guide.

Just a matter of picking the right book, although these later pedigrees just does not carry the same mystique as the GA pedigrees.

I agree that Carson City books very seldom ever come into the marketplace. Maybe there's just not that many around. I guess I'll just have to settle for the one book which I have from this collection.

Which book do you have from the Comstock load, lou?

I own a Gaines File issue of Panic #7...that's another one of the gaines titles you can get without breaking the bank, though you'll still have to pay a premium...

Yep, an Edgar Church or Gaines File Copy! Can't go wrong with either one! thumbsup2.gif

Comstocks are beautiful books and have a wonderful story behind them....bit of a duel also developed between Wilson and Gerber on these..

I have Weird 1, SuperWorld 1 and Speed 1....all exceptional ....jon

Jon (see, I got it right this time!),

Is the story about the pedigree in Mike Richardson's Comics Between the Panels accurate? There's conflicting reports about who got the bulk of the collection, Wilson or Gerber. Also, do you know if Geppi ultimately ended up with most of them? And were the disbursements to Wilson and Gerber the only books present or did more surface lurking in the 11 sheds? Finally, was the Comstock find mostly first issues, or am I just confusing it with the Denver and Windy City ones?

Ack! So many questions! 893frustrated.gif Sorry....

Alan

Comstocks are beautiful books and have a wonderful story behind them....bit of a duel also developed between Wilson and Gerber on these..

I have Weird 1, SuperWorld 1 and Speed 1....all exceptional ....jon

Jon;

Welcome and it's great to see you on these boards!

I am sure that your extensive knowledge and experience in collecting will add some insightful and valuable information to the other board members here on this forum. thumbsup2.gif

Looking forward to many more posts from you in the future including some of the background stories behind some of the major GA finds. gossip.gif

San Fran definitely. I'm waiting for Timely however, not a DC.

As a sidenote I saw a few of you have posted about picking up a Church copy, I recently picked up another Church copy from Metro at Wizard Chicago...Fight Comics #78...beautiful book...they still have a nice selection of Church Jumbos and Jungles unslabbed. Great opportunity to pick one up raw...figure a half grade lower however from the Metro grade...(but you all knew that anyway ;-)

I would certainly like to own a Church and a curator. I actually would like copies from most of the nice pedigrees, but I dont think I would pay much extra for most of them. Maybe if i were Major Nelson I could wish for those books

601008-jeannie1.jpg.342d13a4bc26416f6810e909a289fbee.jpg

I'd really like a book from the Menendez Pedigree

I hear those are Killer books.

I wanna take a stab at getting them

Does anyone have that CBM that suppossedly mentions this "pedigree." Somehow I doubt their father bought that comic off the stands but I guess it is possible.

I have the CBM issue, but I have no idea where it is. The Menendez Pedigree is was not an article but a published letter. It's title was something like "Bizarre Pedigree"