• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,027 posts in this topic

Nice book, and a great story -- it was "inspired" by the Theodore Sturgeon short story -- KILLDOZER, where an alien life form takes over a giant steam-shovel and wrecks havoc!

It was also a great 70s made-for-TV movie, by the way.

KILLDOZER, with Clint Walker, Robert Urich, Neville Brand, Carl Betz. I never understood why the one guy crawled inside of a tin pipe to hide, and then got crushed. Not the best place to hide I guess. lol

DR.X

Not looking at the census, I am wondering what would we be the other scarce issues in the Strange Tales, TTA and TOS runs. I curious to hear other borad member opinions and experiances. :shy:

JIM 51 and 60 also seem to be very hard to get a hold of.

hm

JIM60new.jpg

I recently helped a friend complete his pre marvel set with the purchase of a JIM 54. It would probably be 9.0 but it has a long 5'" "shelf" of a pre marvel tear that is still firmly attached but would probably bring it down to a 7.5 or so. He's been collecting these since the mid 70's and picked up MANY high grade examples from Verzyl, Redbeard, etc. back when they could be had for less than 50 bucks. My point is, we had HUGE trouble finding a respectable copy....he didn't even have a Robert Bell VG. I'm curious as to which pre hero is the rarest in grade according to the rest of you. I'd definitely have to give JIM 54 my vote....and CGC has only certified one copy at 5.5. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

JIM 52 was the toughest hold-out for me, but I'm not a high grade guy.

I think in this case the Census truly does inform. One copy in 5.5 for 54 would definitely suggest there are just not many HG copies to be had. Very interesting. This will be a great topic for us to compare notes on in the coming weeks.

I'm not the best contributor on this topic as I am happy with nicely presenting 4.0 - 6.0 mid-grade. Did manage to finally pick up a nice 5.0 TTA 34 which I will post here shortly when in hand...

Not looking at the census, I am wondering what would we be the other scarce issues in the Strange Tales, TTA and TOS runs. I'm curious to hear other board member opinions and experiances. :shy:

JIM 51 and 60 also seem to be very hard to get a hold of.

hm

JIM60new.jpg

You teaser (thumbs u

Edited by crimson dynamo

Haven't checked all these on the census....but ST 68-71, & 74 seem tough. JIM 50-54 also. Don't see a lot of SW 3 and 5. None of them are easy, but these runs certainly don't fit the old dictum that anyone with money can put together any SA run in high grade in a year or so. Fun books for someone who likes a challenge. It would probably take a few years to get the run Tom wants....solid "old school" Fine copies. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. Don't see many nice TTA 23's...but that's probably because I'd like one.

Edited by jimjum12

I had a horrible time with TTA #2. I finally got a lower grade copy that I way overpaid for because I really wanted it. You see many more #1s than you do #2s, and for me that seems to be the TTA that I see least frequently. I mainly go after TTA and TOS, but am just starting to pick up a few JIMs here and there. Like trmoore I also like well-presenting mid-grades but will pick up stunners when the budget allows.

I had a horrible time with TTA #2.

You mean like this one?

TTA02.jpg

tta2.jpg

Yes, like that one. :whistle:

Nice book (looks like the same copy reslabbed)! :applause: Even if I can't own them I can grab the scans! Even now that I own one I still consider that a nemesis book.

Already posted these in Comic Events in my WW Austin show recap, but they definitely belong here too. Thanks to Richard (Bedrock) for the TOS and Worldwide for the AAF & JIM.

Nice books! (thumbs u

Thanks Korvac! Hey, would you happen to know if there are any 10 cent copies of JIM #76 out there? I have only seen the overprints and 12 cent covers, and didn't know if any of the 10 cent versions squeaked out before they overprinted the new prices. If there are any out there they must be pretty :censored: rare.

Rich/Mysterio,

I don't know what old widow you're robbin' blind, but I'm jealous.

Or did you find the secret burial yard of pre-hero comics?

I did a quick survey from the census a while ago and figured out that the ST

and JIM pre-heroes are about half as common as ToS and TtA in higher grades.

I presume that's due to the #1 start to the latter two. Any thoughts?