• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,011 posts in this topic

Just average pages on this one, but it IS the variant price cover :)

JIM%2076_zpswnilaspj.jpg

Cool books Frisco ! I like your taste. It seems like I see more of the Pricing Variant on the 76 than the regular edition. The census does not distinguish between the two so it's difficult to say.

I feel like I see more of the variant too. Since it is on the label CGC ought to be able to add a slot for the variant in the pre-hero JIM set. I think it's time to make a request...

Hey Frisco. You made some nice choices for your foray into the SA Marvels. I feel the same about PQ. I'll take a lesser cover with nicer pages over vice versa. BTW - I am especially fond of those Strange Worlds. Such a difference between 2's classic sci-fi cover and 3's Kirby big monster.

Thanks Jim! Amazing Adventures 3 & 4 continue to be elusive in high-grade for me. Here's the set in progress:

aa_1_zpsf86a15bc.jpg

AA_2_zpsa91fdcce.jpg

aa_5_zpsf06a1a41.jpg

aa_6_zps585b851a.jpg

-bc

...it's not just you......3 and 4 are tough......4 maybe the toughest. Now that #1, I still can't, for the life of me, figure out why a couple grand can still snag a VF on that book....... GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Thanks Jim! Amazing Adventures 3 & 4 continue to be elusive in high-grade for me. Here's the set in progress:

aa_1_zpsf86a15bc.jpg

AA_2_zpsa91fdcce.jpg

aa_5_zpsf06a1a41.jpg

aa_6_zps585b851a.jpg

-bc

...it's not just you......3 and 4 are tough......4 maybe the toughest. Now that #1, I still can't, for the life of me, figure out why a couple grand can still snag a VF on that book....... GOD BLESS....

Agreed, both #3 and #4 are difficult. I'd like to upgrade from my 6.0 and 6.5, respectively, but you just never see them. #6 is no picnic either. Meanwhile, #2 is almost common above Fine (relatively speaking, of course). I love this run, as well as AAF. :cloud9:

AA 6 is kind of a favorite......it's the issue where I realized, in my mind, that George Klein inked the first two issues of the Fantastic Four. It also happens to be the one that looks the best in high grade (IMHO).....I've never had one above Fine. GOD BLESS....

JIM%2076_zpswnilaspj.jpg

Cool books Frisco ! I like your taste. It seems like I see more of the Pricing Variant on the 76 than the regular edition. The census does not distinguish between the two so it's difficult to say.

I feel like I see more of the variant too. Since it is on the label CGC ought to be able to add a slot for the variant in the pre-hero JIM set. I think it's time to make a request...

I did request a separate slot in the registry for the pricing variant, and Gemma came through! She said it would take about a week for the registry to update with the splitting of #76 into variant and non-variant, and then she can add the slot. So now we will get to see the ratio in the books that are graded.

JIM%2076_zpswnilaspj.jpg

I did request a separate slot in the registry for the pricing variant, and Gemma came through! She said it would take about a week for the registry to update with the splitting of #76 into variant and non-variant, and then she can add the slot. So now we will get to see the ratio in the books that are graded.

Thank you very much !

-bc

I'm not sure if these belong in this thread but they are Kirby and I thought you may enjoy seeing them.....

IMG_4278.jpg

My copies are rags to your riches

Ditto. I think if you added the grades for my RK #22 and TGK #107 together you might get close to a 7.5. Great books that definitely belong in this thread!

These books are totally amazing to me - never realized that there was a PHM-Western cross-over connection! Thanks for the continuing education credits!

-bc

Not sure if others have seen this, but I found it interesting:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ditkomania/conversations/topics/3314

It also got me looking into the Post-PHM legacy on the GCD:

"I'm struck by the fact that TOS #54 (June 1964) was special for a reason previously unknown to me -- it carried the last Marvel (non-series) fantasy 5-pager of the early 1960s: "Skrang Strikes Tonight!" by Stan Lee, Larry Lieber & Ayers. The final non-series 5-pagers in the other anthologies came earlier: Strange Tales #113 (Oct. 1963; which had two fantasy back-ups including one by Lee & Ditko), Tales to Astonish #54 (April 1964) and Journey into Mystery #104 (May 1964). The end of an era!"

So TOS54 appears to be the end of the line if you extend "PHM" and exclude the Tales of the Watcher/Wasp/Asgard stories.

Sorry if I'm re-hashing something discussed pages ago, lost track of all the rabbit holes this single thread has taken me in this hobby!

-bc

I wish I could get my scanner to stop putting that moire on gray and brown :frustrated:

JJ - have you tried selecting Descreen in your scanner settings? If it is not readily apparent you may have to look for Advanced Settings. It takes longer to scan but can make a big difference.

If you are on;ly scanning from the printers touch panel, you should try using the HP software from your computer. When you choose Scan from there you should see an Advanced Settings to click on. Not sure if Descreen is offered though. DId a lot of searching but no direct answers. :(