• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,011 posts in this topic

46 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

This one’s the first Marvel horror comic?  The cover is insane.  I love it

Its actually a Canadian edition I got off the 'bay 20+ years ago. If you notice the issue number on the cover it's "35" instead of "32".

I've seen a couple other Canadian versions over the years, but they are pretty rare.

-bc

On 2/2/2021 at 4:36 PM, bc said:

MT_96_Cover.jpg.b90f3f0626f066b8709dc399fd395e41.jpg

Since I'm too lazy to go upstairs to my desktop computer, figure I'd just quote myself.

This is another Canadian edition. It's identical to the US version #95, but is issued by Bell Features and is numbered #96. I posted this over in the GA forums a long time ago. Got contacted by a real nice guy at comics.org who asked for a bunch of pics & more detailed info on every interior page. Didn't realize until a few years later they actually used my copy in their database :)

https://www.comics.org/issue/1593070/

image.png.29f34c7ac4171635f4c9f3a2c599416f.png

Wonder if any of your foreign editions may need catalogued @Frisco Larson ? That's what made me remember this in the first place....

-bc

16 minutes ago, frozentundraguy said:

Just arrived today, suddenly faster shipping again. Cover by Russ Heath, better known for his work on war books.

JourneyIUW_49.jpg

The amount of detail in the inks on that cover is amazing. To bad it all stopped after the Implosion - wish they would have continued that artistry into the PHM era.

Very nice pickup!

-bc

18 minutes ago, bc said:

The amount of detail in the inks on that cover is amazing. To bad it all stopped after the Implosion - wish they would have continued that artistry into the PHM era.

Very nice pickup!

-bc

Thanks. (thumbsu

I'm going to be on the lookout for one in higher grade, but given my experience with WOM #1 that could take a while. The detail level is incredible, especially the crumbling brick wall as the metal man grazes it as he lumbers by. 

16 hours ago, bc said:

Since I'm too lazy to go upstairs to my desktop computer, figure I'd just quote myself.

This is another Canadian edition. It's identical to the US version #95, but is issued by Bell Features and is numbered #96. I posted this over in the GA forums a long time ago. Got contacted by a real nice guy at comics.org who asked for a bunch of pics & more detailed info on every interior page. Didn't realize until a few years later they actually used my copy in their database :)

https://www.comics.org/issue/1593070/

image.png.29f34c7ac4171635f4c9f3a2c599416f.png

Wonder if any of your foreign editions may need catalogued @Frisco Larson ? That's what made me remember this in the first place....

-bc

I really don't know. I honestly didn't think there was much interest in the foreign publications that I collect. Of course, I just LOVE them, as to me, they're the cousins of my beloved Atlas and Marvel books. If anyone else has interest in them, they can surely contact me here and I will try to help fill in any blanks that I can.  (thumbsu

13 minutes ago, Frisco Larson said:

Looking at some of my PHM books has me wondering if any of the collectors here gravitate to the "monster" type cover books more than the "other" type cover books. Examples below of what I mean. Monster type first ;)

20210205_090802.png

20210205_090821.png

Good Friday question man!

I prefer the classic Monster covers, but there are some great stories & covers in the Other books as well.

Actually, the Monster cover books account for a relatively small percent of the PHM era. The Monster cover period started in mid-1960 and only lasted until fall 1961 - which coincides with the rise of the superhero titles. The beginning of the series and the last year or so all of the PHM titles were predominantly the "Other" type books.

Maybe it took too much effort to keep coming up with the nearly-monosyllabic Monster names & stories while they were busy formulating the birth of the Marvel Universe? Once they knew they had a hit with Fantastic Four, a smart businessman would jump on that money train and shift resources accordingly. In 1962 we get Spidey, Hulk & Thor and the rest is history until the PHM era ends in '63. Not only did they have to dream up the superheroes, they needed equally compelling adversaries to match up against. Personally, I'd rather have consumers latching on to the new superhero titles than being pulled to some big Monster cover that is basically a one-shot sale.

I've read a lot of articles/blog posts/books/papers about the Post Implosion Atlas transition to Marvel and the shift from Monster to Other was never really researched or explained.

Just my 2c on a Frday morning,

-bc