• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,012 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Frisco Larson said:

This ones for you @bc

There's something about that first 10 JIM issues in the PHM set (#s 50-59) that I am just fascinated with (for some unexplained reason)!!! I even want them in any other language that I can find them in. I currently am still missing the #51 & #59, but here are the rest in order!!! Thank you in advance for indulging my nerd-frenzy!!!  :) 

Journey into Mystery 50 front Spanish.jpg

From one nerd to another - that's the first issue with all "T" job codes !!!

-bc

Well, the job code analysis didn't reveal anything new, it just confirms what we already expected.

As I  mentioned in the last post, new post-Implosion content all carries a "T" job code. There is very little mixing of earlier job codes once the PHM era starts with Strange Worlds 1 (every story in the entire series is a "T" job code). 

So what issues of the other PHM title exclusively utilize the the new "T" code content? The same ones we have all associated as the first PHM books in the series:

• Journey Into Mystery 50
  • Strange Tales 67
  • World of Fantasy 16
  • Tales to Astonish 1
  • Tales of Suspense 1 (although it has one "M" code story-TOS2 on up all are complete "T" codes)

So nothing really newsworthy.

There is a blog post or two that theorizes that some of the "T" jobs could have been re-numbered "L" and "M" content, but without seeing the Original Art for these stories, there's no way to confirm or deny that.

The "T" codes were used from 12/1958 to 1/1961, after that they changed to "V" jobs (1/1961 to 1/1963) and later they used "X" job codes (2/1963 and up). Newer titles like Amazing Adventures and Amazing Adult Fantasy all were "V" codes. The only PHM issue that survived to the "X" codes was TOS38, by then the rest of the titles had switched to superheroes or had been cancelled.

Also, there is no correlation between job codes and Monsters vs Other covers. There's also no correlation between PHM content and the early superhero appearances (the "V" code was used until ST105, JIM89 & TTA40 - around Feb 1963).

It was a fun exercise either way :)

-bc

15 hours ago, Frisco Larson said:

Journey into Mystery 55 front Spanish.jpg

I don’t know about you all, but JIM #55 was the hardest one for me to find to buy.  When one did show up, I got in a bidding war and ended up spending 3 times what a #54 would go for.  The sad thing is it’s one of my least favorite JIMs.  Numbers #52 and 82 are my personal favorites.

So I was watching some auctions on HA.com last night and noticed this marketing blurb in the AAF7 description:

"Amazing Adult Fantasy #7 (Marvel, Dec 1961) Condition: VG-. This book is now considered by many to feature the actual first appearance of the Skrulls, thanks to a retroactive continuity change by John Byrne. It pre-dates the release of Fantastic Four #2, the original first appearance of the Skrulls, by one month. (The Skrulls and the Kree/Skrull war have become an aspect of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.)"

Not sure who the "many" they refer to is either...

I jumped over to the GCD and sure enough found this:

"Why Won't They Believe Me?" (first story in the issue)
Job # V-391

Synopsis: A man believes that he has discovered an alien invasion, but he is the real alien, and has amnesia. (bc side note: the alien can take the shape of a human).

NOTES: Retold in Silver Surfer (Marvel, 1968 series) #3 (December 1968) as a Tales of the Watcher story by Stan Lee and Gene Colan. Another version of this story is told in Marvel: The Lost Generation (Marvel, 2000 series) #11 by Roger Stern and John Byrne. The later story uses a Skrull as the alien and Reed Richards as the scientist who discovers the amnesiac's true identity.''

Again, not complaining about any hype our genre gets, but this is the first I've heard of this reality stretch since I wasn't aware of the "retroactive continuity change" in the 2000 series.

This is the "Skrull" from AAF7:

image.png.e32032a5ad7b7a1c1b9c8c4d5c13867e.png

Didn't seem to do anything for the hammer price, but I made a note of it anyway.

Am I the only one who isn't part of the "many"? 

-bc

30 minutes ago, bc said:

So I was watching some auctions on HA.com last night and noticed this marketing blurb in the AAF7 description:

"Amazing Adult Fantasy #7 (Marvel, Dec 1961) Condition: VG-. This book is now considered by many to feature the actual first appearance of the Skrulls, thanks to a retroactive continuity change by John Byrne. It pre-dates the release of Fantastic Four #2, the original first appearance of the Skrulls, by one month. (The Skrulls and the Kree/Skrull war have become an aspect of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.)"

Not sure who the "many" they refer to is either...

I jumped over to the GCD and sure enough found this:

"Why Won't They Believe Me?" (first story in the issue)
Job # V-391

Synopsis: A man believes that he has discovered an alien invasion, but he is the real alien, and has amnesia. (bc side note: the alien can take the shape of a human).

NOTES: Retold in Silver Surfer (Marvel, 1968 series) #3 (December 1968) as a Tales of the Watcher story by Stan Lee and Gene Colan. Another version of this story is told in Marvel: The Lost Generation (Marvel, 2000 series) #11 by Roger Stern and John Byrne. The later story uses a Skrull as the alien and Reed Richards as the scientist who discovers the amnesiac's true identity.''

Again, not complaining about any hype our genre gets, but this is the first I've heard of this reality stretch since I wasn't aware of the "retroactive continuity change" in the 2000 series.

This is the "Skrull" from AAF7:

image.png.e32032a5ad7b7a1c1b9c8c4d5c13867e.png

Didn't seem to do anything for the hammer price, but I made a note of it anyway.

Am I the only one who isn't part of the "many"? 

-bc

I’ve never heard that before but I still think of FF 2 as the first appearance of the Skrulls.  I guess I’m not one of the “many” either.

26 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

I’ve never heard that before but I still think of FF 2 as the first appearance of the Skrulls.  I guess I’m not one of the “many” either.

Darn, I was actually hoping you could shed some light on this as I think several of us haven't read a "new" comics in decades.

Might have to pick up a cheap copy on feeBay just to see how much of a continuity change it really is.

-bc