• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,011 posts in this topic

:preach: PROTOTYPE RANT #371 :preach:

I was checking out Comics General and saw this thread:

Inside the thread is a link to an article by the Hollywood Reporter about the collector, Steve Levine. At the very bottom of the article, this caught my eye:

image.thumb.png.137aa2b9f9f466dd6947240c02ee841b.png

The characters name in the actual story in AAF14 is Tad Carter, and he's a mutant who wasn't bitten by a radioactive spider. It's not spider-sense either, it's telepathy and telekinesis that Tad possesses. 

I guess if I squint enough thru my dirty glasses, that could be Peter Parker. And yes, Ditko drew the story (and about every story in the title).

Shouldn't argue with a guy who has devoted his whole life collecting all things Spider-Man, but I think this is way more of a prequel pretzel than Strange Tales 97 with Aunt May, Uncle Ben and the mermaid (which the article does cover).

Probably shouldn't complain, at least our PHM genre is getting some media coverage!

-bc (back to chasing kids off his lawn)

ps - Steve's collection is certainly amazing - there's a link to it at the very bottom of the article.

1 minute ago, KirbyJack said:

When I first read that issue, I wasn’t even reminded of Peter Parker. I was quite surprised to learn that folks were making a connection.

Thanks! When I read it, it made me think of the mutants from Yellow Claw #2 who had the exact same type of powers. I figured they were the ones summoning Tad at the end of the story (which the GCD also has in their notes whether its accurate or not).

Still like the press coverage :)

-bc

50 minutes ago, bc said:

:preach: PROTOTYPE RANT #371 :preach:

I was checking out Comics General and saw this thread:

Inside the thread is a link to an article by the Hollywood Reporter about the collector, Steve Levine. At the very bottom of the article, this caught my eye:

image.thumb.png.137aa2b9f9f466dd6947240c02ee841b.png

The characters name in the actual story in AAF14 is Tad Carter, and he's a mutant who wasn't bitten by a radioactive spider. It's not spider-sense either, it's telepathy and telekinesis that Tad possesses. 

I guess if I squint enough thru my dirty glasses, that could be Peter Parker. And yes, Ditko drew the story (and about every story in the title).

Shouldn't argue with a guy who has devoted his whole life collecting all things Spider-Man, but I think this is way more of a prequel pretzel than Strange Tales 97 with Aunt May, Uncle Ben and the mermaid (which the article does cover).

Probably shouldn't complain, at least our PHM genre is getting some media coverage!

-bc (back to chasing kids off his lawn)

ps - Steve's collection is certainly amazing - there's a link to it at the very bottom of the article.

CGC should put on the label “Peter Parker Perm Prototype”.

I did read about the Spidey collection in the national news.  It’s sad about the circumstances under which they’re being sold

Edited by Jasonmorris1000000

22 minutes ago, Frisco Larson said:

There ARE a handful of books that feel like precursors to the PHM monster books, like this one. Another is Journey into Mystery #20 cover dated Dec 1954 (I don't presently own a copy). I recall there being a few more as well and think they'd make a cool additional sub set. 

Journey into Unknown Worlds 55 4.5 ow front.jpg

Yes they'd make a nice set, along with the couple of Western/PHM cross-overs!

*** Nerd Alert ***

So, I'm sitting here right now making a database of the Job Codes for each story in the Atlas transition period from 1955 thru 1961. 

That issue's stories start with a Job Code of "L", which was used primarily for cover dates Jan 1957 to May 1957. HOWEVER, the early post Implosion days saw the same "L" job code appear in World of Fantasy & Strange Tales (1958 & 1959 issues). This implies that there was plenty of leftover inventory when the Implosion happened in April 1957 and many of the previously unpublished works could easily have been re-used, re-imagined or re-written in later books. Before the Implosion they were cranking out enough material to support 13+ sci-fi/fantasy titles a month!

All of the "M" job code material was also remaindered content from the pre-implosion inventory as well. That was between cover dates July 1957 to Dec 1958; again used in WOF & ST.

Post Implosion new original stories start with a job code of "T" which debuted in Strange Worlds #1, cover date 12/1958. Which just so happens to coincide with the start of the PHM era :)

Several of the 1959 PHM titles like TOS & TTA have mixed "L", M" and "T" job code stories. Haven't catalogued enough yet to determine a definitive end of the pre-Implosion content job codes, but my gut feeling is it will be right around the peak of the Monster covers....

This blending of old & new may account for some of these earlier content and ideas examples being similar.

Oh well, back to nerdvana.....

-bc

1 minute ago, Frisco Larson said:

I'd say the monsters are my favorite too, but I really dig the robot covers as well. I still have MANY on my want list to fill. Here's one that's always been a favorite of mine! SO early :headbang:

Journey Into Mystery 53 4.0 ow-w front 2 (2).jpg

Very nice! :headbang:

And all job code "T" stories inside (all new post implosion content :) )

-bc

This ones for you @bc

There's something about that first 10 JIM issues in the PHM set (#s 50-59) that I am just fascinated with (for some unexplained reason)!!! I even want them in any other language that I can find them in. I currently am still missing the #51 & #59, but here are the rest in order!!! Thank you in advance for indulging my nerd-frenzy!!!  :) 

Journey into Mystery 50 front Spanish.jpg

Edited by Frisco Larson