• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,012 posts in this topic

On 6/13/2022 at 8:05 PM, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

I’m not sure if I should congratulate you or offer you my condolences.  That’s a beautiful copy 

Both. I will miss it but must prioritize my collecting needs now.

Edit: Book has finally not sold, buyer changed his mind.

Edited by pickycollector

On 6/7/2022 at 6:11 PM, bc said:

Follow Up - Part 2

Grand Comics Database vs Atlas Tales Database vs CGC

The GCD credits Stan with writing/plotting hundreds of the PHM stories BUT they notate he did not sign them with the "?" notation:

image.thumb.png.78b6cf19f9d8f93e75a8bc6e03310a59.png

That story is from Strange Tales 72 (12/59).

There is no listing in the Atlas Tales database for the writers of any of the stories in that issue.

Roll back one issue to Strange Tales 71.

The GCD has 2 stories that they guess to be Stan's:

image.png.f561f9d72e66900e6fae92342fdd2ca9.png

and

image.png.b94f2fc5ea2c996408c049b74686ef74.png

Again, the Atlas Tales database does not attribute any writer to any of the stories in that issue. That's a totally different rabbit hole we can go down later....

There are hundreds of other examples I can provide where the GCD "assumes" Stan was involved in the writing/plotting/scripting that he did not sign.

Now let's add in the CGC factor....

I have a slabbed copy of ST 71 for reference...notice they point out "Stan Lee story" (that's clearly using the GCD assumption):

st_71.thumb.jpg.1056caab3f4c4a4bbbebb63483e32233.jpg

The slabbing notes are actually mentioned in an exchange from here:

https://zak-site.com/MarvelMethodArchive/10.html

Jim Van Heuklon: another part of the problem is that CGC continues to blindly give writing to credit to Lee for the vast majority of these books.

Patrick Ford: They do and it's sickening. It's beyond a joke. It's reprehensible.

Patrick Ford: I'm not even saying they should credit Kirby as the writer. What they should do is note the dispute. Mention that Kirby and Lee are 100% at odds. And mover on. Instead they credit Lee. It's shameful and inexcusable.

Jim Van Heuklon: I sent Borock a message asking him to explain XXXX's blind devotion to the writing credits. We'll see if it warrants a response.

(I "XXXX"d out the other guys so I don't get this yanked.) The key part to me is Borock's CGC legacy ties.

It appears all the grading/slabbing companies are just crediting Stan with unverified jobs in their label & grader notes based on the GCD data.

-bc

Woah- I’ve been quoted! (And no I’m not Patrick Ford):foryou:

On 6/27/2022 at 12:09 PM, mysterio said:

Pardon the interruption of the PHM authorship discussion :shiftyeyes:. Being on one of my rare trips onto the boards I wanted to show off my latest JIM acquisition. Comiclink win last month, I have it in hand now. Upgrades my previous 7.0 copy. I remain stuck at three books from completion. :cry:

JIM72CGC80sm.jpg

:headbang:

Beautiful copy man!

What are the 3 issues you need?

-bc

On 8/1/2022 at 2:02 PM, Frisco Larson said:

August 1961 (didn't have any from 1960 :wavingwhiteflag:).

Journey into Mystery 71 6.0 ow-w front.jpg

Strange Tales 87 7.5 ow-w front.jpg

Great books man! Been scoping out your pickups in the other threads :headbang:

August 1960 was a slim month for PHM fans, only ST76 had that cover date of all the titles.

-bc