• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,012 posts in this topic

On 9/13/2022 at 1:33 AM, Frisco Larson said:

I'm not sure if there's even a thread for this UK variant. I bet @Get Marwood & I would know!

IMG_20220912_185902.jpg

It's lovely, isn't it. I don't think anyone has created a thread here to specifically showcase Len's reprint titles so I suppose Define's thread would be the best fit:

On 9/13/2022 at 5:54 AM, Kevin.J said:

I think the #3 is the toughest to find of these reprints, I have only seen a couple.

My search goes on for a JIM 58 Pence copy :cry:

The cover is the splash page from the story.

545813754_jim58.thumb.jpg.48d46c54bd7609612d1ab16088846d50.jpg

This is AWESOME, thanks for posting it Kevin! I have no plans to crack my copy out. 

On 9/13/2022 at 6:08 PM, Frisco Larson said:

I've never SEEN one before this one!!! (worship)

I've posted it in this thread about 9 times Frisco. One for each d :bigsmile:

On 9/13/2022 at 12:16 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I've posted it in this thread about 9 times Frisco. One for each d :bigsmile:

I have no way to explain how I haven't managed to take note of it.  doh!   Well, at least now I can confirm that it exists and it's probably just Kevin and I that are actively LOOKING for one, so hopefully a few copies will turn up! 

On 9/13/2022 at 6:21 PM, Frisco Larson said:

I have no way to explain how I haven't managed to take note of it.  doh!   Well, at least now I can confirm that it exists and it's probably just Kevin and I that are actively LOOKING for one, so hopefully a few copies will turn up! 

Check my journal page for what UKPVs exist, Frisco. JIM #58 is a fairly tough book to find in pence as it goes, especially in grade. Maybe because it ties with Gunsmoke Western #58 as being the joint first Marvel UKPV. My copy is gloriously loved. Which is to say it is tatty. 

On 9/13/2022 at 12:26 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

Check my journal page for what UKPVs exist, Frisco. JIM #58 is a fairly tough book to find in pence as it goes, especially in grade. Maybe because it ties with Gunsmoke Western #58 as being the joint first Marvel UKPV. My copy is gloriously loved. Which is to say it is tatty. 

I have looked at your journal page, many times actually (it's awesome and very helpful), I just didn't recall ever seeing one, even though they may have at one time been printed. This question may have been asked/answered before or maybe the answer is on your journal page, but do you know the size of the print runs from the UK or La Prensa Mexican copies? 

On 9/13/2022 at 6:44 PM, Frisco Larson said:

I have looked at your journal page, many times actually (it's awesome and very helpful), I just didn't recall ever seeing one, even though they may have at one time been printed. This question may have been asked/answered before or maybe the answer is on your journal page, but do you know the size of the print runs from the UK or La Prensa Mexican copies? 

No idea on Mehico, Frishico. There is no industry data available for the early UKPV numbers that I am aware of but the historic best guess rule of thumb is between 5 and 10%. Whether that's accurate or not, my instinct, based on years of looking, is that early UKPVs are spectacularly scarce in terms of surviving numbers - certainly in terms of availability - compared to their US cousins. Only today, in another thread, I saw what is only the second copy I've ever seen of Battle #70 as a UKPV. 

On 9/13/2022 at 12:51 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

No idea on Mehico, Frishico. There is no industry data available for the early UKPV numbers but the historic best guess rule of thumb is between 5 and 10%. Whether that's accurate or not, my instinct, based on years of looking, is that early UKPVs are spectacularly scarce in terms of surviving numbers - certainly in terms of availability - compared to their US cousins. Only today, in another thread, I saw what is only the second copy I've ever seen of Battle #70 as a UKPV. 

My best guess was that they were miniscule compared to the Marvel domestic output but didn't know if anyone had discovered any hard data. The search continues ... Thanks for all of your hard work in researching these areas AND for making your findings available to the rest of us!!!  (thumbsu

On 9/13/2022 at 6:58 PM, Frisco Larson said:

My best guess was that they were miniscule compared to the Marvel domestic output but didn't know if anyone had discovered any hard data. The search continues ... Thanks for all of your hard work in researching these areas AND for making your findings available to the rest of us!!!  (thumbsu

It's something to do, isn't it :)

Here's a graphic I put together to show the first twenty Marvel UK Price Variants:

ft1.thumb.PNG.a74dcaeee11a237d0e2e43aa8a69c013.PNG
ft2.thumb.png.a46c02a651692bbd6fb0f60d9750e3fb.png

All pre-hero, and some of them are so hard to find you'd have more chance getting fifty Amazing Fantasy's before you found one. If you was rich, I mean.

On 9/13/2022 at 1:04 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

It's something to do, isn't it :)

Here's a graphic I put together to show the first twenty Marvel UK Price Variants:

ft1.thumb.PNG.a74dcaeee11a237d0e2e43aa8a69c013.PNG
ft2.thumb.png.a46c02a651692bbd6fb0f60d9750e3fb.png

All pre-hero, and some of them are so hard to find you'd have more chance getting fifty Amazing Fantasy's before you found one. If you was rich, I mean.

That's a great compilation! I've mostly only looked for PHM UK copies, not so much the westerns or romance type books. This is the earliest copy I have, and it doesn't even make your list. 

Journey into Mystery 63 8.0 w UK.jpg

Uncreased is the word (it's the word, it's the word, that you heard) it's got groove it's got meaning.

Talking of Tales of Strangeness, I'm trying to encourage my UK board chum @Albert Tatlock to grace this thread with his ST pence collection:

Capture.thumb.PNG.02e709320b421bcb7fe3a4392881508a.PNG

He's probably having a pint in the Rovers right now, but if we call to him like he's a pigeon, he may come :wishluck:

All together now, 

Coo-coo....coo-coo...

Tfof8K.gif.1a3894239294aeffd7508f25875bb45c.gif