• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,012 posts in this topic

On 8/1/2022 at 1:08 PM, bc said:

Great books man! Been scoping out your pickups in the other threads :headbang:

August 1960 was a slim month for PHM fans, only ST76 had that cover date of all the titles.

-bc

Thanks pal (thumbsu Yeah, I thought I had a ST 76 but if I DO, I don't have a pic of it. :( It's a pretty big month/year combo if you're a Marvel fan! 60 years (according to cover date, not newsstand date). 2 biggies came out this month! 

On 8/1/2022 at 2:13 PM, Frisco Larson said:

Thanks pal (thumbsu Yeah, I thought I had a ST 76 but if I DO, I don't have a pic of it. :( It's a pretty big month/year combo if you're a Marvel fan! 60 years (according to cover date, not newsstand date). 2 biggies came out this month! 

It's pretty crazy to think its been 60 years!

Yea, Spidey and Thor this month and the costumed Ant-Man next month. Human Torch starts in ST in October. Next March we get Iron Man in TOS and that's the end of the PHM era (even though back-up stories still continued for a while).

-bc

On 8/1/2022 at 2:33 PM, Frisco Larson said:

60 years, WOW .... that's crazy!!! I SO love that period in comics!!! I've always enjoyed the time when we got superhero lead stories and a fun mix of usually sci-fi type back up stories to fill up the issue! A great blending of both worlds! The Strange Tales and Tales to Astonish runs seem particularly inexpensive in that time period. Here's something you might enjoy, I picked up this page of original art to Strange Tales #102 recently! It's a Gene Colan page, page #2 to the story "The Secret of the Hidden Planet" and I was THRILLED to be able to add it to my growing art collection! 

Strange Tales 102 pg 2 Gene Colan November 1962.jpg

(thumbsu   Way cool dude!

-bc

On 6/9/2022 at 10:37 AM, bc said:

Follow Up - Part 7

US Postal Data for Individual Titles

https://www.comichron.com/yearlycomicssales/postaldata/1960.html

1960 was the first year that the U.S. Postal Service required that publishers actually include circulation information in the Statements of Ownership that appeared in their comic books. At this point, only the print run and paid circulations were reported by all; some also included subscription sales.

Uncle Scrooge and Walt Disney's Comics & Stories both topped 1 million copies, and it was the last time to date that any Statement of Ownership for any title (apart from Mad, a magazine) would top that figure. Star Wars #1 in 1977 would be the next comic book to exceed 1 million copies, although that was across multiple printings. While several issues in the early 1990s would have sales exceeding 1 million copies, none of the year-long averages for those series topped that figure.

Note that DC rounded all figures to the nearest thousand, whereas other publishers went into greater detail. Such variation among publishers was common.

Data from 1960 - Let's see where a Marvel title shows up:

image.png.1b55d0d25ba97c3116f6e0a1eadfc88c.png

(not yet, keep going...)

image.png.f380200bb9f8ae9472642122505462eb.png

(almost there, keep scrollin')

image.png.84220445e6f125b26647ed88adfd3530.png

*** BIG NOTE: At this point, Atlas/Marvel was still limited by the Independent News deal to publishing only 8 books per month. Therefore, these titles appeared bi-monthly compared to their contemporaries. However, this data is "per issue" and NOT "per month" ***

First Marvel title in the Top 50 list for 1960 is TTA at #43 selling an average of 163,156 books per issue, followed by TOS at #45. Both of these titles were published bi-monthly until late in 1960.

Notice that the legacy titles Strange Tales and Journey into Mystery don't crack the top 50, TTA & TOS are the "new" guys on the block. JIM & ST don't hit the Top 50 until 1962!

To keep the length of this post reasonable, I summarized the other top 50 charts for the PHM titles:

image.png.92b9af3c4b1997f3dc13a6323056bb10.png   image.png.f195524a6225b6a08f320cb411c89477.png

image.png.c949a0a1682290b9d9c659fbea4c9cc9.png   image.png.5e9ffc6a4e5ebdbb1696ca8a92e1baf5.png

Even though there is no data for ST & JIM in '60 & '61, the charts for TTA & TOS likely are indicative of their performance as well.

As usual, I'll show my raw data:

image.png.fcb35853e23bcc0a29aee001af291f7d.png

-bc

Fantastic research! (worship)

On 8/10/2022 at 5:38 PM, bc said:

:headbang: Great eye appeal with superior PQ - very nice!

Go man go! What are the last 2 - maybe we can help out?

-bc

Thanks! I was really happy with the copy. I went after a 7.5 and 8.0 earlier in the summer, but lost those. There was a silver lining since one was slightly miscut and the other miswrapped, so I didn’t go crazy on my bids. This one wasn’t going to get past me. 

I also appreciate the offer of help. I’d rather not post the books I need in an open forum though. It sucks, but I’ve seen instances of people getting “punish bid” on the last books they need. If anyone wants to ask in PM I’d appreciate any help! One is common enough but I don’t want to pay the high asks. The other is very tough, very few have come up for sale and none that I’ve seen in the 6.0 range I like to stay at or above.