• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,012 posts in this topic

On 9/2/2022 at 1:07 PM, frozentundraguy said:

September 1961, breakout your wooden statuettes.

image.thumb.jpeg.dde6a1488c9a705899f0d1e1be4383fe.jpeg

I’m conflicted about that cover. The art is good, and Moomba is menacing enough. What throws me are the motion lines. If he were swooping down and flying over the crowd it would make sense to me. But the motion lines show that he is bellyflopping onto the crowd. Why? Maybe the story reveals the reason, but that detail always snatched defeat from the jaws of victory for this cover in my mind. 

On 9/5/2022 at 8:45 AM, mysterio said:

I’m conflicted about that cover. The art is good, and Moomba is menacing enough. What throws me are the motion lines. If he were swooping down and flying over the crowd it would make sense to me. But the motion lines show that he is bellyflopping onto the crowd. Why? Maybe the story reveals the reason, but that detail always snatched defeat from the jaws of victory for this cover in my mind. 

I knew I should have taken a photo of each page in this book before having it graded. doh!

On 9/5/2022 at 9:14 AM, frozentundraguy said:

I knew I should have taken a photo of each page in this book before having it graded. doh!

I’m sure it is reprinted someplace, or someone here remembers the story. It is one of the less common TTAs in my experience. I’ve never owned a copy. #24-25 are also less common, at least I see them less. Coincidence, or print run variability? #26 isn’t too difficult, and #27 seems fairly common (but that has other factors too, obviously).

Edited by mysterio
Memory suddenly worked.

On 9/6/2022 at 9:47 PM, KirbyJack said:

He was a machine; and his work ethic was unequaled.

Check how many books he drew (at least in part) with the November 1961 cover date, in addition to Fantastic Four #1:

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Category:1961,_November_Cover_Date

Looks like he drew 8 covers in that month alone.

On 9/6/2022 at 7:21 AM, Steven Valdez said:

Check how many books he drew (at least in part) with the November 1961 cover date, in addition to Fantastic Four #1:

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Category:1961,_November_Cover_Date

Looks like he drew 8 covers in that month alone.

Plus how many interior pages, I wonder. That to me would be the impressive part. It seems like J Scott Campbell draws 8 covers every month, though his all feature the same woman…

On 9/6/2022 at 11:00 PM, mysterio said:

Plus how many interior pages, I wonder. That to me would be the impressive part. It seems like J Scott Campbell draws 8 covers every month, though his all feature the same woman…

Not to mention that Jack came up with al the plots and stories as well.