• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers 2: Age of Ultron - Seriously

2,574 posts in this topic

Saw this again last night, and I don't remember seeing this addressed in the previous pages (but I haven't read them all, either)

Is the implication that Thanos manipulated/created Ultron in order to somehow get at the Mind Stone?

In the scene where Stark et. al. are arguing over uploading Jarvis into the Vision, Tony says something about how he and Banner weren't at all close to creating Ultron, and that something else must have finished the job (rough paraphrase).

At the end, Thor tells Cap and Stark that some other force is manipulating everyone concerning the Infinity Stones.

Finally, you have Thanos in the mid-credits scene appearing to be disgusted with his pawns' failures.

Or am I reading too much into this, and the Mind Stone is responsible?

In response to the question above:

Although it was a bit rushed in the film, I think the idea was that the mind-stone in Loki's sceptre (which Thanos GAVE to Loki in Avengers) was supposed to manipulate those around it to destroy themselves somehow, perhaps in accordance with Thanos' plans. Once Loki failed and then Stark failed (Ultron was indeed created from the mind stone, as even Jarvis said early on that he wasn't sure how Ultron came to be) to destroy themselves and/or the earth, Thanos now feels like he has to get his hands dirty and go to Earth himself.

That idea also suggests that the Earth is the home for several of the stones, including the two that remain unaccounted for. Xandar has one (power stone), Asgard has one (the Tesseract, which Thanos vowed vengeance on Loki for failing to provide in 'Avengers'), the Collector has one (aether), and the Vision has one (mind stone). I expect the other two may appear in the Dr. Strange and Guardians 2 movies to come, as Thanos begins to collect them all for his gauntlet.

Dan

Saw this movie yesterday. It was a good movie. I preferred the first a little more but I still left feeling that we had a good comic book episode to move the overall story along.

A lot of similarities to the first movie in the story (another horde of aliens/robots, another mind control attempt of the Hulk, etc.) but not so much that it made me dislike the movie. Looking forward to civil war.

Also, I liked the look of the vision, especially during the rescue at the end but I didn't really expect him to have as much personality as he did right away. I know his ongoing goal was to become more human but in this movie he displayed some personality pretty quickly after creation. Perhaps it was part of his connection with Jarvis?

In response to the question above:

Although it was a bit rushed in the film, I think the idea was that the mind-stone in Loki's sceptre (which Thanos GAVE to Loki in Avengers) was supposed to manipulate those around it to destroy themselves somehow, perhaps in accordance with Thanos' plans. Once Loki failed and then Stark failed (Ultron was indeed created from the mind stone, as even Jarvis said early on that he wasn't sure how Ultron came to be) to destroy themselves and/or the earth, Thanos now feels like he has to get his hands dirty and go to Earth himself.

That idea also suggests that the Earth is the home for several of the stones, including the two that remain unaccounted for. Xandar has one (power stone), Asgard has one (the Tesseract, which Thanos vowed vengeance on Loki for failing to provide in 'Avengers'), the Collector has one (aether), and the Vision has one (mind stone). I expect the other two may appear in the Dr. Strange and Guardians 2 movies to come, as Thanos begins to collect them all for his gauntlet.

Dan

Thanks for clarifying. Like others have said, I'd have preferred a longer film that offered just a bit more depth/background.

I made a separate thread about box office but it would probably make more sense to keep it all here. So deleting the old post.

I'm going to a 12:50PM showing today. 2D - not a big fan of 3D.

Looks like, even this early, Age of Ultron is setting records. It will be interesting to see how it goes this weekend and beyond.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-avengers-age-ultron-792722

I didn't see yours until after I did mine.. I am going to see the show at 430 eastern, prepaid the other day. I think Avengers 2 will set many new records !

I was debating whether to post it here or make a new A2 Box Office thread. After seeing yours in here it seemed to make more sense.

I opted for the 12:50 showing at the Sundance Kabuki Theater in SF. Nice because they are all assigned seats (you can pick yours from the seating layout.) Just did it a couple of hours ago and not many people so far, which is what I was hoping for.

I usually wait for DVDs for new releases but decided it may be fun to hit a movie once a week or so. Thinking EX MACHINA will be a good choice for next week.

Ex Machina was excellant.

+1 for Ex Machina. I've been telling everyone I know to go see it; much better than it's trailer would suggest in my opinion.

I enjoyed Alex Garland's first two books (The Beach and The Tesseract), and the first two movie's he wrote (28 Days Later...and Sunshine), and now... wow now he's writing AND directing his own movie. Hopefully word of mouth helps give this movie legs.... it really is one of the better sic-fi movies in quite some time.

I was actually surprised to see the numbers for Monday. It looks like Avengers AOU is going to end up being very front loaded if this trend continues. It is starting to trail the Dark Knight Rises daily so it is possible it is going to wind up $450 million and not $500 million domestic.

I was very "meh" on Sunshine, but I'll see his next movie purely based on how good I thought Ex Machina was.

I really liked Sunshine...I thought it was a great cast, great performance, and very cool looking movie, considering it had a very small budget. Danny Boyle is another director who's work i usually enjoy and who also worked with Alex Garland on 28 Days Later...

Been a fan of his since his first movie Shallow Grave.

I liked two-thirds of Sunshine, but the last third of it went off the rails in my opinion.

I only have a few questions about certain things in Ex Machina, it was a really tight film with very few flaws. Lots of people should go see it, even if they do get mad at us for thread stealing! lol

All these spoiler tags and I have no idea what people are talking about?

What? No I seen Avegers2

WTF is sunshine?

It's mainly relevant here in my opinion because it's likely the movie that convinced Marvel that Chris Evans could and should play Captain America. Well before Cap was cast, I saw Sunshine and I was like, holy smokes! Chris Evans has got to play Captain America! I was totally stoked when Marvel signed him, which is something I never would have thought possible prior to seeing Sunshine.

I thought Sunshine was a really terrific movie, but yea suffered from a ill thought out last third, not shockingly terrible in the way that Interstellar's last third is bad but it just became a 'monster of the week' movie rather than building on what had been a really excellent setup.

It thankfully threw off the monster cliches as it went into the final minutes and I think it ended on quite a good note.

Interstellar completely eclipses Sunshine as a movie in my opinion.

Sunshine was ok but the last part of the movie was a bit pants. Not as good an effort as 28 Days Later.

FORBES: Why Avengers: Age Of Ultron Will Pass $1 Billion After China Opening

According to Bloomberg Business, advanced ticket sales of Avengers: Age of Ultron were double those of Furious 7, as China continues to be the country to conquer for a surefire international mega-hit.

China’s Box Office will overtake its US counterpart in terms of worldwide film dominance. The question isn’t if, but when. Plus, the Chinese population has been coming out in particular force, like their global counterparts, for action films. Add in the mesmerizing special effects and artificial intelligence bend of ‘Ultron’ and the recipe to hit a new record in China is complete. That’s also a triumph for the two state-owned monopoly film distribution companies, China Film Group Corp. and HuaxIa Film Distribution Co. The phenomenon speaks to why Hollywood studios are pushing to raise the current cap on the number of foreign films that can be distributed in China from its far less lucrative 34 films per year.

Last year, Captain America: The Winter Soldier grossed $714.8 million globally, with 16.2% or $115.6 from China. In 2012, Marvel’s The Avengers grossed $1.52 billion globally, with $86.3 million or 5.6% from China.

Do the Math. It says ‘Ultron’ will top $1 billion in gross revenues worldwide within the first week of its debut in China.

Interstellar completely eclipses Sunshine as a movie in my opinion.

Sunshine was ok but the last part of the movie was a bit pants. Not as good an effort as 28 Days Later.

What about the ending of Interstellar though? I thought it was so shockingly bad that it was an insult to the audience that i got kinda angry!

28 Days Later works on every level and is a 100% terrific movie.