• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers 2: Age of Ultron - Seriously

2,574 posts in this topic

The movie has definitely lost the feeling of freshness and surprising fun that was a feature of the first.

I think the age of some of the actors has added to the jadedness of some of the performances as I've detailed earlier in this thread. Notably RDJ, Renner and Ruffalo. Also SJ as Widow was cringeworthy and spoiled the movie for the female I saw it with.

Loki was a far better villain than Ultron - the brother dynamic with Thor was very well handled and great for the plot. AOU was just left with the people 'hitting robots till they stop moving' plot device which has been played to death in numerous movies.

It just wasn't as good as the first in every notable way. The Direction, Acting, Effects, Plot, -script and Editing were second best to its older sibling.

Good well thought out post by you.

This is my spin on it.

What happened to as why the Avengers freshness is gone is quite simply this.

and

this

GOTG and Winter Soldier are not only the benchmarks for Marvel superhero movies,but great movies as well.

Is there anybody on here who liked Avengers Age of Ultron better than GOTG and Winter Soldier?

Anybody?

So that`s were the disappointment begins at the box office, than we have this gem

The worst thing was to watch Avengers Age of Ultron after watching Daredevil.

Daredevil is a masterpiece, while Avengers Age of Ultron was a step above Furious 7. It was very hard for me to get into Avengers Age of Ultron after watching Daredevil.

Now him.

untitled_by_ghostrain1412-d8n06kz.png

He`s starting to become very unlikeable.

I don`t know if they are doing this to set up Civil War, but it`s working.

A year ago Iron Man was my favorite character, now it`s Captain America.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it.

However, far more people like Avengers 2 than don't. It's testing very very high in people's opinion's.

You're talking like you speak for everyone.

And as far as numbers.... A2AOU will blow Captain America Winter Soldier out of... oh wait... it already has. In 11 DAYS it's already blew past Winter Soldier!!

In its 2nd week (11 days actually) it's already on the brink of a billion dollars internationally with China and Japan still to open and another month of American dollars!

Now as far as Guardians of the Galaxy it will eventually... OH WAIT... domestically it will TOP GOTG THIS WEEKEND..... in just it's 2nd WEEK, it will have already BEATEN the GOTG!!!!

Wherever the negativity is coming from for this movie, well.... have at it. It's not a cinematic masterpiece, but it's fun. It's a great superhero popcorn movie. And when talking about it in terms of MONEY, well, the Avengers are still the 2nd biggest Superhero merchandise sellers in the world. BEFORE this movie came out even.

Take that DD and GOTG and Cap. When you can sell 700 MILLION dollars ($ = American) a year in toys and shirts and hats, or sell 900 MILLION dollars ($ = American) in movie tickets in 11 DAYS (with some markets not even open yet)... then you can talk smack.

Until then... the idea that the majority of people are TIRED of this franchise just sounds silly to me.

I really enjoyed Avengers: Age of Ultron.

That said, and how it's probably not going to out gross the original domestically, i wonder if all those folks who were saying Cap 3 will crush BvS want to take those bets back.

Like i said in a previous post, since Cap 3 is being touted as Avengers 2.5, NO third installment in a trilogy bests the previous movies in gross or story quality. The third is always the weakest installment. ALWAYS. There are only two movies i can think of that were the exceptions, not the rule: Iron Man 3 (weakest story wise imho, but killed 2 at the box office), and Revenge of the Sith (story wise, best of the prequel trilogy)

BvS is 'fresh' in that it is the first time the two biggest super heroes of all times will be on the big screen together. It will beat Cap 3 easily.

Who made the bets? I missed that.

I will predict BvS will be the peak of this super hero movie bubble craze box office wise.

Avengers was phase 1 King, but nothing can top Batman v Superman with mainstream. The two icons duking it out.

After that Captain America 3 keeps up the momentum,than the slow slide begins.

Sure. After that all we have is the Infinity War, Thanos, Warlock, another Guardians of the Galaxy movie..... :devil:

That`s the thing. Going forward the Guardians of the Galaxy are the big players. The new cool people on the block, and not the Avengers.

Not to rub it in so soon, but... well, ok, maybe I am rubbing it in, but... Avengers 2 will domestically surpass GOTG THIS weekend. The movie is two weeks old and it's already surpassed it internationally and worldwide.

In just 2 weeks.

The movie has definitely lost the feeling of freshness and surprising fun that was a feature of the first.

I think the age of some of the actors has added to the jadedness of some of the performances as I've detailed earlier in this thread. Notably RDJ, Renner and Ruffalo. Also SJ as Widow was cringeworthy and spoiled the movie for the female I saw it with.

Loki was a far better villain than Ultron - the brother dynamic with Thor was very well handled and great for the plot. AOU was just left with the people 'hitting robots till they stop moving' plot device which has been played to death in numerous movies.

It just wasn't as good as the first in every notable way. The Direction, Acting, Effects, Plot, -script and Editing were second best to its older sibling.

This is my spin on it.

and

this

GOTG and Winter Soldier are not only the benchmarks for Marvel superhero movies,but great movies as well.

Is there anybody on here who liked Avengers Age of Ultron better than GOTG and Winter Soldier?

Anybody?

So that`s were the disappointment begins at the box office, than we have this gem

Daredevil is a masterpiece, while Avengers Age of Ultron was a step above Furious 7. It was very hard for me to get into Avengers Age of Ultron after watching Daredevil.

Now him.

However, far more people like Avengers 2 than don't. It's testing very very high in people's opinion's.

And as far as numbers.... A2AOU will blow Captain America Winter Soldier out of... oh wait... it already has. In 11 DAYS it's already blew past Winter Soldier!!

In its 2nd week (11 days actually) it's already on the brink of a billion dollars internationally with China and Japan still to open and another month of American dollars!

Now as far as Guardians of the Galaxy it will eventually... OH WAIT... domestically it will TOP GOTG THIS WEEKEND..... in just it's 2nd WEEK, it will have already BEATEN the GOTG!!!!

Wherever the negativity is coming from for this movie, well.... have at it. It's not a cinematic masterpiece, but it's fun. It's a great superhero popcorn movie. And when talking about it in terms of MONEY, well, the Avengers are still the 2nd biggest Superhero merchandise sellers in the world. BEFORE this movie came out even.

Take that DD and GOTG and Cap. When you can sell 700 MILLION dollars ($ = American) a year in toys and shirts and hats, or sell 900 MILLION dollars ($ = American) in movie tickets in 11 DAYS (with some markets not even open yet)... then you can talk smack.

Until then... the idea that the majority of people are TIRED of this franchise just sounds silly to me.

to be fair, this is the same guy that was wondering if they were converting foreign values to a single currency for their box office numbers. soooo.....His two yuan may or may not be worth as much as your two kroners.

This is my spin on it.

and

this

Anybody?

Now him.

to be fair, this is the same guy that was wondering if they were converting foreign values to a single currency for their box office numbers. soooo.....His two yuan may or may not be worth as much as your two kroners.

Don`t shoot the messenger. (tsk)

This is what happens on these message boards.

I said I loved The Avengers Age of Ultron,but I am disappointed and surprised

that it performed badly compared to Avengers domestically. :o

Your trying to deflect by bringing up the China currency because you think I am saying Avengers Age of Ultron sucks.

I am saying that Avengers Age of Ultron domestic box office is surprisingly disappointing compared to Avengers.

Do you get what I am saying or do you continue to think I`m knocking Avengers? (shrug)

That said, and how it's probably not going to out gross the original domestically, i wonder if all those folks who were saying Cap 3 will crush BvS want to take those bets back.

Like i said in a previous post, since Cap 3 is being touted as Avengers 2.5, NO third installment in a trilogy bests the previous movies in gross or story quality. The third is always the weakest installment. ALWAYS. There are only two movies i can think of that were the exceptions, not the rule: Iron Man 3 (weakest story wise imho, but killed 2 at the box office), and Revenge of the Sith (story wise, best of the prequel trilogy)

BvS is 'fresh' in that it is the first time the two biggest super heroes of all times will be on the big screen together. It will beat Cap 3 easily.

I will predict BvS will be the peak of this super hero movie bubble craze box office wise.

Avengers was phase 1 King, but nothing can top Batman v Superman with mainstream. The two icons duking it out.

Sure. After that all we have is the Infinity War, Thanos, Warlock, another Guardians of the Galaxy movie..... :devil:

That`s the thing. Going forward the Guardians of the Galaxy are the big players. The new cool people on the block, and not the Avengers.

Not to rub it in so soon, but... well, ok, maybe I am rubbing it in, but... Avengers 2 will domestically surpass GOTG THIS weekend. The movie is two weeks old and it's already surpassed it internationally and worldwide.

In just 2 weeks.

Never mind the box office. Did you personally

like Avengers 2 better than GOTG or Captain America Winter Soldier?

I am saying that Avengers Age of Ultron domestic box office is surprisingly disappointing compared to Avengers.

The New Avengers movie is only 11 DAYS into it's run here. It has a long way to go until we know for sure.

You did not answer the question.

I asked if you liked Avengers Age of Ultron better than GOTG or Captain America Winter Soldier?

I want to know if you thought Avengers Age of Ultron was the better movie.

I am not asking you about the box office.

In just 2 weeks.

I found it no more or less pleasing than either of those movies. What are we 9 years old?

My PERSONAL opinion has nothing to do with how I view FACTUAL information.

I don't think the Fantastic Four movie will TANK because I don't like what I've seen so far. I think it'll TANK because of the signs I see for a movie to NOT be successful.

Ex Machina may not pull in big numbers (actually its very doubtful it will unless it gets bumped to more screens). But I think it's a GREAT movie.

It's two separate thought processes.

Avengers 2 was fun, and I enjoyed it. (My opinion)

It's going to clobber just about everyone at the Box Office. (Fact)

"Did I personally like Avengers 2 better than GOTG or Captain America Winter Soldier?"

I found it no more or less pleasing than either of those movies.

How I FEEL about it in a conversation having to do with it's monetary success is irrelevant.

Am I the only Robot here?

In just 2 weeks.

I found it no more or less pleasing than either of those movies. What are we 9 years old?

I don't think the Fantastic Four movie will TANK because I don't like what I've seen so far. I think it'll TANK because of the signs I see for a movie to NOT be successful.

Ex Machina may not pull in big numbers (actually its very doubtful it will unless it gets bumped to more screens). But I think it's a GREAT movie.

"Did I personally like Avengers 2 better than GOTG or Captain America Winter Soldier?"

How I FEEL about it in a conversation having to do with it's monetary success is irrelevant.

You sound indifferent. I get the feeling you liked GOTG and Captain America: Winter Soldier better than Avengers Age of Ultron,but because you don`t want to upset the crowd your playing neutral. hm

Myself

I found GOTG and Captain American: Winter Soldier vastly superior movies, and I am looking forward to GOTG 2 and Captain America 3 much more than Avengers 3.

To be honest it`s not even close.

For me:

GOTG

Captain America Winter Soldier

Age of Ultron

Winter Soldier was about half an hour too long and tried to cram too much into it.

GOTG was just right pace and run time wise. The actors were better for the roles as well. The Winter Soldier looked like a wuss IMHO.

In just 2 weeks.

You sound indifferent. I get the feeling you liked GOTG and Captain America: Winter Soldier better than Avengers Age of Ultron,but because you don`t want to upset the crowd your playing neutral. hm

Yeah, that's ME. Don't upset the crowd! lol

Geez Mac, that might be the funniest thing anyone has said to me on here in long, long time.

Myself

I found GOTG and Captain American: Winter Soldier vastly superior movies, and I am looking forward to GOTG 2 and Captain America 3 much more than Avengers 3.

To be honest it`s not even close.

If I HAD to rank them, in terms of superhero movie-one to chose from-deserted island the rest of my life....I'd probably put GOTG first. But A2 is definitely higher on my list than Winter Soldier. I liked Winter Soldier the best as a FILM, but if that was all I had to watch the rest of my life, it'd get old really quick. And not impress many mermaids.

So what exactly does that all mean?

I had someone tell me in the store the other day, "I liked the Green Lantern movie! It's one of my favorites!"

He wasn't drunk, he wasn't being sardonic, he wasn't.... hm....

He just liked it. And that's ok.

But that's not going to make it more financially successful than what already is.

I had someone tell me in the store the other day, "I liked the Green Lantern movie! It's one of my favorites!"

No. It's really not.

off to a great start...

by Pamela McClintock

5/13/2015 7:50am PDT

Furious 7 finally pulled to the side of the road in China to make way for Joss Whedon's Avengers: Age of Ultron, which opened to a record-breaking $33.9 million on Tuesday, the biggest weekday opening of all time.

It's also Disney and Marvel's biggest opening day ever in China, exceeding the first two days of The Avengers in May 2012. All told, Age of Ultron commanded nearly 96 percent of the marketplace.

Ultron's bow in China pushed it past the $600 million mark internationally for a worldwide total of $923 million through Tuesday. It should jump the $1 billion mark by Thursday, while Disney has surpassed the $2 billion mark at the global box office for the 14th consecutive year.

The big question is whether Ultron has any shot at matching Furious 7, which has earned north of $390 million in China to become the top-grossing title of all time.

another editorial...

Disney/Marvel's "Avengers: Age of Ultron" opened in China on Monday with 224 million yuan (US$36.08 million), smashing the weekday box office record.

As one of the most anticipated films of this summer, the sequel of the monster Hollywood blockbuster grossed 29.8 million yuan (US$4.8 million) from 7,560 showings starting at midnight of Monday, the second biggest result only to car-racing action movie "Furious 7," according to tracking institute Movie Box Office.

"Furious 7" achieved the highest midnight box office sales in China with 50.94 million yuan (US$8.2 million), but it opened on a sleepless Saturday midnight (Sunday early morning).

"Avengers: Age of Ultron" grossed 224 million yuan (US$36.08 million) over the whole of Tuesday, counting the movie's midnight income, making it the second biggest opening only to "Furious 7" again, which owned both the opening day and single day sales records with 410 million yuan (US$66.04 million).

However, "Avengers 2" has already set a new weekday record, as it didn't open on a weekend. Many moviegoers still needed to go to work the next day and had to drop their plans to attend the midnight premiere.

The film may attract more moviegoers to cinema this weekend and set some new records, industry observers said. Whether it can top "Furious 7" as the biggest grossing film ever in China remains to be seen, but it will be difficult since "Furious 7" had no clear rival until "Avengers 2," but "Avengers 2" will face a heavyweight rival in two weeks as another Disney blockbuster "Tomorrowland" will hit Chinese theaters on May 22.

"Furious 7" eventually grossed 2.4 billion yuan (US$386.6 million) in total and ended its China run just the day before "Avengers 2."

"Avengers: Age of Ultron" was directed by Joss Whedon and features a cast that includes Robert Downey Jr., Chris Hemsworth, Mark Ruffalo, Chris Evans, Scarlett Johansson, Jeremy Renner, Don Cheadle, Aaron Taylor-Johnson, Elizabeth Olsen, Paul Bettany, Cobie Smulders, Anthony Mackie, Hayley Atwell, Idris Elba, Stellan Skarsgard, James Spader, and Samuel L. Jackson. It has already grossed US$881 million as of Sunday without counting Chinese earnings

No. It's really not.

lol

This is my spin on it.

and

this

Anybody?

Now him.

I agree with all of this. I hope Stark is off'd in CW. Or RDJ retires from the Marvel films.

For me:

GOTG

Captain America Winter Soldier

Age of Ultron

Winter Soldier was about half an hour too long and tried to cram too much into it.

GOTG was just right pace and run time wise. The actors were better for the roles as well. The Winter Soldier looked like a wuss IMHO.

Captain America: Winter Soldier 10/10

( way better than the others and a superior story )

GoTG / Age of Ultron the same for me 7/10

And I thought the Winter Soldier looked and was bad-azz

I was a bit disappointed in the film. I really did like Daredevil a lot, but it's not a "masterpiece" by any means. I have a lot of friends that have watched the first 3-4 episodes, and they quit watching it.

I wonder how much Marvel really did "tie" Joss's hands in directing this. I think quite a bit. I've also read that the actors ego's were so big that they started giving him suggestions as to what their characters should do?? Really?? I'm a writer and have worked in film, and quite honestly go with how Hitchcock dealt with actors...they are cattle in every sense of the word. Sure I'd take advice all day long from Helen Mirren, but from Chris Evans?? Give me a break.

I did like Vision a lot.