• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers 2: Age of Ultron - Seriously

2,574 posts in this topic

I was actually surprised to see the numbers for Monday. It looks like Avengers AOU is going to end up being very front loaded if this trend continues. It is starting to trail the Dark Knight Rises daily so it is possible it is going to wind up $450 million and not $500 million domestic.

One thing that is shocking to me is The Age of Ultron is going to have a hard time beating the first Avengers box office.

The big difference is in the domestic box office.

The first Avengers did $623,000,000 domestic.

The Age of Ultron won`t come close to that domestically! :o

Really I am surprised.

I was actually surprised to see the numbers for Monday. It looks like Avengers AOU is going to end up being very front loaded if this trend continues. It is starting to trail the Dark Knight Rises daily so it is possible it is going to wind up $450 million and not $500 million domestic.

One thing that is shocking to me is The Age of Ultron is going to have a hard time beating the first Avengers box office.

Really I am surprised.

while it wont pass Avengers 1 in the US, all the articles I have seen have said it's worldwide take will easily exceed the first, as just in the growth of the world wide market its a lot bigger then when 1 dropped. There is still a good chance it ends up the third biggest of all time, while not passing Avengers 1 in the US.

Really I am surprised.

you aren't alone. the Age of Ultron 'stock' was estimating $700MM US on the release date- seems unlikely it will get to $500MM. check the 'stock' chart: http://www.hsx.com/security/view/AVNG2

I'm sure they would have loved to have it, but I don't think they're going to be shedding any tears over it if they don't hit $700MM domestically.

The domestic market is becoming less and less important. We don't even get these movies first anymore.

They're also bringing in money in other ways, merchandise being the biggest. We'll never know those numbers, but I'm sure they're huge.

I'm sure they would have loved to have it, but I don't think they're going to be shedding any tears over it if they don't hit $700MM domestically.

The domestic market is becoming less and less important. We don't even get these movies first anymore.

They're also bringing in money in other ways, merchandise being the biggest. We'll never know those numbers, but I'm sure they're huge.

But isn`t American money worth more than Chinese money? The American dollar is the standard.

An example is let`s say I`m selling you a car for $50,000 dollars, and you try to pay me instead in $50,000 yuan!

Wouldn`t I be losing money?

What am I missing here?

Same thing where would I rather be a big hit?

In America were they pay me in dollars or Mexico were they pay me in Pesos?

I think the Worldwide box office is vastly overrated.

They make their real money in America, England ,Canada, Australia and other western countries were their money is worth more.

If I am wrong about this theory please clue me in.

But isn`t American money worth more than Chinese money? The American dollar is the standard.

An example is let`s say I`m selling you a car for $50,000 dollars, and you try to pay me instead in $50,000 yuan!

What am I missing here?

They make their real money in America, England ,Canada, Australia and other western countries were their money is worth more.

I'm pretty sure they take currency translation rates into consideration when they do their math.

China has DOUBLE the COMBINED POPULATION of all the countries you named. And when translated to American dollars, their movies are probably like 70-85% per ticket of American ticket prices on average. And their spending options are somewhat limited so more movies are right in their wheelhouse for disposable income. Which doesn't even mention India, who loves movies more than anyone and has the SECOND biggest population in the world.

Just go back and look at the stats of where money is being made?

What am I missing here?

I'm pretty sure they take currency translation rates into consideration when they do their math.

China has DOUBLE the COMBINED POPULATION of all the countries you named. And when translated to American dollars, their movies are probably like 70-85% per ticket of American ticket prices on average. And their spending options are somewhat limited so more movies are right in their wheelhouse for disposable income. Which doesn't even mention India, who loves movies more than anyone and has the SECOND biggest population in the world.

Just go back and look at the stats of where money is being made?

1 Chinese Yuan equals 0.16 US Dollar.

Also

1 Indian Rupee equals

0.016 US Dollar.

The Money Converter.

So if your a big Hollywood company I think it`s more important to get paid in US dollars than a Chinese Yuan or Indian Rupee.

If anybody else wants to chime in on this with us.

I am all ears.

:)

Really I am surprised.

while it wont pass Avengers 1 in the US, all the articles I have seen have said it's worldwide take will easily exceed the first, as just in the growth of the world wide market its a lot bigger then when 1 dropped. There is still a good chance it ends up the third biggest of all time, while not passing Avengers 1 in the US.

If the U.S. take falls $150 million short of Avengers 1, the chances of Avengers AOU making up for that internationally is dubious. Even China is not going to be able to make up that difference. The first Avengers did very, very well internationally.

What am I missing here?

U.S. money is worth more because the percentage of the movie money from foreign countries is smaller. The studios do not make as much on the foreign releases because they have middle men they have to pay that don't come into consideration in the U.S. There is a Forbes article floating around that explains all this.

The main point I'm trying to make is that a two decades from now... hell, maybe even in ten short years... the foreign take for blockbusters of this type will probably dwarf the domestic take. If these film companies aren't planning with that in mind then they wouldn't be doing their job.

If the concept of a "middle class" continues to take hold in places like China, their spending power will make the (shrinking) US middle class's look paltry by comparison.

What am I missing here?

The above assumes that a ticket price in the US is $10 and the ticket price in China is 10 Yuan. If the Yuan is 1/10 the value of a dollar, the price in China is likely closer to 100 Yuan for a ticket.

When you go to Japan and buy a PS4 (when the currency trades at 8/100 Dollars) it doesn't cost 400 Yen vs $400 here, it costs 40,000 Yen.

Travelers can take advantage of currency fluctuations to get nice deals, but not to the degree you are talking about.

The main point I'm trying to make is that a two decades from now... hell, maybe even in ten short years... the foreign take for blockbusters of this type will probably dwarf the domestic take. If these film companies aren't planning with that in mind then they wouldn't be doing their job.

If the concept of a "middle class" continues to take hold in places like China, their spending power will make the (shrinking) US middle class's look paltry by comparison.

agree

NO ONE is saying that the domestic market isn't important. It is. And it will be. BUT its importance is being diminished (one could argue about the speed) with the increasing size of the international market, especially China. No one is saying they get 1 for 1 each (translated) dollar earned in China. Would you rather earn a dollar in the US vs China? of course.

BUT the international market IS representing more of the total pie than it has in the past, and will likely continue to do so. SO companies will factor that into their decision making in terms of what movies to make, who to cast, how to market, how to distribute, and how they measure success.

Note: There probably could be a bit more transparency about how 'box office numbers' and revneues that are actually collected by studios, BUT as long as the metric has been consistent over time, I'm not sure it matters that much.

The above assumes that a ticket price in the US is $10 and the ticket price in China is 10 Yuan. If the Yuan is 1/10 the value of a dollar, the price in China is likely closer to 100 Yuan for a ticket

exactly right, and the Worldwide (non-US) box office is expressed and calculated in US dollars, not foreign currencies. Yuan, etc, dont even enter the discussion of box office takes.

The above assumes that a ticket price in the US is $10 and the ticket price in China is 10 Yuan. If the Yuan is 1/10 the value of a dollar, the price in China is likely closer to 100 Yuan for a ticket

exactly right, and the Worldwide (non-US) box office is expressed and calculated in US dollars, not foreign currencies. Yuan, etc, dont even enter the discussion of box office takes.

Do we have a source for that?

I`m not trying to be confrontational, but I `m a stickler for details.

:foryou:

What am I missing here?

U.S. money is worth more because the percentage of the movie money from foreign countries is smaller. The studios do not make as much on the foreign releases because they have middle men they have to pay that don't come into consideration in the U.S. There is a Forbes article floating around that explains all this.

100% correct. the studios take on domestic BO is roughly 55%, on Int'l (other than China) it's roughly 35%, in China it's roughly 25%. still, we are talking about how big a pile of gold Scrooge McDuck is raking in and not whether they are raking in any gold.

its pretty obvious in most cases, as it would be INSANE to just provide numbers in local currency and add them together with currencies from everywhere else.

http://deadline.com/2015/05/avengers-age-of-ultron-record-china-box-office-disney-marvel-1201425942/

honestly that fact that anyone would even think that anyone in journalism or finance or the companies or here would not take currency translation into account, brings up a whole world of other sad questions....

Interstellar completely eclipses Sunshine as a movie in my opinion.

Sunshine was ok but the last part of the movie was a bit pants. Not as good an effort as 28 Days Later.

What about the ending of Interstellar though? I thought it was so shockingly bad that it was an insult to the audience that i got kinda angry!

28 Days Later works on every level and is a 100% terrific movie.

+1

Yes, it's called the dollar sign, right in front of the number.

Yes, it's called the dollar sign, right in front of the number.

lol