• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers 2: Age of Ultron - Seriously

2,574 posts in this topic

But isn`t American money worth more than Chinese money? The American dollar is the standard.

The above assumes that a ticket price in the US is $10 and the ticket price in China is 10 Yuan. If the Yuan is 1/10 the value of a dollar, the price in China is likely closer to 100 Yuan for a ticket

exactly right, and the Worldwide (non-US) box office is expressed and calculated in US dollars, not foreign currencies. Yuan, etc, dont even enter the discussion of box office takes.

Do we have a source for that?

I`m not trying to be confrontational, but I `m a stickler for details.

:foryou:

its pretty obvious in most cases, as it would be INSANE to just provide numbers in local currency and add them together with currencies from everywhere else.

http://deadline.com/2015/05/avengers-age-of-ultron-record-china-box-office-disney-marvel-1201425942/

honestly that fact that anyone would even think that anyone in journalism or finance or the companies or here would not take currency translation into account, brings up a whole world of other sad questions....

If this was 20 to 25 years ago I would agree with you, but we are talking now when anybody can blog. The bar for journalism is set far lower now than ever.

I`m going to look into this much further, and come back in the future with a more definite answer.

I appreciate and thank you for your quick response.

But isn`t American money worth more than Chinese money? The American dollar is the standard.

The above assumes that a ticket price in the US is $10 and the ticket price in China is 10 Yuan. If the Yuan is 1/10 the value of a dollar, the price in China is likely closer to 100 Yuan for a ticket

exactly right, and the Worldwide (non-US) box office is expressed and calculated in US dollars, not foreign currencies. Yuan, etc, dont even enter the discussion of box office takes.

Yes, it's called the dollar sign, right in front of the number.

lol

At least I questioned the data, and didn`t follow it blindly like most sheep.

(:

lol

(:

The data didn't have to be questioned....a basic degree in common sense would have gone a long way in this case.

Jim

Because, they will all want to see why Hot Toys is making them work around the clock to make high end toys! :D

The things people will say on the Internet. You know other people read this and this isn't your group of friends or your own thoughts, right?

Jim

Because, they will all want to see why Hot Toys is making them work around the clock to make high end toys! :D

The things people will say on the Internet. You know other people read this and this isn't your group of friends or your own thoughts, right?

Jim

Stupid people have no filters, or care to

lol

(:

The data didn't have to be questioned....a basic degree in common sense would have gone a long way in this case.

Jim

Really? Who sez?

Tell me all your knowledge about the Yuan and Rupee?

I bet many CGC board members can`t.

By me bringing this up I brought some answers out in the open.

Maybe people want some clarification about China and the worldwide box office? (shrug)

It`s a little more complicated than domestic.

You can talk and spin about China this and China that, but the

bottom line is The Age of Ultron will not beat The Avengers at the box office.

To me it`s disappointing and surprising.

2c

I wouldn't count Age of Ultron out just yet. I think you're still underestimating China.

As I think someone mentioned earlier, Furious 7 has done $339 million in the U.S. so far, but it's done $389 million in China. Age of Ultron hasn't even opened there yet.

I think Age of Ultron is going to end up around $475 million in the U.S. If it manages to follow the same pattern as Furious 7 - which is not a given, but possible - we're talking around $550 million in China. Just those two figures alone would push the worldwide total for Age of Ultron above the final take of Avengers.

$550 million in China seems like an awful lot, of course. But I think at least $400+ million is likely. And Japan is still yet to open as well.

I think Age of Ultron very well might beat Avengers in worldwide gross before this is all done.

I wouldn't count Age of Ultron out just yet. I think you're still underestimating China.

As I think someone mentioned earlier, Furious 7 has done $339 million in the U.S. so far, but it's done $389 million in China. Age of Ultron hasn't even opened there yet.

I think Age of Ultron is going to end up around $475 million in the U.S. If it manages to follow the same pattern as Furious 7 - which is not a given, but possible - we're talking around $550 million in China. Just those two figures alone would push the worldwide total for Age of Ultron above the final take of Avengers.

$550 million in China seems like an awful lot, of course. But I think at least $400+ million is likely. And Japan is still yet to open as well.

I think Age of Ultron very well might beat Avengers in worldwide gross before this is all done.

Maybe, but it won`t come close to beating Avengers domestic.

Because of this I now will lower my expectations on Ant-Man`s domestic.

I was pegging it at 240 million. I don`t see it breaking 200 million domestic now.

btw I love Age of Ultron, but something's up with the lower domestic total.

Maybe piracy?

Really to do $623,357,910 domestic with Avengers,than to be at 324,791,589 Age of Ultron domestic is considered a major disappointment.

Age of Ultron was predicted to do 700 million domestic!

They better hope that Yuan converts good.

:)

I really enjoyed Avengers: Age of Ultron.

That said, and how it's probably not going to out gross the original domestically, i wonder if all those folks who were saying Cap 3 will crush BvS want to take those bets back.

Like i said in a previous post, since Cap 3 is being touted as Avengers 2.5, NO third installment in a trilogy bests the previous movies in gross or story quality. The third is always the weakest installment. ALWAYS. There are only two movies i can think of that were the exceptions, not the rule: Iron Man 3 (weakest story wise imho, but killed 2 at the box office), and Revenge of the Sith (story wise, best of the prequel trilogy)

BvS is 'fresh' in that it is the first time the two biggest super heroes of all times will be on the big screen together. It will beat Cap 3 easily.

That said, and how it's probably not going to out gross the original domestically, i wonder if all those folks who were saying Cap 3 will crush BvS want to take those bets back.

Like i said in a previous post, since Cap 3 is being touted as Avengers 2.5, NO third installment in a trilogy bests the previous movies in gross or story quality. The third is always the weakest installment. ALWAYS. There are only two movies i can think of that were the exceptions, not the rule: Iron Man 3 (weakest story wise imho, but killed 2 at the box office), and Revenge of the Sith (story wise, best of the prequel trilogy)

BvS is 'fresh' in that it is the first time the two biggest super heroes of all times will be on the big screen together. It will beat Cap 3 easily.

Who made the bets? I missed that.

I will predict BvS will be the peak of this super hero movie bubble craze box office wise.

Avengers was phase 1 King, but nothing can top Batman v Superman with mainstream. The two icons duking it out.

After that Captain America 3 keeps up the momentum,than the slow slide begins.

Not in this thread, but else where there were folks 'betting," though i'm sure only in the idea that they were 100% certain of the out come because of the track record of the Marvel Machine, of these two films going head to head next summer that they'd have nothing to lose.

And i agree with you, BvS will be the peak.

we'll see but Age of Ultron opening day in China (a Tuesday) was $33MM, F&F7's was $70MM (a Sunday). Disney saying AoU opened at 2x IM3 (a Wednesday) which ultimately did $120MM in China. i'd say right now WW box office vs Avengers is a toss up: 475MM domestic and $1.05-1.1BB foreign

btw I love Age of Ultron, but something's up with the lower domestic total.

Maybe piracy?

I think it has more to do with the movie. My friend and I took our kids to it tonight, and while it was okay, it was not a movie that will see repeat viewings IMHO. It felt plodding at parts, and some of the character development was way too forced. Ultron was not as strong of a villain as Loki, which hurt the film as well. The foreshadowing of the team splitting up, and then having big guns replaced by lightweights at the end, hurt the film as well. When RDJ finally leaves as Iron Man I can see this franchise taking a big hit as well.

It's fairly simple why the movie isn't doing as well as the first one. It's not about currency fluctuations or piracy or what it has in competition.

It's because its not as good.

Is that true, though? I haven't seen this movie yet. Or is it more the uniqueness has warn off like what Avengers brought the first time around?

But as far as the financial comparisons go, there is something else just as important. Marvel just invested $30 MM more into this movie than it did the original Avengers (Avengers 1 budget was $220 MM; Avengers 2 was an estimated $250 MM). And based on inflation rates between 2012 to 2015, to beat Avengers 1 the new movie would have to exceed $1.56 billion - not $1.52 billion. That's a $43,158,061 difference due to inflation. Many international box offices don't even hit that number.

A70-3605.jpg

The movie has definitely lost the feeling of freshness and surprising fun that was a feature of the first.

I think the age of some of the actors has added to the jadedness of some of the performances as I've detailed earlier in this thread. Notably RDJ, Renner and Ruffalo. Also SJ as Widow was cringeworthy and spoiled the movie for the female I saw it with.

Loki was a far better villain than Ultron - the brother dynamic with Thor was very well handled and great for the plot. AOU was just left with the people 'hitting robots till they stop moving' plot device which has been played to death in numerous movies.

It just wasn't as good as the first in every notable way. The Direction, Acting, Effects, Plot, -script and Editing were second best to its older sibling.

A70-3605.jpg

I dunno if that beats Raiders, but it was certainly better than the second.

Three words - 'Toy Story 3'.

Or 'Goldfinger'.

Currently this movie needs a little less then 600 million to equal the first. China and Japan are next (12 May/4 July) When its said and done Avengers 2 will make close to or better then the first. I don't know what all the negativity is for? This movie is another BLOCKBUSTER, simple as that. 500 more million and it will beat Furious 7.... I believe it will!! wait and see. I'm going to go see it again this week for the second time.. LOVED IT!

A70-3605.jpg

Yep, the weakest installment. :whistle: