• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avengers 2: Age of Ultron - Seriously

2,574 posts in this topic

What's the fixation with the box office take when assessing movies?

When a super-hero movie is successful, it makes it more likely that I will get to see more successful super-hero movies. I'm 35, so I got into comics during the Wizard phase. Each month, they'd have a casting call for a different super-her movie. Didn't everyone want to see their beloved funny-books translated to screen?

Now that it's a reality, I think it's easy to get jaded by the glut of comic-related movies. As for me, I'm going to enjoy the ride. Was AoU a technically good movie? Probably not. But I had my popcorn out enjoying the spectacle the whole time.

So what's going to happen to the Vision when Thanos rips the mind gem out of his head? Seems to be an integral part of his makeup (Jarvis + Ultron + mind gem = Vision).

They may need Warlock after all.

my theory is that Vision's character has been consolidated with Warlocks, (the gem, the way he was created sounds more Warlock than Vision) and he will effectively be Warlock, and probably sacrifice himself to defeat Thanos in Avengers 4. The old, robot shows how much humanity he has by sacrificing himself to save the rest of us comic trope. meh

Maybe. But...the soul gem is still out there.... and that's Warlock's.

Yes, and your theory doesn't answer my question. At some point, Thanos will have to assemble the Gauntlet. What happens to Vision when he does?

He'll steal it from him. The Vision becomes a mindless machine who attacks his own team, taking valuable time away from their battling Thanos, who puts his plan into effect with the distraction.

Somehow they find a way for Vision to tap into his own computer mind and realize he's learned enough from the mind gem to be an Emotional Artificial Intelligence without the gem. It makes him so happy a tear streams down his face. Even an Android can cry.

and/or scarlet witch gives him the whammy and makes him into a real boy. like pinocchio

This is probably right (one or the other), but I still think they'll bring in Warlock (and not because I'm sitting on a mountain of Thor 165s or FF 67s). Soul gem likely is introduced in Dr. Strange with perhaps a Warlock preview.

Warlock was one of my favorite hippy weirdos growing up, though, so I could be biased.

When a super-hero movie is successful, it makes it more likely that I will get to see more successful super-hero movies. I'm 35, so I got into comics during the Wizard phase. Each month, they'd have a casting call for a different super-her movie. Didn't everyone want to see their beloved funny-books translated to screen?

Now that it's a reality, I think it's easy to get jaded by the glut of comic-related movies. As for me, I'm going to enjoy the ride. Was AoU a technically good movie? Probably not. But I had my popcorn out enjoying the spectacle the whole time.

+111

Additionally, while we all enjoy seeing our favorite characters on the big screen, for MOST of us, they're just movies, and not directly tied to our well being. We're mostly not movie or tv executives, or own comic-related businesses where our well being is directly (or indirectly) tied to the success of comic book movies. If comic book movies start to suck or fall out of favor, there will be plenty of other entertaining shows on tv or great movies in the theatres. Most of us have lived for many years without comic book movies/shows in our lives and done ok.

I say enjoy the ride, no need to take it too seriously, unless its your job to take it seriously.

Let`s go back to this. :)

I really liked Avengers; Age of Ultron,but I grade it a solid B.

I grade GOTG and Captain America : Winter Soldier both A.

There is the disappointment.

I think we were all spoiled last year.

As a subgenre of action movies, we still don't have a Die Hard-level super-hero flick. Here's hoping one comes along. :wishluck:

BOX OFFICE:AVENGERS AGE OF ULTRON Joins The Billion Dollar Club

Disney and Marvel have another movie in the billion-dollar club. After breaking records in China this week with a $33.9 million opening, Avengers: Age Of Ultron has gone on to pass the $1 billion mark at the global box office on its 24th day of release. Only two other Marvel movies have enjoyed this success (Avengers Assemble and Iron Man 3), but it's actually the eighth Disney release to surpass the billion dollar threshold.

OK, so now the Avengers: Age of Ultron has two big hurdles left.

So does it have enough juice to beat Avengers 1 worldwide?

Does it have enough juice to be beat Furious 7 for top movie of the year world wide?

The surprising Furious 7 is at = Worldwide: $1,468,133,495.

As a subgenre of action movies, we still don't have a Die Hard-level super-hero flick. Here's hoping one comes along. :wishluck:

Sounds good, but what Marvel character are you thinking of to pull it off?

Who knows? Doesn't have to be Marvel or even DC. I think Marvel with Feige as the Grand Poobah is too formulaic to do something really great. Their movies are really good for what they want them to be (re: make money and create a connected universe), but there may not be enough room for something truly extraordinary.

Who knows? Doesn't have to be Marvel or even DC. I think Marvel with Feige as the Grand Poobah is too formulaic to do something really great. Their movies are really good for what they want them to be (re: make money and create a connected universe), but there may not be enough room for something truly extraordinary.

agreed

agreed

Could've been Ant-Man, but Feige put the kibosh on it because it strayed too far from their formula.

agreed

Black Panther might do this. Captain Marvel in space might do this. ORRR Darkhawk.

The problem is its hard to something so 'new' these days. I guess you could just do 'taken meets die hard' with black panther and be pretty entertaining, but I don't know if it would define a new genre or change the game.

"Die-Hard level superhero flick"

What does that even mean?

Geez, you take 50 year old funny book characters in brightly colored tights, put them in a superhero movie that scores 92% from critics and 91% from fans (the first Avengers movie), meaning it's critically received, and on top of that makes over a BILLION dollars world wide...

...and still, some guy in the back row stands up and says, "Well... it's no Die Hard!"

:facepalm:

Geez, you take 50 year old funny book characters in brightly colored tights, put them in a superhero movie that scores 92% from critics and 91% from fans (the first Avengers movie), meaning it's critically received, and on top of that makes over a BILLION dollars world wide...

...and still, some guy in the back row stands up and says, "Well... it's no Die Hard!"

You're 'interpretation' of my post: :facepalm:

You wrote: "As a subgenre of action movies, we still don't have a Die Hard-level super-hero flick. Here's hoping one comes along."

How exactly did I misinterpret that?

You wrote: "As a subgenre of action movies, we still don't have a Die Hard-level super-hero flick. Here's hoping one comes along."

Context. I've continually said that I've enjoyed these movies for what they are: money-making machines that are a great (one-time) ride. I also at times 'geek-out' at the different comic characters, sub-plots, interpretations, easter eggs, etc. that we get to experience as comic fans.

In a second post on the same thread, I wrote:

IMO, none of these movies have been truly extraordinary or meaningful. I used Die Hard as an example because it is, IMO, the finest action flick ever created. Stands up against the test time and repeat viewings over and over again.

Now, we've had some really good comic-inspired movies such as Road to Perdition, but I wouldn't put that into the 'super-hero' genre.

Now, these are all, admittedly, my opinions, so perhaps you can quote me as saying, quietly to my friend sitting next to me, 'that was a pretty cool flick, but it certainly ain't Die Hard'. I'm still patiently awaiting a super-her masterpiece. Context, y'see?

Have a bunch of people in this forum purchased a bunch of disney stock or something?

I could give a flying F what movies do in the box office. People seeing movies is like people taking surveys in the mall. You can't take it seriously.

Context. I've continually said that I've enjoyed these movies for what they are: money-making machines that are a great (one-time) ride. I also at times 'geek-out' at the different comic characters, sub-plots, interpretations, easter eggs, etc. that we get to experience as comic fans.

IMO, none of these movies have been truly extraordinary or meaningful. I used Die Hard as an example because it is, IMO, the finest action flick ever created. Stands up against the test time and repeat viewings over and over again.

Now, we've had some really good comic-inspired movies such as Road to Perdition, but I wouldn't put that into the 'super-hero' genre.

Now, these are all, admittedly, my opinions, so perhaps you can quote me as saying, quietly to my friend sitting next to me, 'that was a pretty cool flick, but it certainly ain't Die Hard'. I'm still patiently awaiting a super-her masterpiece. Context, y'see?

lkmdj.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker

Can someone help me here? It STILL sounds to me as if you're saying that Die Hard is a great movie that none of these Marvel movies has lived up to.

Which is peculiar to me because, I just don't see Die Hard as anything other than a well done action movie that's also formulaic, and, as action films go, created as a money making machine, based upon 3 very mediocre sequels.

Finest action flick ever created? I guess that goes with opinion, and you're certainly entitled to that, because even adjusted for inflation Die Hard doesn't come near either Avengers Domestic box office haul.

Now Die Hard is 27 years old, and it's quite possible that as some of these movies reach 27 years of age, they may not hold up, quite as well as Die Hard has (opinion). It's quite possible. To me, the first Batman movie looks kinda dorky. But none of these Marvel movies done by Feige are any closer than 12 more years away from that total.

And truth be told, I just didn't think Die Hard was all THAT great. Never understood why it was held in such high regard. If I had to pick a one guy against all odds type of thriller for an all time classic from that period, I'd probably pick Harrison Ford's The Fugitive. That movie holds up great, though I haven't watched Die Hard in quite sometime.