• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC 2014, July 23-27, San Diego, Ca.

642 posts in this topic

Considering the fact that it seemed like a c**p-shoot by logging in at the same time and hoping your screen didn't freeze, etc, having a randomized system doesn't seem so bad to me. I rarely meet someone who successfully bought their tickets online in the past, maybe that will change.

More info below. I was glad to see that we are all limited to one entry into the waiting room. So no one can log in and take their chance with multiple devices.

"Over the next few days we’ll be posting additional information on how the new EPIC Registration system will work for preregistration. We know change can be a little unnerving, but we really do believe this new system is a better solution that solves many of the issues we’ve had in the past.

To log in to the EPIC Registration waiting room, every eligible attendee will need their own personal registration code. This helps keep out members who are not eligible and block those pesky bots that want to crash the system! Your personal registration code will be sent to you via email with a link to the registration landing page. This email will go out at least 24 hours prior to the sale. If you do not receive your email, don’t fret. You will be able to access your personal registration code by logging in to your Member ID account and selecting the “Registration Info” tab.

At 7:00 AM Pacific Time on the day of the sale, the EPIC landing page will open for registration code entry. There is no need to rush to the landing page at 7:00 AM! Eligible attendees will have two full hours to enter their registration codes and access the waiting room. There is no advantage in arriving at the waiting room early, so sleep in a little later or enjoy your morning cup o’ Joe. Just be sure to log in with your registration code before the sale begins at the designated time.

When the sale begins after 9:00 AM PT, EPIC will take everyone who is already in the waiting room and sort them in line randomly for their registration session. You can enter the waiting room two hours before the sale begins, or 10 minutes before the sale begins, and your chances are the same. Your wait time is up to you!

Once everyone has been assigned a spot in line, badge sales will begin and anyone who enters the waiting room after this point will be sent to the back of the line. A member cannot enter the waiting room 15 minutes after the sale starts and get a better spot in line than those who were there when the sale began.

There are a few important points to consider:

• Your personal registration code will only allow you one entry into the waiting room. You may not enter the waiting room multiple times on multiple devices or browsers.

• It is very important that you do not refresh while you are in the waiting room, especially right when the badge sale begins. If you refresh during the sorting period, you will be sent to the back of the line.

• Everyone may still purchase badges for up to three people during your registration session. When you get to the front of the line, you may make purchases for people who are still in line, if desired.

• If someone purchases a badge for you while you are still in line, you will still get an opportunity to purchase badges for three other eligible people should you reach the front of the line as well.

We hope that we have been able to address some of your concerns. For those who prefer to see it, rather than read it, we will be posting an instructional video on our website prior to the badge preregistration. This video will be a step-by-step tutorial of the entire process from start to finish and we hope that you take a few minutes of your day to check it out."

I can't even do pre-reg because I didn't have tickets last year or the year before. If it wasn't for a fantastic dealer who allowed me to purchase Tix from, I would have not been able to go the last 2 years. Prior to that I went every year. Tix are to hard to purchase now. I'm hoping I can earn or should I say luck out to buy them via the open registration for myself and my family. I would buy a lifetime ticket if they sold them.

I can't even do pre-reg because I didn't have tickets last year or the year before. If it wasn't for a fantastic dealer who allowed me to purchase Tix from, I would have not been able to go the last 2 years. Prior to that I went every year. Tix are to hard to purchase now. I'm hoping I can earn or should I say luck out to buy them via the open registration for myself and my family. I would buy a lifetime ticket if they sold them.

It is tough to buy a ticket these days. I have gone the last 21 years in a row. If for some reason I am at the end of the line when pre-reg opens and all that is left is a Sunday ticket then I'll have to buy that, even if I end up not going to the con, just in order to have a chance at next year. I wish they would extend the con to a week, this would most likely make it more worthwhile for the dealers and exhibitors and give more people a chance to attend. The ticket demand would support a lengthened con and most people are not likely to want to attend for a full week, so more people would have a chance to go. I'd go for a full week though!!

It is tough to buy a ticket these days. I have gone the last 21 years in a row. If for some reason I am at the end of the line when pre-reg opens and all that is left is a Sunday ticket then I'll have to buy that, even if I end up not going to the con, just in order to have a chance at next year. I wish they would extend the con to a week, this would most likely make it more worthwhile for the dealers and exhibitors and give more people a chance to attend. The ticket demand would support a lengthened con and most people are not likely to want to attend for a full week, so more people would have a chance to go. I'd go for a full week though!!

I hadn't thought about this, but I think it is true -- and beyond just buying the tix, you *have* to go if you want a shot at the next year, even if you get fewer days than you want. You will have to have the id number off the badge they issue to get into pre-reg for the next year. Significant benefit to those who are within driving distance.

This changes my strategy though -- I had been thinking that if I can't go at least all 4 days, then I would skip and go to heroes instead. Now I'm thinking I would still go even if I only got tix for 2 days, just so I can make sure I get a shot at the next year.

1 day? would have to heavily consider.

When will this show jump the shark? Need the demand to decrease . . .

Hi,

I am planning to visit SDCC again (with my wife).

I already booked my flight and hopefully will get tickets as well.

Anyway I tried booking (any) Hotel in Downtown SD for the time of the convention but everything seems to be blocked.

How does the Hotel Booking for SDCC work out? If I get tickets do I have a good chance to book a Hotel in Downtown SD.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Many thanks.

I hadn't thought about this, but I think it is true -- and beyond just buying the tix, you *have* to go if you want a shot at the next year, even if you get fewer days than you want. You will have to have the id number off the badge they issue to get into pre-reg for the next year. Significant benefit to those who are within driving distance.

This changes my strategy though -- I had been thinking that if I can't go at least all 4 days, then I would skip and go to heroes instead. Now I'm thinking I would still go even if I only got tix for 2 days, just so I can make sure I get a shot at the next year.

1 day? would have to heavily consider.

When will this show jump the shark? Need the demand to decrease . . .

Yeah, I've already gone over all the scenarios with the friend I go with every year. We are betting that we will AT LEAST get a Thursday and Sunday ticket. If we get that we'll probably try to wheel and deal and do something to get in one of the other days. If we get a bit luckier we will be able to get a Friday ticket too, so sitting out just Saturday alone won't be too bad. This should be very interesting. My guess is that we get our chance this Saturday and if so, they will announce sometime between Wed and Fri.

Anyone looking for lodging should check these sites out:

vrbo.com

and

airbnb.com

My first year at SDCC (2009), I scored a room a mile from the con for $45 @ night. There are deals to be found, and I suggest you start looking now.

Pre-Reg ticket sales start Saturday 2/8!!!!!

Hopefully this random lobby doesn't screw any of us out of tix.

Good luck to us all. You will see some come on and post here gleefully bragging about their conquest, others will come on and pout. Saturday will sell out first so I'll consider myself lucky to get Thurs/Fri/Sun. Anything more is just icing on the cake!