• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SDCC 2014, July 23-27, San Diego, Ca.

642 posts in this topic

Sounds like they were finally able to get me Sunday. Still in the waiting room myself. This is atrocious. I can guarantee that people that showed up after 9 got in before me.

How?

I can't see how there were 100k people in that queue before they went live. Maybe, but I feel like latecomers had a chance before me.

They only sell a portion of the tix at pre reg. I think like 20-30k. There's always general reg.

Sounds like they were finally able to get me Sunday. Still in the waiting room myself. This is atrocious. I can guarantee that people that showed up after 9 got in before me.

How?

I can't see how there were 100k people in that queue before they went live. Maybe, but I feel like latecomers had a chance before me.

They only sell a portion of the tix at pre reg. I think like 20-30k. There's always general reg.

20-30K? Where do you get these numbers? People are always posting numbers, many say 50% sold at this time, now 20-30K. Is this rumor, speculation, a guess? A hint from an insider? I have seen no verified information about any of this. Not saying this info has not been published, I'm just saying I haven't seen it.

How?

20-30K? Where do you get these numbers? People are always posting numbers, many say 50% sold at this time, now 20-30K. Is this rumor, speculation, a guess? A hint from an insider? I have seen no verified information about any of this. Not saying this info has not been published, I'm just saying I haven't seen it.

Just what I was told a few years ago by people working the lines the first year they limited pre reg. based on prior attendance and the con center capacity they must sell 80-100k to the public with the rest being pros and media. If you figure they are holding even a simple majority of those for the general reg process (unlikely) then the number must be in the range I indicated. Preview night has a much smaller cap too. All the data points I have point to that number.

Do you have other data?

Got lucky with 2 4-day passes + Preview Night.

I can't believe they waited so long to finally go ahead with the pre-registration.

Folks need time to plan and save for this fairly expensive show. Giving the people in the general sales only 2-3 months to prepare is pretty crappy.

How?

Just what I was told a few years ago by people working the lines the first year they limited pre reg. based on prior attendance and the con center capacity they must sell 80-100k to the public with the rest being pros and media. If you figure they are holding even a simple majority of those for the general reg process (unlikely) then the number must be in the range I indicated. Preview night has a much smaller cap too. All the data points I have point to that number.

Do you have other data?

You would not think preview night had a smaller cap based on last year. I thought it was busier than Saturday.

How?

Do you have other data?

No, I don't have any other data, that is why I was asking. I often see people just putting out these numbers about how many were sold when and where and etc. I just don't know where these numbers come from. The reason I bring it up is because based on how the numbers are presented it may give people more or less hope about getting tickets down the line, and if it has that effect, I'd at least hope the info is based on accurate information.

How?

Do you have other data?

No, I don't have any other data, that is why I was asking. I often see people just putting out these numbers about how many were sold when and where and etc. I just don't know where these numbers come from. The reason I bring it up is because based on how the numbers are presented it may give people more or less hope about getting tickets down the line, and if it has that effect, I'd at least hope the info is based on accurate information.

All you have to do is take the rules you know and the data you have. They have put in more scrutiny on media and pros the last couple of years in order to create more general public tix. For certain there are significantly fewer preview night than regular based on how quickly it sells out vs Friday or sat. Even if they didn't explicitly say that there were fewer.

The competition will be higher for general though. In preregistration you are competing with at most 100k people for let's say 30k spots whereas during general reg you may compete with 2-5x that number for roughly 70k spots. I could be off by 10-20k either way on total tix though I don't have a strong handle on the total population that tries for tix vs those that get them. And it was nigh impossible in the past for cci to really know either. If they use the same system for general reg that they used for pre reg then a. They'll know that number a bit better and b. they should prevent server crashes.

Based on the amount of nerd rage I would guess there are at least 1.5x as many people who want tix as those avail and perhaps as high as 5x.

So did they sell out with anyone still waiting to get some kind of pass or did everyone at least get a day or two?? (shrug)

I know of at least one person (friend of a friend) who got shut out. I think most everybody got at least one day in pre-reg.

going to be interesting to see what they do for general sale. are they going to make everybody get a member id and declare interest prior to the sale? I think that's the only way this new system would work.

I'm hoping for all 4 days and preview for GENERAL sales for the family!!!! Send me that email so I can take SATURDAY OFF!!!!!

+1

Waiting for that email saying what day open registration will be on.need to ask for the day off and hope to score a badge, 4 day + preview :wishluck:

Does anyone know when the hotels will be available?

not until well after general registration. Usually it is in april or may, iirc. I expect it will probably be May this year based on the current rate of registration. They are running a few months behind due to the implementation of the new registration system.

I wonder if they will do something different wrt hotel registration this year too.

In the past, it was all about how quickly you could fill out and submit the form.

Hotels usually go on sale right around this time. Last year travel planners opened up the reservation process on February 26th then closed it and re-opened it again on March 12th.

I too am eagerly awaiting the announcement, but as Trev pointed out, it makes sense that it won't happen until after general registration. If I had to take a guess though, I would say hotels reservations open up by the end of March.

Early bird hotel reservations just opened, but none of the hotels listed are close to the convention center. Most are in Mission Valley. I guess they're encouraging people to make reservations at hotels further away from the CC.

Early bird hotel reservations just opened, but none of the hotels listed are close to the convention center. Most are in Mission Valley. I guess they're encouraging people to make reservations at hotels further away from the CC.

They've done this program for the last few years. It's always just hotels on the shuttle route in mission valley. If you would stay there anyway, this is a good deal.

Parking passes? When do they go up for sale? No tix in hand, but taking a chance to buy parking passes. At least I have a better chance to buy those than the real SDCC tix.

Parking Passes are traditionally the last things to go on sale. From the early bird hotel announce, it is looking like the remaining sched is most likely:

Now-Apr 8: Early Bird Hotel

Mid-Late Mar: General Reg

Late April-Mid May: General Hotel

May/June: Parking

They seem to be running about 2-3 months behind the typical schedule, and I haven't seen any indication from them to change the pace. I expect it mostly has to do with their staff and ability to handle the traffic of requests, complaints, changes, etc.