• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

my SDCC review

264 posts in this topic

This was my first SDCC.

Well it was a lot of fun in all in all very exhausting. The high point for me was meeting a ton of boardies whom I now can put a name to a face. Doug, James, JJ, Steven you guys made the trip for me, thanks. Also hanging with the CGC crew, that's always a blast

My next favorite high point was getting a captain America comic signed by the cast of Captain America II, The line for the sigs was long and we were packed in so tight that it seemed like ten or more people were breathing the air I usually reserve for me. The one thing that kept me upright was the knowledge that if I passed out I would most not hit the floor…. Really it was that tight…

Other highlights…. Getting 20 George R.R. Martin books signed… Special thanks to Mollie for doing some CAW work for me, w/o much notice. You are the best.

Getting 6 Stan Lee books and 15 Superman Unchained #1 books signed (Most with 4 or 5 signatures)

One of the frustrating at things at the was that the exhibitor badges (I had one) made it very difficult or down right excluded you from purchasing exclusives, and in the case of DC Comics kept you from getting signatures.

The vendors were told that anyone with an exhibitor badge could not line up prior to the doors opening (I was told be several, that I could not line up prior to a ½ hour after the doors were open. The justification was that FANS deserve the first shot at exclusives…

I understand that the issue with DC excluding exhibitors from getting signatures was caused by a specific facilitator’s behavior during a show prior to SDCC. I guess Jim Lee placed a ban on all CGC SS for exhibitors at the DC booth, apparently he’s had enough of that… doh!

Thanks Ryan for the assist in getting Jim Lee’s sig anyway

Steve,

I had a blast hanging out with you, Rich, RMA, Brian, JJ, and the whole "CGC west" crew. Thanks to you and especially Rich for letting Doug, Cody, James, Scott, and I have a place to call home on the floor. You guys rock.

Seconded :D The con was a blast and having a home on the floor was great :D

This was my first SDCC.

Well it was a lot of fun in all in all very exhausting. The high point for me was meeting a ton of boardies whom I now can put a name to a face. Doug, James, JJ, Steven you guys made the trip for me, thanks. Also hanging with the CGC crew, that's always a blast

My next favorite high point was getting a captain America comic signed by the cast of Captain America II, The line for the sigs was long and we were packed in so tight that it seemed like ten or more people were breathing the air I usually reserve for me. The one thing that kept me upright was the knowledge that if I passed out I would most not hit the floor…. Really it was that tight…

Other highlights…. Getting 20 George R.R. Martin books signed… Special thanks to Mollie for doing some CAW work for me, w/o much notice. You are the best.

Getting 6 Stan Lee books and 15 Superman Unchained #1 books signed (Most with 4 or 5 signatures)

One of the frustrating at things at the was that the exhibitor badges (I had one) made it very difficult or down right excluded you from purchasing exclusives, and in the case of DC Comics kept you from getting signatures.

The vendors were told that anyone with an exhibitor badge could not line up prior to the doors opening (I was told be several, that I could not line up prior to a ½ hour after the doors were open. The justification was that FANS deserve the first shot at exclusives…

I understand that the issue with DC excluding exhibitors from getting signatures was caused by a specific facilitator’s behavior during a show prior to SDCC. I guess Jim Lee placed a ban on all CGC SS for exhibitors at the DC booth, apparently he’s had enough of that… doh!

Thanks Ryan for the assist in getting Jim Lee’s sig anyway

Steve,

I had a blast hanging out with you, Rich, RMA, Brian, JJ, and the whole "CGC west" crew. Thanks to you and especially Rich for letting Doug, Cody, James, Scott, and I have a place to call home on the floor. You guys rock.

Seconded :D The con was a blast and having a home on the floor was great :D

Looks like we will all be at Baltimore in a month.

Interesting thread.

If I was one to look at a business and try and evaluate it's situation, I would say that CGC was at a point where it is so overwhelmed with the amount of regular submissions and it's need to process them as expeditiously as it can, that the SS program seems to be an afterthought.

Under those conditions, how would a company end up dealing with it? How do other companies handle situations like this? I have some theories, about where it's headed, and what I think will happen, but...

Interesting thread.

If I was one to look at a business and try and evaluate it's situation, I would say that CGC was at a point where it is so overwhelmed with the amount of regular submissions and it's need to process them as expeditiously as it can, that the SS program seems to be an afterthought.

Under those conditions, how would a company end up dealing with it? How do other companies handle situations like this? I have some theories, about where it's headed, and what I think will happen, but...

SS has a better margin.

Interesting thread.

SS has a better margin.

even with the additional overhead?

Interesting thread.

SS has a better margin.

even with the additional overhead?

If you are talking about CAW expenses, then yes. lol

So is the main story that exhibitors can no longer get books signed at DC Comic's booths?

solid question

Do we really need to add salt to a gushing wound?

Lets be adults here and move on. The relationship between CGC and DC can be handled internally by Paul, Shaw and Mike.

This isn't the first or last time a facilitator has screwed up.

But calling the person or persons out like this would only make matters worse in the long run.

Do we really need to add salt to a gushing wound?

Lets be adults here and move on. The relationship between CGC and DC can be handled internally by Paul, Shaw and Mike.

This isn't the first or last time a facilitator has screwed up.

But calling the person or persons out like this would only make matters worse in the long run.

I think that someone repeating the same mistakes because they haven't been told explicitly what not to do would be even worse in the short and long run.

And maybe its something that seems obvious, but obviously its not obvious enough to everyone or it wouldn't have happened.

DC is not allowing exhibitors to get wristbands for autos. 1 facilitator was mentioned as the cause.

Anyone who loves SS would not even consider dropping this matter.

In the past week I have had 1 major collector tell me he is done. Selling all his SS books, as he believes CGC does not take this seriously. That is 1 person I sell books to that is now gone. 1 person who submits through facilitators that is now gone. And this person (if they choose to step forward) enjoys SS more then most. That's sad.

No one has to take action, but eventually they will be forced to. These 'stories' that are alluded to are out there and when companies like DC take notice and change their policy, it is only a matter of time before everyone is affected.

And just to be clear. The DC story was told to me directly from the DC Booth manager.

As always, working together would be the best situation but it absolutely beyond repair when things like this happen as a sole instance.

Look the other way on the problems and it will eventually catch up with you. Deal with it and heal and maybe this little program of ours stays on track or we can attempt to mend fences.

If its handled internally that is fine, but this just doesn't affect 1 facilitator or CGC, but all of us and we should be aware of what will be done to keep the program solid.

Trust me when I say, this is not going to go away. As Dre mentioned more and more info is coming out and others beyond our little chat board are taking notice.

I love SS, I love CGC, but there are many of us who have worked our tails off to build relationships with artists and publishers and that could and will start to dissolve if it is not FINALLY addressed, once and for all.

Lastly, not saying any Facilitaor needs to go away (that is not the point) but consequences should be placed upon those that impact us all. There is a specific SS Code of Conduct that is in place for a reason. To not follow it impacts us all.

Pivotal moment. Remember SDCC 2013, it might be and probably will be where the tide turned.

I am stepping back and reevaluating where I am spending my money. I want to believe that the people getting signatures for me are treating those signing with the respect and admiration that I would if I were there because ultimately, they are representing me.

+1

Well said. This is exactly where I am at. I do not want to spend my money with individuals who are not representing the hobby, and by extension me, with the appropriate respect and behavior.

+ many more I suspect, but definitely me. I spend a lot of money with CGC every year either directly or indirectly and if the integrity or the authenticity of my SS books all of a sudden is put to question I can start spending it elsewhere for sure.

Hang on slim. Nobody is saying anything about the integrity of the books. The problem is limited to the effect that certain people's action may or may not be having on creators and publishers. It's not that the books are any less legitimate.

Umm...I beg to differ that there isn't a 'potential' problem with the integrity of the books.

Bad behavior by a facilitator doesn't just show itself in one way. If someone is rude to others, do they also lie (such as telling people that other facilitators cost more to get a person's business)? If a person lies, do they accept books that weren't actually witnessed by them (such as accepting a book and asking the person what day the books were signed)?

FYI - The items above in parentheses aren't things that have actually happened.....or are they? Hmmmm :gossip: