• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

my SDCC review

264 posts in this topic

It is not a DWC problem. It is an endemic problem. From Al Plastino being upset because of Blackstar's pricing, to DC making its decision at SD, to creators like Mike Dringenberg being so jaded about Ebay slabs that he Sadfanned up books at ECCC.

I just read the WHOLE Sadfann thread. Was there ever any resolution between Mike, Sean and Jake?

Not really. I know that Felix and Dringenberg's art rep were both great in trying to do something, but at the end of the day, what I was offered was that he would obliterate the "For Ebay" and personalize "For Sean." I was not offered an apology or a sketch fix or anything like that, so I said screw it and (hopefully politely) declined.

McKean and Kieth have both added their awesomeness to the book, and MSchmidt provided me with an unsullied Dringenberg sig as well, because he is awesome like that. All told, it ended up being fine. We all had some laughs, and that book is now at least as famous as the Stan Lee cockroach book!

This whole thread explains something I was very confused about during my first time at SDCC this last week.

I'm fairly new to the SS game and cons in general (this was only my second real con). Based on tips here, I've always windowed most all of my books for sigs unless they are clear reader copies - regardless of whether I submit them or not - helps protect them and keep the sigs in an area I think looks nice.

This SDCC I waited in line for Jim Lee sigs and had all my books windowed, and when I put them down with a big smile on my face (I was super excited to meet him and have him sign them), he wouldn't even make eye contact with me - signed and passed them down the line.

I was disheartened and guessed that he was just really tired from the con. The thought did cross my mind that he might think I was going to turn around and just sell them for profit, but I figured my personal demeanor would have more of an impact on that judgement than the care which I took with my books.

Now though, I'm pretty confident it was the latter, which makes me sad, cause I have no intention of flipping the books. I can't rule out having to sell them someday, but for now, I just wanted to add 5 sweet books of his to my collection with sigs.

Makes me sad that me getting sigs with windowed books probably got him annoyed in that moment and heightened his personal "cynic meter" - especially since I'm such a huge fan of his :sorry:

And that is the sad thing for collectors and artists alike. We are profiled. They see a window bag and assume that it is for resale never thinking that the fan who collects CGC SS is standing right in front of them. For the books to sell someone must buy them. It could be me and today I am here to get my book signed by one of my favorite artists and because I want it graded I am a bad guy.

Not only did you miss out on a great experience with Jim Lee he missed out on one with you.

Some how the artist need to be educated on CGC SS. Not just that but they need to realize that not all fans can make it to a show and should not be excluded from having a book they Know is signed by their favorite artist.

So does anyone want to know what I think on the matter?

Or should I just sit back and continue to watch everyone beat around the "burning bush"?

:popcorn:

First off, I don't do much sig series, but I do travel to many shows and have gotten to know many creators, publishers, and reps. I have also gotten to witness firsthand that there is a growing issue on the behavior of certain facilitators/caws at shows.

I found myself apologizing not once, but twice for the behavior of one certain individual on Wednesday at SDCC. The first right after the outburst, and the second as I was walking out the door Sunday evening. I felt the behavior reflected so poorly on me due my association as a CGC Dealer. I was so embarrassed I never returned to the publisher's booth all weekend and missed out on signings for myself. I was told not to worry, that I was still good, but I was embarrassed still & pissed to be put in that position.

There is no coincidence that we are seeing more and more creators ask for money for sigs and/or private signings. They are getting sick of seeing stacks of books and the aggressiveness on the lines at cons. If you can't get a sig done don't stand there and thump your chest proclaiming "Do you know who I am, and do you know how much business I bring you!?"

Here's the point - At the end of the day we are all in the business of making money and providing a product for our customers - but don't forget your reputation is tantamount to your business' success. Also be aware that your actions as a CGC Dealer/Facilitator also reflect on CGC, and all the Dealers/Facilitators. You're causing nothing but chaos for all the others doing business because you/you're acting like a kid in a candy store that can't have all the candy.

Also - If you can't handle the load of books you bring to the show, or don't have enough resources to deliver what you promise then don't take in that many submissions and stress the creators out. Also don't cut corners or bully other facilitators.

I ran into a situation Sunday afternoon with a drunk con-goer spilling water on a table near where I was getting books signed. I lost an hour of time double checking my books and re-bagging them. Because of that I missed out on the private signing with J. Scott Campbell. I approached him politely, he was aware of my situation, and he still signed some of my books. I didn't ask him to sign everything, I just told him I'd get rest done in Chicago and he appreciated that I valued his time with the rest of the fans.

Just my thoughts. At the end I think that signature series is being ruined by the actions of a few. Some of us have made genuine relations with industry individuals that now run the risk of falling apart and effect the way conduct day to day business as well. I've expressed my concerns over recent incidents with CGC directly and hopefully action is taken.

It is not a DWC problem. It is an endemic problem. From Al Plastino being upset because of Blackstar's pricing, to DC making its decision at SD, to creators like Mike Dringenberg being so jaded about Ebay slabs that he Sadfanned up books at ECCC.

I just read the WHOLE Sadfann thread. Was there ever any resolution between Mike, Sean and Jake?

Not really. I know that Felix and Dringenberg's art rep were both great in trying to do something, but at the end of the day, what I was offered was that he would obliterate the "For Ebay" and personalize "For Sean." I was not offered an apology or a sketch fix or anything like that, so I said screw it and (hopefully politely) declined.

McKean and Kieth have both added their awesomeness to the book, and MSchmidt provided me with an unsullied Dringenberg sig as well, because he is awesome like that. All told, it ended up being fine. We all had some laughs, and that book is now at least as famous as the Stan Lee cockroach book!

What???

Stan Lee cockroach book! can you give hte back story??? I have no Idea what you are refering to!

What???

Stan Lee cockroach book! can you give hte back story??? I have no Idea what you are refering to!

Prepare for the power of the roach:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://boards.collectors-society.com/attachments/100184.jpg&imgrefurl=http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb%3Dshowflat%26Number%3D4092313&h=747&w=621&sz=109&tbnid=qe2OFmb93cadwM:&tbnh=114&tbnw=95&zoom=1&usg=__THPakc2JdnRdgYK033k3S_ZBDvU=&docid=083p-uwFHyTIFM&sa=X&ei=dDbwUc2hOIbS9gT90oCwCw&ved=0CFUQ9QEwBQ&dur=526

First off, I don't do much sig series, but I do travel to many shows and have gotten to know many creators, publishers, and reps. I have also gotten to witness firsthand that there is a growing issue on the behavior of certain facilitators/caws at shows.

I found myself apologizing not once, but twice for the behavior of one certain individual on Wednesday at SDCC. The first right after the outburst, and the second as I was walking out the door Sunday evening. I felt the behavior reflected so poorly on me due my association as a CGC Dealer. I was so embarrassed I never returned to the publisher's booth all weekend and missed out on signings for myself. I was told not to worry, that I was still good, but I was embarrassed still & pissed to be put in that position.

There is no coincidence that we are seeing more and more creators ask for money for sigs and/or private signings. They are getting sick of seeing stacks of books and the aggressiveness on the lines at cons. If you can't get a sig done don't stand there and thump your chest proclaiming "Do you know who I am, and do you know how much business I bring you!?"

Here's the point - At the end of the day we are all in the business of making money and providing a product for our customers - but don't forget your reputation is tantamount to your business' success. Also be aware that your actions as a CGC Dealer/Facilitator also reflect on CGC, and all the Dealers/Facilitators. You're causing nothing but chaos for all the others doing business because you/you're acting like a kid in a candy store that can't have all the candy.

Also - If you can't handle the load of books you bring to the show, or don't have enough resources to deliver what you promise then don't take in that many submissions and stress the creators out. Also don't cut corners or bully other facilitators.

I ran into a situation Sunday afternoon with a drunk con-goer spilling water on a table near where I was getting books signed. I lost an hour of time double checking my books and re-bagging them. Because of that I missed out on the private signing with J. Scott Campbell. I approached him politely, he was aware of my situation, and he still signed some of my books. I didn't ask him to sign everything, I just told him I'd get rest done in Chicago and he appreciated that I valued his time with the rest of the fans.

Just my thoughts. At the end I think that signature series is being ruined by the actions of a few. Some of us have made genuine relations with industry individuals that now run the risk of falling apart and effect the way conduct day to day business as well. I've expressed my concerns over recent incidents with CGC directly and hopefully action is taken.

:golfclap:

excellent points

When you say "behavior" here

I found myself apologizing not once, but twice for the behavior of one certain individual on Wednesday at SDCC.

was that behavior in this vein:

If you can't get a sig done don't stand there and thump your chest proclaiming "Do you know who I am, and do you know how much business I bring you!?"

?

I wasn't sure I read it right (and no I don't want you to name names or anything, but I do think specifying the behavior might help others to reflect on how their own actions might look to others...

What???

Prepare for the power of the roach:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://boards.collectors-society.com/attachments/100184.jpg&imgrefurl=http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb%3Dshowflat%26Number%3D4092313&h=747&w=621&sz=109&tbnid=qe2OFmb93cadwM:&tbnh=114&tbnw=95&zoom=1&usg=__THPakc2JdnRdgYK033k3S_ZBDvU=&docid=083p-uwFHyTIFM&sa=X&ei=dDbwUc2hOIbS9gT90oCwCw&ved=0CFUQ9QEwBQ&dur=526

:P With great power.... comes a cockroach... I bet that cost $50......

I found myself apologizing not once, but twice for the behavior of one certain individual on Wednesday at SDCC.

If you can't get a sig done don't stand there and thump your chest proclaiming "Do you know who I am, and do you know how much business I bring you!?"

?

I wasn't sure I read it right (and no I don't want you to name names or anything, but I do think specifying the behavior might help others to reflect on how their own actions might look to others...

seriously, I know everyone wants to not be called a hypocrite or feel like they're taking the high road by not explaining, but I feel like if more specific facts (no editorializing necessary) of what happened and what the reaction was by those involved at that time, that will help EVERYONE understand how not to act or not act in the future.

I know that I myself have given a comic to a stranger in line with me to have signed because of the limit, and I didn't really think anything of it (it was funny because he didn't speak English and it was hard for me to explain what I was asking in my broken French. And then even funnier because he didn't know who he was in line for, he was just in line for another one of his friends to get stuff signed for them.). Is this frowned upon? I can see why it would be if it is on a large and/or consistent basis, ESPECIALLY if it was people with 'dealer/exhibitor' badges doing it.

But this seems different than someone 'making a scene' about something, for which we have yet to hear a story.

Can't say it enough, but big huge thanks to all of the CGC crew who helped me out all weekend long. Special thanks to Luis from Heroes Haven out in Tampa that was working with CGC. I completely appreciate his patience to run around witnessing for me and for helping me get a couple extra signatures on my books that I hadn't accounted for. I just sorry I didn't get a chance to meet more boardies.

I gotta agree though, this was only the second time i've been to a con and really the first time i've submitted CGC SS books through CGC and not a facilitator. It was a bit disheartening that the moment I put a windowed book in front of some creators, it seemed as though their attitude changed. It's like they figured I was there to flip the book when in reality I really liked the book and wanted a SS book for my collection.

On the other hand though, there were many who were more than happy to sign my books. Bendis even commented that he appreciated that I was organized. Humberto Ramos & Edgar Delgado were great and fun to shoot the mess with. Sara Pichelli was a class act, signing my book as I got out of the Bendis line before she even got up to join Bendis. Ken Kristensen was great and happy to share in the excitement about the TV show.

I have the same question as Revat, is it frowned upon to give someone in line a book? I did the same on preview night. In my situation, it was the last guy in line and he only had one item. The following days I just made sure I got to the wristband line early so that I could get my own books signed. I can see how it would be frowned upon if I passed out a huge stack of books to several people in line.

I think if you are not making a scene or have a ton of books there is no problem asking people in line for a signature. 2c

I also experienced many creators who did not mind the window bags.

Paul Jenkins and I had a long talk about his new book Deathmatch.

David Schulner writer of Clone spoke to me about his post in the Clone thread on this very board.

The Superman artists only complaint was the bag covered where they wanted to sign and the book would not hold a signature well.

I think JJ has topic stickied to the top of the Signature Room about how to treat creators. We need to realize when we show up with a window bag we are not just representing ourselves but the whole community.

?

seriously, I know everyone wants to not be called a hypocrite or feel like they're taking the high road by not explaining, but I feel like if more specific facts (no editorializing necessary) of what happened and what the reaction was by those involved at that time, that will help EVERYONE understand how not to act or not act in the future.

I know that I myself have given a comic to a stranger in line with me to have signed because of the limit, and I didn't really think anything of it (it was funny because he didn't speak English and it was hard for me to explain what I was asking in my broken French. And then even funnier because he didn't know who he was in line for, he was just in line for another one of his friends to get stuff signed for them.). Is this frowned upon? I can see why it would be if it is on a large and/or consistent basis, ESPECIALLY if it was people with 'dealer/exhibitor' badges doing it.

But this seems different than someone 'making a scene' about something, for which we have yet to hear a story.

I think you handing your book to some stranger in line to get signed is your choice. You assume the risk of having the book damaged by the random person you've handed it to since that person may not know how the handle the book.

I've been asked to procure tickets or to stand in ticketed lines by facilitators to help them get their books done. If I'm able and I don't dislike the person I'll do it. We professionals extend each other common courtesies all the time. Also, they know I will handle the book as if they were my own being graded.

The problem I think comes in if a facilitator is in a situation where he has so many books to get done and there is a restriction that he doesn't have enough people in line to handle. Does he start handing out books to randoms in the line? How would the customer back home feel about the book being handled by some stranger? What if the book gets damaged? Who takes responsibility then? Or does the facilitator just say - "Oh well, the artist just handled it roughly".

?

I think you handing your book to some stranger in line to get signed is your choice. You assume the risk of having the book damaged by the random person you've handed it to since that person may not know how the handle the book.

I've been asked to procure tickets or to stand in ticketed lines by facilitators to help them get their books done. If I'm able and I don't dislike the person I'll do it. We professionals extend each other common courtesies all the time. Also, they know I will handle the book as if they were my own being graded.

The problem I think comes in if a facilitator is in a situation where he has so many books to get done and there is a restriction that he doesn't have enough people in line to handle. Does he start handing out books to randoms in the line? How would the customer back home feel about the book being handled by some stranger? What if the book gets damaged? Who takes responsibility then? Or does the facilitator just say - "Oh well, the artist just handled it roughly".

I appreciate that, and it makes sense, the way you do it sounds reasonable. But I think we're looking for more description of the 'straw that broke the camels back'. Preferably from an eye witness if at all possible, to avoid he said/she said, heresay, etc.

some facilitators only care about the buck. You can find lots of photos of books being handled improperly. Its not about service for them. Its dollars and egos

[font:Book Antiqua]DC has only 2 real commodities...

Jim Lee & Geoff Johns.

They want to play hard to get?

be my guest...

The only time that they were not second to Marvel

was the first year of the 52 ...

(And I am DC fan).[/font]

:whatev:

they aight, with Tony Daniel, Greg Capullo, Scott Snyder, Jeff Lemire, and David Finch. And to be fair, most people like/respect Jim Lee more than anyone at Marvel, so that's something.

And their problem is not with the comics so much as it is the Marvel movies getting MASSIVE exposure for their comics.

some facilitators only care about the buck. You can find lots of photos of books being handled improperly. Its not about service for them. Its dollars and egos

^^

And somehow honesty is a foreign concept. I always get a kick out of Neal Adams. He usually has a sign with a signature fee for books and a higher fee for books destined to CGC. I've been asked more than once why I am giving him so much money. I mention they are for CGC and his posted price. Last time his response to his cashier "I like this guy"

I take very few submissions from others for SS. I simply do not want to be held responsible for having to get them done. 99% of the time they are my books or a friend's who understands they may not get done.

Is this for CGC?

Yup

I don't sign for CGC

No problem. Mind sharing why?

Personally I'm a big fan of the little Heroes buckets I've seen lately. Big fan.