• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

my SDCC review

264 posts in this topic

What is so hard?

If there is a book limit and you cannot get your books done without causing a scene.......make a private signing!.......OFFER MONEY!!

Or pool forces with CGC and other facilitators. "Hey there is a one book limit for so and so.....can we set something up with him Mike Balent?"

If you cannot make a private signing or offer money------Then you dont get the books done.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me. ^^

One of the best ways to get your numbers is to contact Artists prior to the show and see if you can set something up OR to coincide it with OPPs. At MegaCon this year I had 100 books done and ready to be picked up before the show doors opened.

What is so hard?

If there is a book limit and you cannot get your books done without causing a scene.......make a private signing!.......OFFER MONEY!!

Or pool forces with CGC and other facilitators. "Hey there is a one book limit for so and so.....can we set something up with him Mike Balent?"

If you cannot make a private signing or offer money------Then you dont get the books done.

Yes, I will not condone this behavior towards giving a bad name to the CGC program.

But it is not always about money or greed.

But what if this all of the sudden limit causes the Facilitator to not get the 200 book limit for the witness? How would this be handled?

good question homie. that's the risk you run. I mean the same could happen with a top artist/celeb calling sick and canceling an appearance at the last second. There are million other industries/jobs/hobbies to have or be in, they chose CGC SS, and they all have associated risk.

So as the old saying goes... sucks bro.

then for the yellow labels you cracked in front of the witness to add sigs to, who pays to have those regraded? the person who sent them to the Facilitator? just curious.

another GREAT question. IF i'm a facilitator, I have that worked out ahead of time and in the agreement and terms, so there's no dispute. It's not the most unforeseeable thing in the world for a creator/celeb to cancel or implement a book limit mid con. But barring something pre-arranged, I think the facilitator is in the lurch for the comic if they already cracked it. If you can't get a signature done, you owe the comic back to the person in the condition you received it in.

Being in the CGC SS business isn't for everyone. And knowing your limits is a smart part of being in any industry.

Why should that cost be on the facilitator? So they are going to build that risk into the pricing and raise prices across the Board? That's tough. It could just as easily be considered part of the risk of SS. Like grade drops. I know that is how I look at it.

I think we misunderstood JDub s question.

Was he asking why charge a slab cracking fee? Or simply who's paying for the regrading fee once a book is slabbed and sent to cgc?

if the book was cracked in front of the CAW, but the artists cut off signing for the con. The book needs to be placed back into a yellow label. Who should pay?

if the book was cracked in front of the CAW, but the artists cut off signing for the con. The book needs to be placed back into a yellow label. Who should pay?

The person cracking the slab should pay. Like was stated earlier, you are responsible for getting the book back to the customer in a slab. Notice I didn't mention the same grade because it is not always possible. But if you receive a slab, crack the slab, and don't get the book signed and sent to CGC, you owe the customer the book in a slab, not just return the raw book to them. Especially if it had been a SS book, because it would go from yellow to green label, right?

The person cracking the slab should pay. Like was stated earlier, you are responsible for getting the book back to the customer in a slab. Notice I didn't mention the same grade because it is not always possible. But if you receive a slab, crack the slab, and don't get the book signed and sent to CGC, you owe the customer the book in a slab, not just return the raw book to them. Especially if it had been a SS book, because it would go from yellow to green label, right?

I see both sides. I see it as my risk going in that it may not get done. But the other side, not my fault it was cracked.

NO, this did not happen to me.

Just curious about public opinion on how to handle the situation.

I told my customers when I took their slabs to get signed that if I was not able to obtain the signatures I would pay to have the book re-slabbed. I offered a service and if I could not fulfill my obligations why should the customer suffer? They are already out the shipping to me.

Side note... It was great to meet and hang out with some of the other great board members.

What is so hard?

This seems to complicated. I would just ask myself aloud, "What would DWC do in such a situation?" Then I would just do the opposite.

:insane:

What is so hard?

This seems to complicated. I would just ask myself aloud, "What would DWC do in such a situation?" Then I would just do the opposite.

:insane:

How about rather than devolving this into an argument laden thread everyone pool their thought on how to improve the program so things like this don't happen anymore? One thing that might help is if when a facilitator is unable to get some of the subs they've taken on done that whoever the books belong to doesn't throw a hissy fit and waits patiently for the next opportunity to have them signed. There's a distinct lack of patience in many ways from a considerable number of people that sub books for SS. If it takes a facilitator a little time to get back to you maybe it's because there's more things going on in the world other than just them trying to get your books signed. Facilitators do us (the SS community) a huge service I see a considerable number of posts and threads that pretty much come across as their efforts being taken for granted. Granted, when you boil it down to it's essence, it is a business transaction. As such there should be at least a certain level of professional decorum on the part of both parties involved in said transaction.

Another idea would be that if a facilitator takes in more than X amount of submissions for a creator, they make arrangements to get them signed before or after the regular convention hours. Maybe some of them do this already, I don't know. Clearly there's quite a few creators out there that don't understand exactly what SS is all about and how it works and explaining to them that the stack of 50 books you're wanting to get signed are for fans that couldn't attend the show themselves and aren't going to be flipped on ebay (or wherever) would, I imagine, help considerably in promoting the image of the program.

I'm done with the rantrant for now. I'm just gonna sit back now and await the sarcastic remarks and derision that I'm sure are coming.

ok, so let me understand this LS. Instead of just banning terrible facilitators who over and over cause problems with creators for SS, we should all come up with ideas and solutions to make the program better?

Here's my solution, ban the big one and things will clear up quickly.

Apologize much?

ok, so let me understand this LS. Instead of just banning terrible facilitators who over and over cause problems with creators for SS, we should all come up with ideas and solutions to make the program better?

Apologize much?

What do you think the odds are of CGC banning a facilitator that brings in a considerable amount of submissions year round? I'm guessing zero or less hence the suggestion of revising to program to improve it.

I don't recall apologizing for anything, particularly since there's nothing for me to apologize for so I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean.

Apologize much?

What do you think the odds are of CGC banning a facilitator that brings in a considerable amount of submissions year round? I'm guessing zero or less hence the suggestion of revising to program to improve it.

I don't recall apologizing for anything, particularly since there's nothing for me to apologize for so I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean.

So let's not ban a facilitator who brings in a considerable amount of submissions just because of constant reckless behavior? So revenue > than behavior? Even though it's causing havoc within the SS program and against the CGC brand name?

Rather than stopping behavior we should have a "Kumbaya" moment around the campfire? Maybe have a couple of beers, sing some songs? Figure out how to make the program better around the facilitator, since there is nothing that can be done anyway?

Apologize much?

So let's not ban a facilitator who brings in a considerable amount of submissions just because of constant reckless behavior? So revenue > than behavior? Even though it's causing havoc within the SS program and against the CGC brand name?

Rather than stopping behavior we should have a "Kumbaya" moment around the campfire? Maybe have a couple of beers, sing some songs? Figure out how to make the program better around the facilitator, since there is nothing that can be done anyway?

Guess it's true, money makes the world go 'round... and causes ethics to mean less than zero.