• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Fraud #15 ?

628 posts in this topic

Do you have passion4comics on ignore?

I believe the ignore feature to be for people with overly-fragile egos with the exception of those who use it to ignore users who are repeatedly harassing them, so no. I have nobody on ignore. I mentally ignore the small handful of arrogant or combative fools around here by simply not reading their posts, and I have no reason to think passion4comics a fool. Which post are you referring to of his?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=307443&Number=6885211#Post6885211

Since I responded to that post and quoted it, it should be pretty clear that I don't have him on ignore. Did you have a comment or question about my reply?

I dunno. I guess I'm wondering why you need more info than what he gave you. Like Erndog said, it's plain as day what is going on, you don't need to know Wally or to have ever seen him post that book. It doesn't seem that obvious to Ebay I guess, but you seem to be repeating "there's not enough evidence" when there is plenty of evidence. He advertises an original Af # 15 and then buried in the small print he says it's a reprint. What more do you need than that?

I dunno. I guess I'm wondering why you need more info than what he gave you. Like Erndog said, it's plain as day what is going on, you don't need to know Wally or to have ever seen him post that book. It doesn't seem that obvious to Ebay I guess, but you seem to be repeating "there's not enough evidence" when there is plenty of evidence. He advertises an original Af # 15 and then buried in the small print he says it's a reprint. What more do you need than that?

I'll repeat what I said before, but go over it more thoroughly. I've included the pic again below for reference. Nothing in the picture indicates it to be an original because the guy running the auction edited out the only bit from Wally's picture that marked it as an original, i.e. the CGC label. I know it's an original, and you know it's an original--but that's because we know Wally and we know he owns that Amazing Fantasy 15. And I know it because I saw that unedited picture years ago when Wally first posted it after he landed that gem. Ebay has not seen that unedited picture that I'm aware of, so there is no evidence that the Amazing Fantasy 15 in that picture is original. It could be a reprint.

If Wally sent them the original, unedited picture, that would probably be enough for them since the scammer's editing job was fairly crude with that little voice box covering up the slab label. He was more clever than you appear to realize in covering up the slab label. What he DIDN'T realize was that so many of us here knew Wally, or that Wally had posted that picture in these forums.

$T2eC16h,!ykE9s7tye9FBR7IEVkJTw~~60_3.JPG

I'll repeat what I said before, but go over it more thoroughly. I've included the pic again below for reference. Nothing in the picture indicates it to be an original because the guy running the auction edited out the only bit from Wally's picture that marked it as an original, i.e. the CGC label. I know it's an original, and you know it's an original--but that's because we know Wally and we know he owns that Amazing Fantasy 15. And I know it because I saw that unedited picture years ago when Wally first posted it after he landed that gem. Ebay has not seen that unedited picture that I'm aware of, so there is no evidence that the Amazing Fantasy 15 in that picture is original. It could be a reprint.

I guess we just view the evidence differently, and I see all the Wally stuff as irrelevant. He lists it as an original copy of AF # 15. The title says "Aug 1962" and in the detailed item info it says "Publication Date Aug 1962 ". That's enough right there.

In my case the seller had multiple e-bay accounts and never shipped the product. I went through e-bay, but this was before they required tracking information, and they wouldn't do anything about it. I contacted the police in the sellers home town, and gave them my evidence, cancelled check, print out of the e-bay auction, etc.

The seller had pulled the scam on a number of people, he was arrested and convicted. I requested his accounts be closed on e-bay, they closed some, but wouldn't close them all. Some are still active though there hasn't been any activity since he was convicted.

Account 1

Account 2

I suggest someone snipe it at a huge price without warning so the guy can't block you.

Then leave him a neg for selling a reprint.

I suggest someone snipe it at a huge price without warning so the guy can't block you.

That's what I was thinking.. Maybe a few of us can do some last minute bids to bring up the price so that he would pay a large amount of ebay fees with the negative feedback.. Of course, this has to be talked through in PM's instead of in public so the seller won't pinpoint who it is.

My problem with e-bay is the amount of evidence they require to do something is extremely high. I've been ripped off on e-bay, and the evidence was great enough to have the guy convicted in a court of law, but it wasn't enough to have him removed from e-bay.

What was the evidence?

All I can really say is when people think they have plenty of evidence, when I've reviewed it, the great majority of the time, they're wrong. That doesn't mean I think you were wrong, just that typically people don't have enough evidence, yet they think they do. (shrug)

does anyone know how to send a pic to ebay as proof?

124586.jpg

I believe the ignore feature to be for people with overly-fragile egos with the exception of those who use it to ignore users who are repeatedly harassing them, so no. I have nobody on ignore. I mentally ignore the small handful of arrogant or combative fools around here by simply not reading their posts, and I have no reason to think passion4comics a fool. Which post are you referring to of his?

Wait, what? What did I do? :/ I called EBay so someone wouldn't get ripped off...

EBay poofs the auctions now. A few like this have just vanished well after they were over. They don't want people doing searches and getting a feeling that there are scammers on EBay.

Wait, what? What did I do? :/ I called EBay so someone wouldn't get ripped off...

Only good things. :foryou:

As a collector of cards and comics for 35 years I've rubbed elbows with some fine folks(that's most collectors) and some scum of the earth types(the few and far between, but, more now than ever). So I like the threads on here and Collectors Universe for cards. Especially cool because I do not use eBay currently, with zero plans to. 08 and 09 were more than enough for this dude.

Would an experienced buyer/collector be duped in ? Nope, not a chance. Inexperienced sucker? Yep. The whole first paragraph about the book in question is a lie. It gives the impression that the book IS the one in the photo. With short attention spans the norm, the hook is set.

You have to read the equivalent of War and Peace to find out , oops, sorry, this is a reprint.

Scum seller. On a scum site that promotes fraud and fraudulent activity on a daily basis. Nothing shocking there.

It is however nice to see there are folks here (and when issues arise like this with cards over on CU) who will actually look to protect the integrity of the hobby.

A near impossible task, considering the eBay criminal element in charge and uncaring attitude.

My problem with e-bay is the amount of evidence they require to do something is extremely high. I've been ripped off on e-bay, and the evidence was great enough to have the guy convicted in a court of law, but it wasn't enough to have him removed from e-bay.

What was the evidence?

All I can really say is when people think they have plenty of evidence, when I've reviewed it, the great majority of the time, they're wrong. That doesn't mean I think you were wrong, just that typically people don't have enough evidence, yet they think they do. (shrug)

does anyone know how to send a pic to ebay as proof?

124586.jpg

Hmm, I don't know. I just reported the item and didn't see anyplace to type text--all it appears to let you do is select items from a dropdown list. hm

...so I created a post about this on the ebay comic message boards. Basically copied and pasted some info from this thread.

My post was removed by an eBay moderator. :(

Here is the pm I received regarding this.

Hi ucleben,

Thank you for contributing to the eBay Community. Please be advised that your post "superkop10 is a scammer" has been removed due to violation of the following eBay Community Discussion Boards Usage Policy guideline:

Not allowed: Posting information about member or listing violations (Instead, please review our policies and report the violation by contacting us)

Your reply, in which you said "Oh yeah, item # is 231019679403," has also been removed for violation of the above-mentioned guideline in addition to the following:

Restricted: You can generally advertise an eBay listing that is directly related in benefiting a community project, but you can't post the item number or a link to the listing.

For more information on eBay Community policies, please see the Community Resources page. Thank you for helping to keep the community a friendly, productive environment for all members.

xxxx-DM

If someone's going to do this right, they need to place a big bid and not talk about it in this thread.

tried that one earlier, he cancelled the bid, so I went to the Ebay subreddit and posted it there asking the people that go on that site to report him as well. tried with another account to get to be high bidder, he just cancelled that one as well

There have been enough red flags waived on this item. If Ebay truly cared about their "community" they would pull the plug and have much better parameters in place by banning scammers and preventing these scum from initiating new accounts. I know the trash heap that burned me about a decade ago had at least 4 accounts. Still stings when I think about it, then anger sets in. It's good there are so many on these boards that police this kind of thing. It's just unfortunate that some poor/clueless person could end up with a big dollar repro and a migraine headache of red tape to try to recoup the loss. Ebay and their damage/image control of hush don't tell on the boards is shrewd. I started selling again on there within the last year, but when they allow this to happen repeatedly, I decided to pull the plug on selling, big fees and weak support all around.