• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Closet Collectors?

52 posts in this topic

My friends know I collect. One even commented that he has a run of X-Men from 140 to 200 stored away and would like to have the Byrne/Claremont run but is not actively pursuing those issues right now. He does not consider himself a collector though. As far as my family and co-workers go....they just smile and nod. Whenever the issue of money pops up they get this stunned look on their faces. You can see the thought shooting through their minds, "That person spent how much!?!"

The funniest part is when someone finds a stack of comics, brings them to me and asks what they are worth. I know they want to hear me say thousands of dollars but that has not been the case.

I keep it close to the vest. I'm a dork. I'll fully admit it amongst fellow dorks. On top of collecting comics, I used to play online games heavily, I program for a living...etc, etc.

But I tend to keep most of that wrapped up, it gets in the way of my second life as a male model and international man of mystery.

I keep it close to the vest. I'm a dork. I'll fully admit it amongst fellow dorks. On top of collecting comics, I used to play online games heavily, I program for a living...etc, etc.

But I tend to keep most of that wrapped up, it gets in the way of my second life as a male model and international man of mystery.

sign-funnypost.gif

and i thought i was the only one with that problem............ grin.gif

and OG, that "Wheels are in Motion" tee shirt is a real Babe magnet.........

I don't go out of my way to talk about it, but that's just because it dosen't even come to mind when I'm talking with "non-collectors". Most of my friends have an idea that I collect, but none of them seem to think twice about it, or bring it up. All my ex girlfriends knew, and they also either didn't seem to care, or were actually intrigued by it and would ask questions. But I've never heard a negative comment, or even recieved a weird look, but I guess that's because I'm well-rounded in my interests, and don't obsess on any one activity.

In my experience, people are usually turned off by obsession itself, not the object of the obsession. I was an active kickboxer in my late teens, and I was so into it that it became the topic of conversation on a regular basis. That's the only time people ever looked at me funny (screwy.gif) because of one of my interests.

If you are well-rounded in general, I don't see why people would even care. But if you're 40lbs over weight, dress in a skin tight Spider-Man outfit, and stand in line 2 days early to get tickets for Spidey 2.......

As far as my family and co-workers go....they just smile and nod. Whenever the issue of money pops up they get this stunned look on their faces. You can see the thought shooting through their minds, "That person spent how much!?!"

Yeah, my family thinks I am insane when it comes to my collecting comics. insane.gif

As far as my family and co-workers go....they just smile and nod. Whenever the issue of money pops up they get this stunned look on their faces. You can see the thought shooting through their minds, "That person spent how much!?!"

Yeah, my family thinks I am insane when it comes to my collecting comics. insane.gif

It's not the comics gossip.gif

What's interesting about the hobby is that it becomes an addiction after a while. Up until last year, my most expensive comic book was an A.S.M. #300 in VF+ shape. I had a collection of about 2,500 books (mostly modern) and mid grade bronze. After discovering EBay I decided to spend about $3,000 to $5,000 to purchase some key SA books in mid grade (to round out my collection). Pretty soon I got caught up in the CGC frenzy and started buying high grade issues. Then I decided to purchase both X-Men #1 and A.S.M #1 in VF grade (since I always wanted these books) and that's it. However, after a month I ended my hyetus and started buying Batman and Superman CGC graded GA books. Then, I noticed the good girl art covers by Schomburg and Kamen, so I started collecting those books, etc., etc., etc.. After it was all said and done, I currently I own about 350 CGC graded books (GA, SA, BA, MA) with an overstreet value of more than $100,000. I still haven't even told any of my family members (I'm not married) how much I've spent thus far. Currently, the NM designation for me means that I have "No Money" left to purchase additional books. All I know is that from now on if I do decide to collect a new title or genre, I'll sell some of my other books first. Anyone looking for low and mid-grade bronze age Avengers books (just kidding)? Currently, these are the only books I'm willing to get rid of, in addition to my Alf # 3, Kickers, Inc. #10 and my entire Malibu and Defiant comic book collections. cool.gif

By the way does anyone know whether a CBCA (Comic Book Collecting Anonymous) exists to get me over my addiction??!!

Another moment from my 5 year old......yesterday he secretly wore his spiderman costume to school under his uniform. He asks the teacher if he can go to the toilet, goes into the changeroom gets his mask from his bag and transforms himself into spider-man and charges back into the classroom ready to save the world. After another visit to the headmaster by my wife it is safe to assume that everybody knows my family is into comics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not the comics gossip.gif

foreheadslap.gif

Another moment from my 5 year old......yesterday he secretly wore his spiderman costume to school under his uniform. He asks the teacher if he can go to the toilet, goes into the changeroom gets his mask from his bag and transforms himself into spider-man and charges back into the classroom ready to save the world. After another visit to the headmaster by my wife it is safe to assume that everybody knows my family is into comics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Classic story! I love it.

I came "out of the closet" as far as collecting comics sometime after I started on ebay. It would be kind of hard to not acknowledge it when I have a package or so arriving every month.

My wife outted me to friends along the way, but unless someonje else brings it up I rarely talk about it.

I am sure when we start selling and bringing back some $$ my wife will be more accepting of the investment I have made over the years.

589a8d2d6529f_601587-ALLGREATCOMICS1.jpg.1d21d6228c26746f8457d7b35f7140fb.jpg

2. I never care what people think about my comic collecting. I don't hid it, but I don't wear a "The wheels are in motion." t-shirt either.

I wore it on Sunday to the Baltimore Comic Con - the CGC guys got a laugh out of it. I usually wear it out for fine dining events, black tie affairs, and such. People find it quite spiffy. tongue.gif

My two best buds are into the hobby as well, so i get to see three times as many comics if i were collecting by myself....also keeps things interesting i think. Once in awhile we'll talk comics with other friends, most of which who collected at some point in their lives, we've unearthed alot of spawn runs and todd mcfarlane spiderman runs this way. grin.gif

2. I never care what people think about my comic collecting. I don't hid it, but I don't wear a "The wheels are in motion." t-shirt either.

I wore it on Sunday to the Baltimore Comic Con - the CGC guys got a laugh out of it. I usually wear it out for fine dining events, black tie affairs, and such. People find it quite spiffy. tongue.gif

At least you don't make Logan wear geek t-shirts......oh, just read your con report, never mind......... insane.gif

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.