• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The umpire is calling strikes..................

5,775 posts in this topic

4 - Aggressive post - pretty much calling the other person crazy or unintelligent although perhaps in long wordy ways that attempt to mask it, or explaining how much more intelligent and righteous you are - note that this isn't about comparing facts, it's about the attitude invested in the word choice. This kind of post can exist with or without fact comparison. It can be woven right into rational arguments or laced into a refusal to make sense.

Aggressive posts. :cloud9:

Happy birthday!! :applause:

What if I get aggressive with myself and then hump the button? Will I get a strike for being a to myself?

4 - Aggressive post - pretty much calling the other person crazy or unintelligent although perhaps in long wordy ways that attempt to mask it, or explaining how much more intelligent and righteous you are - note that this isn't about comparing facts, it's about the attitude invested in the word choice. This kind of post can exist with or without fact comparison. It can be woven right into rational arguments or laced into a refusal to make sense.

What if I get aggressive with myself and then hump the button? Will I get a strike for being a to myself?

2lmtpqx.gif

:blahblah::blahblah:

THIS? is how you decided to spend your birthday? You have issues.

ooh, sounds like a # 3 to me.

Your opinion smells like #2.

Zing! 5 points

Zing Point Challenge

Trannypants +5

Ask Park.

:blahblah::blahblah:

THIS? is how you decided to spend your birthday? You have issues.

ooh, sounds like a # 3 to me.

Your opinion smells like #2.

Zing! 5 points

Zing Point Challenge

Trannypants +5

:acclaim:

Say the scale looks like this:

As has been demonstrated throughout the course of human history, and, indeed, on these very boards on a daily basis, the entire argument rests on the premise that what one sees is actually what someone else said.

As I've said before, many times, and in many places, people have misinterpreted (deliberately or not) what others have said, and more particularly, the way they have said it, and been offended or seen offense when no offense was intended, implied, nor should have been inferred.

This applies to all people. Everyone is guilty of this; me, Roy, Tranny, and yes, Arch and the moderation team. To pretend that people don't make judgment errors is to deny the reality of human interaction.

And, of course, the very fact that someone challenges someone else's opinions can, and frequently IS, perceived as "#4", when it's nothing but #1. But challenge is the very heart of engaging discussion, and without it, the boards would be nothing but a very timid exchange of carefully guarded statements, or dry dissertations with no opportunity for rebuttal. And, of course, the challenge must always be about the topic, not the poster.

It is incumbent, then, upon people in positions of authority to use discernment to a standard far, far higher than the average member, and not rush to erroneous judgment, for whatever reason; personal animus, "patterns of behavior", perspective about the nature of the offense, or "offense", etc.

And while I know that it is not politically expedient, it always strengthens authority to publicly admit and resolve past errors in judgment, rather than ignoring them and brushing them aside (thus, dismissing the person with the issue.) These things need to be brought out into the open, and resolved, rather than letting them fester like an unlanced boil. Then, and only then, can real healing happen.

Without that, everything after necessarily fails, regardless of how well-reasoned it may sound, and be. If the foundation is infirm, anything built upon it is likewise.

In the end, however, words don't mean much, if anything. It is actions that put the truth, or the lie, to what is said. The fruits, as always, tell the real story.

It's, as ever, a fascinating discussion. It is nice to see so many willing to add their support. It's always nice to have people support you, regardless of your position.

I think this is the first time I've seen a wall of text that was posted on the boards that was well reasoned, articulate, germane, and dispassionate. Thanks for posting this Arch.

Hyperbole is the least used figure of speech around.

;)

By the way....I fully understand that people disagree, but permanently banning people is never the right answer, for anyone.

The answer is always increasing terms of "time out", but always with the hope that one may rejoin the community at some point...even if that point is years out, like with "GIJOEISAWESOME"

Those with an inveterate agenda will drift off and look elsewhere for their gratification, while those with a genuine desire to be a positive, contributing member of the community will self-modify. It's human nature at work.

As has been demonstrated by Stu and others, a genuine ban is not really possible (though it certainly does drive them into shadows), and never actually solves the underlying issues.

For those who think and campaign that people should be banned: you must ask yourself why. Almost always, it's from a desire for revenge for slights, real or imagined, which is always bad. Vengeance never solves anything.

This applies to all people. Everyone is guilty of this; me, Roy, Tranny, and yes, Arch and the moderation team. To pretend that people don't make judgment errors is to deny the reality of human interaction.

I am offended at the notion that I would ever unintentionally misunderstand or mischaracterize anyone's post.

• Administrator

You will be referred to a therapist.

I am offended at the notion that I would ever unintentionally misunderstand or mischaracterize anyone's post.

Me too. I'm offended for you.

Offenses, all around!

:sumo:

You will be referred to a therapist.

That's a # 1 :baiting: