• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The umpire is calling strikes..................

5,775 posts in this topic

On rare occasion, while arguing opinions, the parties decide to "agree to disagree"

I say that qualifies as a win for both.

I've found it can be frustrating to have a discussion and attempt to convince another that my position is correct and their view is wrong, with the intent of them yielding at that moment.

However, if I'm able to submit my thoughts with reasoned experience and good judgement in a diplomatic way and leave it at that, I'm usually satisfied with the eventual result. The keyword is eventual.

In discussions with people in the past, I've stated a viewpoint or suggestion without demand for immediate agreement, and in later interactions they've offered corresponding ideas. I'm sure my friends, teachers and mentors have experienced the same with me.

The trick for me during those times when I'm grounded and able, is to be patient and open-minded. I need to keep my ego out of it; that desire to be viewed as right in the moment. Oh, and later on, avoiding the vain need to say "I told you so" or "I'm the one that gave you that idea, remember?"

I'd be much happier if I followed this process more often.

I have never used the notify button. :acclaim:

If memory serves, I've used it twice. Once, late at night, an extremely offensive and vulgar post, with pictures, was made targeting one of our female members. It may have been a shill, I don't remember, but it was definitely warranted. I even posted in the thread that I notified the mods.

The other one I don't exactly remember, but it was in a similar vein.

Whoever it is that thinks it's necessary to hit the notify button on my posts, please stop.

Thank you.

lol

Some people get their 15 minutes of fame through the notify button. I still think it shouldn't be anonymous.

I have never used the notify button. :acclaim:

No, you just decapitate your enemies with your axe. :eek:

Or emasculates them with what his dog thinks of their posts.

PS. It was nice chatting with you for a few minutes at Baltimore. I know that time is really valuable for you (as it is for me), so I appreciated it.

:)

Good to see you too! (thumbs u

Can you really win an argument on the internet?

Often no, but it's not always about winning. Sometimes is about just getting your thoughts out there and leaving it at that.

Even if the person that you're discussing with doesn't agree, there are always plenty of lurkers who either might, or they might learn something from the discussion.

As it goes with collecting, sometimes it's not about the destination but more about the journey.

I hump when I'm feeling lonely on a Saturday night

Do the Mods respect you in the morning?

I don't know. I never hear from them again :cry:

Ahh, the ol' Hump-N-Dump.

Can you really win an argument on the internet?

Often no, but it's not always about winning. Sometimes is about just getting your thoughts out there and leaving it at that.

Even if the person that you're discussing with doesn't agree, there are always plenty of lurkers who either might, or they might learn something from the discussion.

It's never *really* about winning, because there's no such thing. It's not a contest, with clearly defined rules and outcomes. One can make the most brilliant, logical, rational, airtight defense of a position, any position...and others will resist, for all sorts of reasons. After all, the only mind you can change is your own.

It's always about persuasion; not persuading the "opponent", but rather, everyone else watching. That's the real worthwhile goal (which is why "take it to PMs" comments are pointless. That misses the whole reason for the effort.) The real "winner" (and "loser"), then, is determined not by the outcome of a particular argument, but how effectively one's point and message was conveyed, whether there's agreement or not.

In that respect, the only real opponent you have is yourself, and your ability to get your point across to others, regardless of their position(s) on the matter.

If one goes about looking at interaction on the internet as competition...they're doing it wrong.

I usually hump the button on egregiously bad sales threads.

In the "out of context" thread this would work one of two ways...

I usually hump

or

I usually hump the butt

• Administrator

Since people have asked:

1. If particular individuals show a pattern of hitting notify moderator excessively on posts that moderation doesn't consider a violation, they are asked to stop it and recalibrate. It's extremely rare that a member ignores that warning, but it has happened.

If someone finds that their posts are frequently "notified" on but there is no moderator follow up, you can conclude a few things from that:

--a. Despite the occasional feelings to the contrary, moderation is actually pretty balanced, and it is not simply the complaining that results in action.

--b. If it keeps happening, it is most likely that you are regularly posting close enough to the line of violation that a scattering of people object to your posts. If it was one person or a select group of people clearly using notify repeatedly to harass someone, they would have been told to stop, and if they didn't a strike would eventually show up.

2. Is it reasonable to go for years without a strike and suddenly get several? Is it a predictable pattern? Yes.

--a. If you're an aggressive poster who is often just short of the line, who then trips over it and gets a strike, and

--b. If that person has the personality type that escalates the aggression when held accountable instead of backing things down, then

--c. It becomes likely that more strikes will be issued.

Most folks who have had that tendency don't actually make it past their initial escalation and eventually get banned. Bugaboo, Major Khaos, Hammer, various others over time. They are usually big personalities and prolific posters.

I suspect that they sometimes return quietly as a reformed user - which isn't actually allowed - but if I am not sure that they're back because they are not flaunting their identity and not returning to their old posting habits, I don't make it an issue. The goal is really just good community participation for everyone, not witch hunts.