• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The umpire is calling strikes..................

5,775 posts in this topic

If you read the US Coin or Numismatics General Forums periodically you'll see some interesting and often heated exchanges, but they tend to not get too personal. They can be pretty funny though, mostly due to the arguments being out of context (or understanding of a comic-centric person).

I think the coin folks are more akin to those frequenting the GA forums. Well mannered, and they have a better perspective on the market and don't deal with wild price fluctuations that may color the viewpoints of posters in other forums that lead to friction. Also very little to debate about first appearances and such. 2c

Coins appeal to a different cultural cross section than do comics. In general, coins are collected by more staid, stable, mature people, economically, socially, and intellectually. Comic books appeal, in large part, to a section of the populace which does not possess those qualities.

To be diplomatic.

There's only one person I have ever had an issue with in coins, and that person was quite persistent in voicing his opinion about me.

To be fair, I ripped into condition freak. Did I deserve a ban? hm

There was a delay in my ban, I had made several more posts, using profanity proliferously that night.

Perhaps a warning would have sufficed.

Alas...

Thanks for the love peeps :)

One time condition freak posted something I found highly offensive and I despooned a word to call him.

It got wiped and I just got a warning (apparently the mod found what he said offensive as well and understood why I, in anger, responded as I did.)

I still apologized afterward to condition freak. I may not agree with his...uh... points of view.... in fact, I may feel a lot more strongly about his points of view than I'm letting on, but... it's for the mods to decide. He's gotten his warnings and strikes.

I try and let that anger wash away, man.

Life's too short. Spend it on things that make you smile.

Ignore is a wonderful thing, if one has the strength of character to actually do it. So long as someone you are ignoring isn't trying to get your attention or engage you in some way, actively or passively, there's no problem. You don't need to see what they have to say, and aren't motivated to respond. It creates some interesting and occasionally disjointed conversations, but it is far preferable to trying to reason with the unreasonable and getting sucked into drama. There are people who will never be able to have a calm, rational discussion about many topics, so why try?

There was a delay in my ban, I had made several more posts, using profanity proliferously that night.

Alas...

It may have appeared like the interaction had gotten to a point there was no cooling off, other than forcing a breakup of the parties.

Worst-case, you put him on ignore and the two of you don't engage again. Some folks just don't get along.

If you read the US Coin or Numismatics General Forums periodically you'll see some interesting and often heated exchanges, but they tend to not get too personal. They can be pretty funny though, mostly due to the arguments being out of context (or understanding of a comic-centric person).

I think the coin folks are more akin to those frequenting the GA forums. Well mannered, and they have a better perspective on the market and don't deal with wild price fluctuations that may color the viewpoints of posters in other forums that lead to friction. Also very little to debate about first appearances and such. 2c

Coins appeal to a different cultural cross section than do comics. In general, coins are collected by more staid, stable, mature people, economically, socially, and intellectually. Comic books appeal, in large part, to a section of the populace which does not possess those qualities.

To be diplomatic.

There's only one person I have ever had an issue with in coins, and that person was quite persistent in voicing his opinion about me.

thumb.jpg

Alas...

It may have appeared like the interaction had gotten to a point there was no cooling off, other than forcing a breakup of the parties.

Worst-case, you put him on ignore and the two of you don't engage again. Some folks just don't get along.

Best case, actually. My first ignore. I think it's a good choice.

To be diplomatic.

I beg to differ on this one. I have most, if not all, of those qualities. My status and/or standing on here in no way reflects me in the real world. I have been dealing with people in my fields of collecting for over 25 years and have a lot of respect from my peers from how I deal with them and handle myself. There have people who have sought me out to help them and deal with them because of this. I have had people do things for me because it was "me".

I am handing my business over to my children and am teaching them to be this way. For years they have marveled how that when we are in public people would come up to me, whom I have dealt with for years or years ago, and say hi. People remember you when you leave an impression on them.

I am this way in business and in life.

I just wanted to say that not every comic reader falls into you description. (thumbs u

To be diplomatic.

I beg to differ on this one. I have most, if not all, of those qualities. My status and/or standing on here in no way reflects me in the real world. I have been dealing with people in my fields of collecting for over 25 years and have a lot of respect from my peers from how I deal with them and handle myself. There have people who have sought me out to help them and deal with them because of this. I have had people do things for me because it was "me".

I am handing my business over to my children and am teaching them to be this way. For years they have marveled how that when we are in public people would come up to me, whom I have dealt with for years or years ago, and say hi. People remember you when you leave an impression on them.

I am this way in business and in life.

I just wanted to say that not every comic reader falls into you description. (thumbs u

Comic books appeal, in large part, to a section of the populace which does not possess those qualities.

:)

That's good that you don't fit that mold, but my post wasn't about the exceptions.

Bronies and furries are, in large part, wealthy and muscular, but there are exceptions.

bear_shining_costume.jpg

The bear-guy from The Shining certainly looks brolic. And the gentleman that's getting his knob polished is dressed in tails. hm