• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Preservation and Longevity of comics

45 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I have a question in regards to the preservation of my comic books. I essentially wanted to know which of the following two environments would be a better place to store my books.

Option A: A room in which the humidity is kept at a constant 47% but the temperature is slightly high, at a constant of 80 degrees.

Option B: A room where the humidity is often fluctuating between 50%-60% but has a cooler constant temperature of 75 degrees.

Im really interested to know if its better to have a constant humidity at a higher temperature or a fluctuating humidity at a lower temperature.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Aren't you the one who posted 5,230 replies to yourself in a "Testing" thread?

Not 5,230. but yes I experimented with a testing thread.

I would prefer input on the original post if you could provide that though.

Why won't you tell me what you needed to test 5000+ times? :pullhair:

It was only around 4,567 times. Wasn't the official story that it was an auto-posting macro, despite the inconsistencies in the posting?

It was only around 4,567 times. Wasn't the official story that it was an auto-posting macro, despite the inconsistencies in the posting?

An auto-posting macro or something like it was my guess.

He's the Cal Ripken, Jr. of test threads. Respect the man!

I'd go with option B.

Any reason why you said option B? I was under the impression that the constant changes in humidity could lead to the faster breaking down of books.

I'd go with option B.

Any reason why you said option B? I was under the impression that the constant changes in humidity could lead to the faster breaking down of books.

If by constant you mean it's 50% in the morning and 60% in the evening, you may have something. That wasn't stipulated in the original post. If it's over a longer period of time, I figure that's a relatively small fluctuation when compared to option A's steady 80 degrees. If you'd said it fluctuates between 50% to 80% I'd think that's too extreme to protect the paper.

I'm no expert in the matter, by far. Just trying to contribute to the conversation. :)

Let me ask you a few questions.

1. are they in an attic or garage?

2.do you have them inside with Mylars and acid free boards?

3.If so....... refer to #2

4.If not......?

5. They will probably outlive you,refer to #3

6.they will probably already be brittle pieces of junk by now anyway,refer to #1

hm

Hello All,

I have a question in regards to the preservation of my comic books. I essentially wanted to know which of the following two environments would be a better place to store my books.

Option A: A room in which the humidity is kept at a constant 47% but the temperature is slightly high, at a constant of 80 degrees.

Option B: A room where the humidity is often fluctuating between 50%-60% but has a cooler constant temperature of 75 degrees.

Im really interested to know if its better to have a constant humidity at a higher temperature or a fluctuating humidity at a lower temperature.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Neither. 68-77 Fahrenheit and 35% humidity is where you wanna be.

I'd go with option B.

If by constant you mean it's 50% in the morning and 60% in the evening, you may have something. That wasn't stipulated in the original post. If it's over a longer period of time, I figure that's a relatively small fluctuation when compared to option A's steady 80 degrees. If you'd said it fluctuates between 50% to 80% I'd think that's too extreme to protect the paper.

I'm no expert in the matter, by far. Just trying to contribute to the conversation. :)

and i greatly appreciate your insight, its more of a constant change throughout the day

Let me ask you a few questions.

1. are they in an attic or garage?

2.do you have them inside with Mylars and acid free boards?

3.If so....... refer to #2

4.If not......?

5. They will probably outlive you,refer to #3

6.they will probably already be brittle pieces of junk by now anyway,refer to #1

hm

Ok heres my answers:

1. more of a basement

2. Yes

Thanks for the input!

I'd go with option B.

its more of a constant change throughout the day

Why? You keep your books out side? Even the weakest engineered HVAC system will keep temp/humidity at a level that is consistent and not at a constant change.

Everything I have read suggests the ideal range for storage is a temperature of 65-72 degrees and humdity of 45-60 percent.

I doubt there would be much difference in your two choices. I'd probably choose the room with the lower temperature, since the humidity is still within the ideal range.