• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

15 buck charge for grader's notes...surprise, surprise!

46 posts in this topic

I think if you are paying for a book to be graded that notes should be included. But, I'm wrong, so :sorry:

You are not wrong. In fact, based on the previous threads, I believe you are in the majority in terms of your views.

I sometimes wish all of my totally awesome posts could be compiled for me and others to enjoy at a later date.

Let us know when you start making some.

It's all about perspective. If by "totally awesome" he means "cured my insomnia" then there are plenty.

I serve many functions here.

I sometimes wish all of my totally awesome posts could be compiled for me and others to enjoy at a later date.

Let us know when you start making some.

It's all about perspective. If by "totally awesome" he means "cured my insomnia" then there are plenty.

I serve many functions here.

Some of them unintentional.

:grin:

Am I the only one who just found out that there is a 15 buck charge to get grader's notes on a book that YOU own? (shrug)

CGC has more electronic website features and more fees, fees, & fees. (Shouldn't it be less fees if it does not involve a human answer?) lol

Dang! Even I knew about this and I don't know nuttin'! :D

I think if you are paying for a book to be graded that notes should be included. But, I'm wrong, so :sorry:

You are not wrong. In fact, based on the previous threads, I believe you are in the majority in terms of your views.

THere's no 'wrong' or 'right' here. There's what we (the paying customer) would like, or what we would hope for, and there's another side trying to increase its revenues, as businesses tend to do.

There is a service provided, which is agreed upon and paid for. There is an additional aspect to the service that can be added for a fee.

People have the right to exercise their wishes/hopes/dreams and arguments ad nauseum as they see fit, and should, via chat boards, phone calls, emails, direct messages, snail mail, etc. But what people really listen to is the almighty dollar. If they raise their 'notes' prices and make overall 10% money but the volume of note requests goes down by 10%, then they're making 10% more for doing 10% less. SOunds like a solid winfall to me. BUT if they see volume go down by 40% on note requests and total notes money drop 20%, THEN they might think twice about it. On the other hand, if 'notes money' is like only 2% of total revenue which is still increasing consistently due to a zillion subs, then they might not care.

There's what we might think of as right or wrong, and then there's economics. It's not like they're taking milk away from starving babies or punching puppies, they're just trying to make a little extra cash from people with extra disposable income.

I sometimes wish all of my totally awesome posts could be compiled for me and others to enjoy at a later date. Case in point, from the lowered prices thread:

Post 1: Notes are $1000.

Reaction 1: They shouldn't cost at all. This won't decrease TATs. They're too expensive. It's my property anyways.

Post 2: Notes are less and we're doing some other stuff.

Reaction 2: How awesome, they've lowered the cost of notes!! ZOMG CGC is da bomb!!!

lollers

THere's no 'wrong' or 'right' here. There's what we (the paying customer) would like, or what we would hope for, and there's another side trying to increase its revenues, as businesses tend to do.

There is a service provided, which is agreed upon and paid for. There is an additional aspect to the service that can be added for a fee.

You're entitled to your opinion. And I certainly don't want to belabour this point as it has several threads with close to 200 pages worth of opinion on the decision. For me it's about winning public opinion, and I just don't see this being one of the business decisions that was made with much thought or attention to the external perception problem it created.

As for your comment on things "businesses" tend to do in the name of the almighty dollar, and whether it is possible to deem a businesses decision as "wrong", when Starbucks charged 9/11 rescue workers $130 for three cases of water, that might well be a good example fitting your description of business doing what they need to do to increase their revenues, but the negative publicity and public outcry screamed a sentiment which clearly defined wrongdoing.

The overarching theme in the CGC graders notes topic is one where customers are paying for a service which they feel should incorporate graders notes, and the idea of treating it as an accessory (especially when it was free for over 10 years) is where it starts to become clearer where the choice to consider it an additional revenue stream may not have been the wisest decision.

To their credit, they did drop the fee after the public outcry, but it was still deemed as being a "too little, too late" response that didn't properly address people's concerns. Quite frankly, the only face-saving move probably might have been found in returning it to a "no-fee" information source available via phone call with a daily inquiry limit or through an online resource requiring a one-time fee registration based access point.

The outcry has calmed for the most part, but in its current iteration, threads popping-up questioning the value of descriptions which make little or no sense to paying customers are bound to exacerbate the perception problem. 2c

Isn't the Service heavily parsed? (shrug) The customer pays to get their comic "Certified" by CGC. "Certification" is the only end product purchased.

"Reviewing", "Grading", Grader's Notes" and "Restoration Check" seem to be the internal processes used by CGC to arrive at the "Certified" designation. "Certification" includes a grade opinion, true, but whatever internal processes and criteria used are proprietary and their results are not guaranteed.

That's how I read their FAQs. Right or wrong? (shrug)

That's actually a lot of info compared to some of the notes I've paid for.

It's a drag to have to pay, but in the long run I've saved money by learning about hidden defects that dissuaded me from purchasing certain books.

It's a drag to have to pay, but in the long run I've saved money by learning about hidden defects that dissuaded me from purchasing certain books.

Yeah, I'm just kidding. It is helpful info and I now know the defects on my book (although I spotted all CGC did on the book). (thumbs u

That's what I was thinking. I've still never paid, but that seems like a decent amount of info based on graders notes phone calls I've made in the past.