• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What happened to the comics you had as a kid?

111 posts in this topic

Around 1990 I traded them for Golden Age comics. I had thousands of SA and BA Marvels.

I did the opposite when I started to sell my precious 1930s italian Disney comics to purchase Silver Age books in the early 1990s. I then quickly realized I was being a fool, and quickly stopped, so I have probably less SA Marvel, but luckily still have a good deal of them… :cloud9:

What's more regrettable for me is that ALL of the better SA back issues I bought in my early teens were sold during the '80s, at a time when cars, guitars, girls, partying, hamburgers, gasoline, amplifiers, stereo gear, etc., were taking a big toll on my small bank account.

For some reason I would have imagined that… :eyeroll:

:headbang:

What's even more of bummer is that all of the cool stuff that I put my comics and other monies towards back then--a 1969 Fender Telecaster...1968 Marshall 50-watt head & 4x12 cabinet...1966 Chevy Impala coupe--are also long gone. :cry:

I still own most of the ones I still like. My beat to death Groo comics, the very first comics I pulled out of a bargain bin, and the first comic I ever got fresh off the stands. Some I got rid of because I bought hardcovers collecting the same material and was overwhelmed with all the clutter, and plenty I got rid of because I was never going to read or look at it again and just wasn't into it anymore.

The first comics I had as a real little kid were read to death. When I was old to enough to understand the concept of collecting them, I still read them, but carefully. So the Bronze Age books of my youth were in around VG-F condition. I traded them all to the local comic shop when I was 13 for a Golden Age Batman comic.

I sold my collection to my azz hole brother for $100, when I was about 14. It was mostly Image and Valiant drek, that I paid way way too much for colorful foil covers. :facepalm:

I had my first key book, Daredevil 7, that was beat to sheet, which is the only book I really miss.

Hmm.

Well, I was born in 1954, started reading comics around 1960. From 1960 through about 1969 everything I managed to get my hands on was thrown away by Mom. Eventually we struck a deal and as long as I left NOTHING out I could keep them. All sold circa 1978 during a time of extreme broke except for one lonesome overlooked Strange Tales which has been in my possession ever since. (I've replaced them all and bought plenty more since then, of course)

I cut my British stuff up and wallpapered my room with them, the rest were given to my cousins by my Mother :(

All my US stuff, I still have, I was very protective of it.

I have been collecting for 40+ years now and I still have 99% of all the stuff I have ever bought for my collection :grin:

I was the kid who had comics rolled up in back pocket, and clipped mantle rookie cards to the spokes of his bike . Nothing I had as a child survived. Very little of what my dad had survived my childhood either,

It's a rather long story.... but the short version is that as my 13th birthday was approaching, I felt like I was getting too mature for comics, so I threw them all in a garbage bag and sold them to a kid at school for forty bucks...

...lots of good books in there as this was 1982, just after Wolverine #1 was published..geez, I remember there being stacks upon stacks of them at the local shows. That was one hot book when it first came out. But man, I was shocked to see so many copies available at the time.

Had almost every Marvel from 1977 to 1987. Read the hell outta them but had them all bagged and in pretty good condition; sold most at VFW hall sales, etc. Sold the last 3,000 to a dad and his son for $1,000 in 1989.