• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What happened to the comics you had as a kid?

111 posts in this topic

Still have most of them. I started collecting in the mid 50's. My collection includes my older brothers and sister's books and even my dad's comics from the 30's & 40's. I did sell off all the girlie love story comics, the Wonder Woman books, and most of the war comics. Some of my dad's old books. Which I regret to this day. I did get a lot $$$$ for them though. But I still own all my comics from the 50's, 60's, 70, on up. All the superhero stuff. Complete runs of all the important superheroes. Both DC and Marvel. Even some Charlton and Treasure Chest. I would say I have around 75% (or more) of my original collection from the 50's and 60%. 100% of all the books from the 70's on up. I have been into comics all my life. Never stopped until recently. The new stuff thats out just doesn't interest me. Nothing like the superheroes I grew up reading.

That was cool.

How old were you in 1986? (I was 17, and pretty much entusiastic about the New Mutants, since I had their same age… :D ).

I was 13 years old, and I never stopped liking comics, I just had other things to blow my allowance on, like hanging out with my friends, drinking Orange Julius' at the mall, buying new bearings for my skateboard - stuff like that.

I sold my baseball cards, too - which I used to regret up until about 10 years ago, when I realized all my amazing cards and rookies (1960-1984 Topps cards) had become virtually worthless.

1. My first collection obtained from 1971-1990. I stopped collecting mostly due to the variant cover craze and sold the entire collection and used that money to buy a 1968 Chevelle with a big block that I partially restored but later had to sell due to splitting up from my Ex which leads to number 2.

2. Collection number 2 I started in 1995 and started to recollect the keys of what titles I had before: Hulk #1, Spiderman #1, etc. This collection was smaller only about 5 longboxes and was thrown away by my Ex. ( she claims she threw them away I don't really know what she did to be honest, but that was what she told me happened. I returned the favor throwing away all of her shoes. 40 some pairs. )

3. Third collection from 2005-present. I still have.

I started collecting when I was in Middle School living in England. There wasn't much else to do except soccer and cricket so I did comics. When I moved back to the states for High School I stopped collected but had a short box worth of books. After H.S. my parents moved to New Mexico and the England while I stayed in Virginia. My Mom was very good about my books because of the story of my Grandmother throwing away my Dad's baseball cards (she said Dad told her to).

I started collecting again in 2001 and got my Dad to bring my books back. I got most of those back and still have a few today. Some didn't survive my purge of last year. I have a nagging feeling that some of my books didn't make it. I remembered ordering and getting the UNICEF Spider-Man/Venom book with Metallic Ink. But I don't have it in my collection. So I think there might have been or still is a box of comics floating around. So either go check Holloman AFB or RAF Feltwell for my long lost comics

Still have most of them. I started collecting in the mid 50's. My collection includes my older brothers and sister's books and even my dad's comics from the 30's & 40's.... I did get a lot $$$$ for them though. But I still own all my comics from the 50's, 60's, 70, on up. All the superhero stuff. Complete runs of all the important superheroes. Both DC and Marvel. Even some Charlton and Treasure Chest. I would say I have around 75% (or more) of my original collection from the 50's and 60%. 100% of all the books from the 70's on up. I have been into comics all my life. Never stopped until recently. The new stuff thats out just doesn't interest me. Nothing like the superheroes I grew up reading.

Good man!

(thumbs u

I did sell off all the girlie love story comics, the Wonder Woman books, and most of the war comics. Some of my dad's old books. Which I regret to this day.

Oh well. Everybody makes mistakes.

(shrug)

I sold my baseball cards, too - which I used to regret up until about 10 years ago, when I realized all my amazing cards and rookies (1960-1984 Topps cards) had become virtually worthless.

I don't think they'd be worthless, particularly not the ones before 1970.

(shrug)

2. Collection number 2 I started in 1995 and started to recollect the keys of what titles I had before: Hulk #1, Spiderman #1, etc. This collection was smaller only about 5 longboxes and was thrown away by my Ex. ( she claims she threw them away I don't really know what she did to be honest, but that was what she told me happened. I returned the favor throwing away all of her shoes. 40 some pairs. )

I'm confused here. If she was your ex, how were you two in any position to throw away each other's stuff?

???

I was 13 years old, and I never stopped liking comics, I just had other things to blow my allowance on, like hanging out with my friends, drinking Orange Julius' at the mall, buying new bearings for my skateboard - stuff like that.

The age and geography difference explains a lot: I stopped around 13 as well, but just because I was forced: Marvels were no longer published in Italy. In 1987 they restarted with a new publisher and I had a big comeback: I started purchasing comics in original edition to see what I missed and – man how much awesome things going on, so many new characters and titles!

I think I have reduced to pulp my copy of New Mutants Annual #2 – and I wasn’t even able to grasp all that was going on (the last X-Men story which was published in Italy before they stopped was probably X-Men #118, go figure!)

I was 18 and I still recall I went to my Maturity Exam (the italian equivalent of an A-level exam, I seem to get) when this one came out:

uomoragno_star_14.jpg

and I felt really cool, being among the minority of italian Marvel readers at the time. :cool:

Treasure Chest vol. 17 and 18? :foryou:

I had a few graded and they came back in the 7.0 to 5.0 range. Love the Crandell art in the commie stories.

It‘s awesome indeed… :cloud9:

I also love the Pope John XXIII biography by Joe Sinnott in vol. 18. Any spare copies? :angel: (Some of mine are really lowgrade…)

I have told this story on here before. But here goes again.

I collected in the early 60's as a kid. I then joined the Marines and shipped off for 8 years, going around the world in the military.

I was raised by my grandparents since I was 5 years old. I had totally forgotten about my comics books while in the military.

I had come home a few times during my military time. But very few times.

Finally, when I got out for good, I went home. One of my aunts, that I was raised with like we were siblings, surprised me and said, "I have something for you that I found in your grandmothers attic".

It was one cardboard box full of comic books. It was kind of cool, but not a big deal at that time. I just put them in my closet and forgot about them again.

Then I became a Cleveland cop, at age 28, and my partner and I were driving around patrolling one day. He asked me to pull over in front of this comic book store. It was called NorthCoast Nostalgia.

I pulled over and waited as he went inside. He came out with a paper bag with something in it, that I assumed were comic books. I find out that day, that he was a big time reader of comic books. The next week he wanted to stop at that store again and I decided to go inside with him. To make a long story short, I ended up buying an Overstreet Price Guide. Took it home that night and went through my "collection" in the closet. I was amused and amazed how some of the books were actually worth something more than a few cents.

I then started buying comic books left and right. I started buying at least three copies of just about every issue that caught my eye. Some books I bought dozens of copies of. I looked at them as strictly investments. But investments I took a certain amout of pride and nostalgia in owning.

I have not stopped "investing" in comic books since. It has been my hobby and my passion. But admittedly I have read very few. The stories just don't do much for me anymore. I love a cool cover though. Which fits right in with CGC's product. I also like rarity, and at some point along the way. I came into possession of the Gerber Scarcity Guides and started really looking for books Gerber 6's and above.

I have a lot of books. For a person that does not read many of them, and for someone who is middle income at best.

At one point, there was another Cleveland cop who also had been collecting and he set up a booth at a comc convention. He wanted to move his books because his wife was upset that they took too much space in the house. He sold some books, but he had thousands and sales were not going so well. I went to buy some stuff from him, just to be a good friend, and ended up buying everything he had for .50 cents each. There was junk and there was very good stuff. Lots of early Wolverines, Punishers, Dark Horse, etc, and even a Batman 50. But he had very few silver and golden age books.

The thing about his collecting habit, was that he also was an investor and did not read them He put every book into mylar and boarded, and picked out the best copies he could find, when he bought books.

So, I have his stuff, and my stuff, all together now. I have sold some along the way. And I regret just about every one of those sales, AF #15. Kid Colt #1, Batman #50, FF #5, and many others.

I am trying to get them back, but as I said. I ain't even close to being rich. But I ain't hard up either. I expect to get them all eventually.

In a nutshell, that is my story about comic book collecting.

I am a Marvel fan mostly. But Batman is my favorite hero, and DD #7 is my favorite story. I really like dogs and thus, Krypto stories are something I always look for at conventions.

My "investing" is also my passion and my enjoyable hobby. Can't beat that. Even if I lose money in the long run, I have enjoyed it immensly.

If you look in my signature you will see some of the books I still have from when I was a kid.

Regrettably, I only have around 30 comics left from when my brother and I first starting buying comics and they are all in pretty bad condition. But I keep them anyway as a nostalgic reminder of bygone days before puberty and adulthood robbed my innocence.