• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re: CGC Case Indentations....

49 posts in this topic

I'm concerned about the books I have with this problem and I would like CGC to correct them. I'm going to go through my books tonight and see how many have this. I might see if they would be willing to reslab them but I doubt they will based on my last inquiry about this issue. They said it was ok and wouldn't hurt the book...

Do you have slabs with the same amount of indentation though? I have a lot with the rainbow mark, but I don't think that is the same thing.

The rainbow marks are just the two pieces of plastic being on top of each other. That's been around since the beginning I think. Some people are bothered by it but it doesn't bother me.

The indents I have on some of my latest subs are all on the back and are in varying sizes and shapes. I've counted 5 of my slabs so far have this issue.

Still going through.

I'm concerned about the books I have with this problem and I would like CGC to correct them. I'm going to go through my books tonight and see how many have this. I might see if they would be willing to reslab them but I doubt they will based on my last inquiry about this issue. They said it was ok and wouldn't hurt the book...

Do you have slabs with the same amount of indentation though? I have a lot with the rainbow mark, but I don't think that is the same thing.

The rainbow marks are just the two pieces of plastic being on top of each other. That's been around since the beginning I think. Some people are bothered by it but it doesn't bother me.

The indents I have on some of my latest subs are all on the back and are in varying sizes and shapes. I've counted 5 of my slabs so far have this issue.

Still going through.

Post a picture. I skimmed the other thread but didn't see anything that looked familiar. I'm just curious if my newer books have this.

And I've noticed the rainbow effect more on books slabbed in the last year or two.

They used to not be like this, now they are.

What changed that caused this to happen?

Based on the responses from The CGC reported by others, they don't seem to care much about the books what have the problem, nor about fixing it so it doesn't happen in the future.

I don't know the cause but it is a recent issue from slabs this year.

I started seeing it on my monthly 9.8 subscription a few months ago and then on my last two submissions myself had some come back like this.

When I called CGC, the woman on the phone said it would not harm the comic and was not a problem.

They don't seem to be worried about it all...but when I call tomorrow (and hopefully others will as well) I hope their stance changes.

Still going through.

Post a picture. I skimmed the other thread but didn't see anything that looked familiar. I'm just curious if my newer books have this.

And I've noticed the rainbow effect more on books slabbed in the last year or two.

This is one of the easier to see due to the all black back cover. Extremely ugly and strange.

8D374549-1514-4CB9-BD31-89882DFD54BA-164-000000083903BE5E_zps4d194db0.jpg

** Lets track down the time line **

I looked the books I got back 6 months ago and no defects

if we can show a time theses slabs were processed and can show that different people in different places have same defect then CGC will be forced to admit on a given day to another given day they were using defective material of poorly trained staff -- Both of theses would be their fault and require a fix their cost

This is pretty easy to diagnose.

If the blanks don't have the indentation/wave before they are used then the problem is created during the process. Maybe the encapsulater's hand under the slab creating the indent during the time of sealing? Just a random thought.

If the blanks do have the indentation/wave before they are used then the problem is the manufacturing of the blank and not the process.

Here's a pic of a Locke & Key: Crown of Shadows #2 CGC 10, I bought.

DSC091161.jpg

Upon closer inspection, I noticed the inner well inside edge was doing the wavy gravy and damaged the book's edge.

DSC091131.jpg

I called CGC and they wanted me to send the book back. I noticed other books like this too and sent them too. I didn't like something like this potentially damaging my books, I paid a Gem Mint premium for.

They concluded it was damaged by the encapsulation and re-graded it at 9.8 and reholdered it for free. I paid postage both ways (I was a sucker). They concluded the other books weren't damaged (they never opened them up). Kinda funny they can do this kind of grading, but won't leave polybagged books in their bags for holders, lol .

I suggested a recall on mint to gem mint wells since a lot of these wells had this issue and premiums were being paid for them (New Mutants #98's 9.9 was just realized at $12K+). It was automatically dismissed.

Last I looked, the book in CGC 10 form was still in the gallery, yet missing from the census. :shrug:

DSC091161.jpg

Upon closer inspection, I noticed the inner well inside edge was doing the wavy gravy and damaged the book's edge.

DSC091131.jpg

I called CGC and they wanted me to send the book back. I noticed other books like this too and sent them too. I didn't like something like this potentially damaging my books, I paid a Gem Mint premium for.

They concluded it was damaged by the encapsulation and re-graded it at 9.8 and reholdered it for free. I paid postage both ways (I was a sucker). They concluded the other books weren't damaged (they never opened them up). Kinda funny they can do this kind of grading, but won't leave polybagged books in their bags for holders, lol .

I suggested a recall on mint to gem mint wells since a lot of these wells had this issue and premiums were being paid for them (New Mutants #98's 9.9 was just realized at $12K+). It was automatically dismissed.

Last I looked, the book in CGC 10 form was still in the gallery, yet missing from the census. :shrug:

Wait, just so I'm clear. CGC damaged the book in encapsulation, took away the 10 because of it, and did nothing to make up the difference?

DSC091161.jpg

DSC091131.jpg

Wait, just so I'm clear. CGC damaged the book in encapsulation, took away the 10 because of it, and did nothing to make up the difference?

$150 coupon on their grading services. It was a great thing to do, but a little seed was planted that day on not trusting their quality. It has lingered with me to this day. I eventually, gave up on their services when I saw other instances with wells that didn't sit well with me. I guess I didn't want to buy a 9.9 TWD #1 and see this happen and get shafted next time. I generally enjoy these boards only for comic discussions now (and lost any interest in ever building a Registry Set again). :(

DSC091161.jpg

DSC091131.jpg

$150 coupon on their grading services. It was a great thing to do, but a little seed was planted that day on not trusting their quality. It has lingered with me to this day. I eventually, gave up on their services when I saw other instances with wells that didn't sit well with me. I guess I didn't want to buy a 9.9 TWD #1 and see this happen and get shafted next time. I generally enjoy these boards only for comic discussions now (and lost any interest in ever building a Registry Set again). :(

:o

That sucks

Hi all,

I am a little out of my element because CGC parts do not fall under my purview, but I will relate what I know.

We have over 26 different wells for our comics alone, even more when you include magazine wells. The indent affect some of them, not all. We have consulted our manufacturer and we are in the process of getting to the bottom of this. Our manufacturer calls this indent, "Puddling" and it happens during the cooling process of large pieces of a high-end material. If we used a material cheaper then Barex, this would not be an issue. We have had indents ("Puddling") on our wells since day one. In the beginning it presented itself more as a "C" - now it looks kind of like a "O".

However, what we need to understand is that this does not affect the book in any way we have seen.

Like I said, this is out of my realm. I have, thanks to Mike for bringing it to my direct attention, brought this to my superiors. They are now involved and we are working on this issue. It is important to remember that no book is in jeopardy of being harmed by this indent. I think everyone, CGC included, is in agreement that we would prefer if it was not there at all.

-Paul

Hi all,

I am a little out of my element because CGC parts do not fall under my purview, but I will relate what I know.

We have over 26 different wells for our comics alone, even more when you include magazine wells. The indent affect some of them, not all. We have consulted our manufacturer and we are in the process of getting to the bottom of this. Our manufacturer calls this indent, "Puddling" and it happens during the cooling process of large pieces of a high-end material. If we used a material cheaper then Barex, this would not be an issue. We have had indents ("Puddling") on our wells since day one. In the beginning it presented itself more as a "C" - now it looks kind of like a "O".

However, what we need to understand is that this does not affect the book in any way we have seen.

Like I said, this is out of my realm. I have, thanks to Mike for bringing it to my direct attention, brought this to my superiors. They are now involved and we are working on this issue. It is important to remember that no book is in jeopardy of being harmed by this indent. I think everyone, CGC included, is in agreement that we would prefer if it was not there at all.

-Paul

I really appreciate the explanation. Thanks.

I'm sure you can understand that when it comes to trying to sell these books that have this indentation issue...it could be a problem.

I do think the books should be reslabbed on CGC's cost including shipping. I think it is only fair considering the cost to slab and the poor aesthetics of what is returned.

I appreciate the update also but to say

-Paul

well physically, maybe so.

But what about aesthetically > presentation.

How does it look to collectors whose eyes go straight to one microscopic spine tic or even mid to high grade collectors like myself who care a lot about presentation/ eye appeal. I would never knowingly buy a slab with this unsightly defect.