• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wizard World Chicago Comic Con August 21-24, 2014

326 posts in this topic

Chicago Wizard had an unusually high amount of 1/2 price back issues on Thurs. at the start of the con.

There were almost no OA dealers. Missing in action: Bechara Malouf from Boston, Albert Moy from NJ, Tri-State OA from the Eastcoast USA. I guess their OA sales were not stellar at SDCC so decided to skip Chicago Wizard ?

OA?

Chicago Wizard had an unusually high amount of 1/2 price back issues on Thurs. at the start of the con.

There were almost no OA dealers. Missing in action: Bechara Malouf from Boston, Albert Moy from NJ, Tri-State OA from the Eastcoast USA. I guess their OA sales were not stellar at SDCC so decided to skip Chicago Wizard ?

OA?

Original art.

Yeah I agree, this was my first US show I left without buying a page.

I also felt like all the good books had been purchased on wednesday based on the stories I was over hearing. :(

A lot of the sharks do their feeding on Wednesday, but if you look you can still find some good stuff.

Did the other company have on site grading?

not that I'm aware of. I didn't stop by. Not interested.

:shy:

They did not have any on site grading. The turn around is supposed to be quick. I saw several dealers with the new company's slab's. I dropped off a couple.

saw a lot of the new grading company's books this weekend at vendor booths

yet the traffic at the CGC booth was at least 10 times more than the other booth.

It was pretty steady at both, that I saw.

Lack of original art was very apparent, especially from what I can recall 5-10 years ago. One employee got all up in my daughters face because she tried to take Matt Smith's picture from roughly 40 feet away, which I thought was a little uncalled for. Artist's alley was a shadow of what it was 10 years ago.

Yeah I agree, this was my first US show I left without buying a page.

I also felt like all the good books had been purchased on wednesday based on the stories I was over hearing. :(

Most of the booths I went to were picked pretty clean :sorry:

Point well taken, I guess since it was a my 17 year old daughter trying to snap a picture with an iphone, then I'm biased and didn't see the harm in it, but rules are rules.

His point was that the Wizard employees need to consult a textbook for the correct use of an apostrophe.

There was definitely a lot of feeding going on Weds and Thursday but good deals abounded. I got some great stuff from Moondog. :cloud9: I know other collectors who found absolutely rare gems by taking the time to dig through boxes. I'm not saying that many comic dealers aren't the most organized folks on the planet… oh wait yes I am. lol

OA was nonexistent. I brought a Kirby page and it was probably the only one in the room. Had lots of interest in it and it sold. I think it's unfortunately no art dealers set up. Missed opportunity.

For those of you who skipped the Saturday night Gibson's dinner, you missed rubbing elbows and exchanging knowledge with a lot of pillars of the hobby. As well as Neal Adams and Maggie Thompson, who were both present. :headbang:

And you missed having the opportunity to fondle an Action Comics 1 brought by a local collector, along with some other ridiculous Golden Age gems. I learn so much by talking to other collectors who focus on things that I don't. And it's fun to see what people found in their quest for gems. Also, Greggy didn't spill anything.

Great show, fun to meet up with fellow collectors. Looking forward to next year already! :banana: