• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comicon Etiquette in Artist Lines

22 posts in this topic

Early this past year, Jim Lee was as the Amazing AZ Comicon, naturally there were large lines and people were there for signatures as well as sketches, and since Jim Lee is awesome he was doing everything for free.

I noticed several people that had him sketch multiple covers, I'm pretty sure they did that so they could sell some, or who knows but that's not the point. My point, or rather question is this; If there is no limit placed on # of items to get signed/sketched, is there some sort of unspoken rule in terms of etiquette, especially with the sketches?

I mean you want 5 books signed, it doesn't take long, but to have like 5 cover sketches seems excessive to me, not to mention rude. I think they were taking advantage of Jim Lee's awesomeness and just being jerks for the people that only wanted a autograph or a sketch for their own collection, not to resell or whatever else they were doing.

If your paying, that's one thing, but the fact the it was all free and I'm certain some people never got their items signed or sketched, it just annoys me to be honest.

I eventually did get his autograph but it still got me thinking, what's public opinion about this? Anyone else have this happen? Thoughts?

No rules, it is open season on sigs and sketches. I was in a Robert Kirkman line at ECCC in 2011 and a guy ahead of me had a stack of something like forty books.

I'd just be happy if more people used soap and water along with some deodorant, maybe even a toothbrush and toothpaste. I've stood in line by some pretty hygiene challenged folks. :sick:

No rules, it is open season on sigs and sketches. I was in a Robert Kirkman line at ECCC in 2011 and a guy ahead of me had a stack of something like forty books.

I'd just be happy if more people used soap and water along with some deodorant, maybe even a toothbrush and toothpaste. I've stood in line by some pretty hygiene challenged folks. :sick:

Well then we should start some kind of rule dont you think? I get the part where you may be doing it for friends or to make a profit, but especially for sketches as they take longer than a signature there should be some common courtesy if it's free. Just my 2 cents.

I will never understand how people can walk around a convention smelling like poop.

Last year at NYCC, I was in line to simply shake hands with Chris Claremont -- no signature or anything in mind, just wanted to say "thank you" for all of the X-Men comics he wrote that I grew up on.

Lucky me, one of the people in line had an entire run of the seminal X-Men to get signed... needless to say, I didn't have that much time to wait in line (had a panel to present at 45 minutes later), so I had to go.

Last year at NYCC, I was in line to simply shake hands with Chris Claremont -- no signature or anything in mind, just wanted to say "thank you" for all of the X-Men comics he wrote that I grew up on.

Lucky me, one of the people in line had an entire run of the seminal X-Men to get signed... needless to say, I didn't have that much time to wait in line (had a panel to present at 45 minutes later), so I had to go.

I understand people's enthusiasm to meet their favorite creators and I understand for some it's a once in a lifetime opportunity, but that's ridiculous. Bring two or three of your favorites and have those signed, bringing a full run is just rude to the creator and all the fans in line behind him. If I were a comic pro and I saw that I'd charge $10 per signature for everything after three comics.

I understand people's enthusiasm to meet their favorite creators and I understand for some it's a once in a lifetime opportunity, but that's ridiculous. Bring two or three of your favorites and have those signed, bringing a full run is just rude to the creator and all the fans in line behind him. If I were a comic pro and I saw that I'd charge $10 per signature for everything after three comics.

Now you know why Neal Adams charges so much.

I think the most I ever asked for was 3 signatures. I think 5 ready to sign books (out of bags, ready to go) is reasonable.

The guy who had Finch's full New Avengers run in front of me a few years ago, not cool...

Early this past year, Jim Lee was as the Amazing AZ Comicon, naturally there were large lines and people were there for signatures as well as sketches, and since Jim Lee is awesome he was doing everything for free.

I noticed several people that had him sketch multiple covers, I'm pretty sure they did that so they could sell some, or who knows but that's not the point. My point, or rather question is this; If there is no limit placed on # of items to get signed/sketched, is there some sort of unspoken rule in terms of etiquette, especially with the sketches?

I mean you want 5 books signed, it doesn't take long, but to have like 5 cover sketches seems excessive to me, not to mention rude. I think they were taking advantage of Jim Lee's awesomeness and just being jerks for the people that only wanted a autograph or a sketch for their own collection, not to resell or whatever else they were doing.

If your paying, that's one thing, but the fact the it was all free and I'm certain some people never got their items signed or sketched, it just annoys me to be honest.

I eventually did get his autograph but it still got me thinking, what's public opinion about this? Anyone else have this happen? Thoughts?

I was there as were other boardies and your story really isn't accurate. It was one sketch per person for those that wanted a sketch. It was possible to get multiple sketches by having a second vip pass and a friend in line with you. But you really are painting the wrong picture of that con. All sketches were personalized which won't stop resell but makes it harder. Also, the sketching for everyone that wanted one was Jims decision. There was signing only times set aside with Jim.

I was there as were other boardies and your story really isn't accurate. It was one sketch per person for those that wanted a sketch. It was possible to get multiple sketches by having a second vip pass and a friend in line with you. But you really are painting the wrong picture of that con. All sketches were personalized which won't stop resell but makes it harder. Also, the sketching for everyone that wanted one was Jims decision. There was signing only times set aside with Jim.

There were a few folks that I saw that had multiple sketches, If they had an additonal VIP pass or something I don't know, but there were definitely a few people with multiple sketches. I even recall the older gentleman next to me voicing his frustration.

Whether or not they were being resold was not my point. The signing only time was something decided later as when he got there it was moving at a snail's pace due to the sketches. I realize it was Jim's decision but I'm not going to hold it against him for saying yes.

I must have been standing next to you as I know exactly what individual_without_enough_empathy you were standing behind. One of my buddies wanted a Claremont signature. You are talking about the guy with the handtruck and the two short boxes stacked on each other and wanted Claremont to sign all of those books. Even Claremont looked at him with disbelief. People got grumpy. My friend got annoyed. I said aloud, "how rude can some individual_without_enough_empathys be?" and we left.

Yeah I know who you are talking about...

When I was at Skottie Young's booth at WWChicago I met a guy who was getting 50 or so of each of his new marvel covers signed. But I believe it was all set up ahead of time since Skottie was cool with the whole deal. They even dealt with me in-between signing the books. It wasn't too bad of a situation.

It surprises me that creators don't set limits all the time to be honest. I think 5 books and/or one sketch per person is perfectly reasonable. After that, if you want more books signed then no problem, just go and rejoin the back of the line.

It honestly shocks me that anyone who is not being paid to do so would willingly sign two short boxes of books.

I remember back in the 2000 Carbonaro NY comicon where Romita Sr. was at Mike Burkey's booth, doing a signing. He didn't charge anything, but he was utterly shocked when a fella lifted a garbage bag (yes, you read that correctly) full of comics on the table for him to sign.

John didn't know what to say, but his wife Virginia immediately said that John will only sign 10 comics. The fella, unrelentingly offered John cash if he signed all the comics. John politly declined the offer of $20 to sign 200 comics strewn haphazzardly in front of him. And I can't blame him.

Getting back to the OP's initial question, there are some well organized artists with specific dates and times for sketches and other times for signings. I can't tell you the number of times I've seen rude and impolite signature hounds impose upon the artist for signatures during designated sketch times.

I remember back in the 2000 Carbonaro NY comicon where Romita Sr. was at Mike Burkey's booth, doing a signing. He didn't charge anything, but he was utterly shocked when a fella lifted a garbage bag (yes, you read that correctly) full of comics on the table for him to sign.

John didn't know what to say, but his wife Virginia immediately said that John will only sign 10 comics.

1. Nobody messes with Virginia

2. Creators are in a tough position in these (and other related) cases. Their success is (in part) due to their fans, so it's hard to "say no" to them, BUT that doesn't mean they are there to be taken advantage of. Having a wife, girlfriend, "handler", rep or other there to "play the bad guy" is VERY handy so the creator gets to avoid disappointing a fan, but fans who "over ask" are kept in check as well.

I must have been standing next to you as I know exactly what individual_without_enough_empathy you were standing behind. One of my buddies wanted a Claremont signature. You are talking about the guy with the handtruck and the two short boxes stacked on each other and wanted Claremont to sign all of those books. Even Claremont looked at him with disbelief. People got grumpy. My friend got annoyed. I said aloud, "how rude can some individual_without_enough_empathys be?" and we left.

Yeah I know who you are talking about...

A buddy of mine once lost out on getting John Romita Sr's sig because the jerk in front of him in line brought and entire long box of ASM for JR to sign. Obnoxious and inconsiderate. :censored:

I've been getting books signed for almost 30 years and generally never, regardless of how many I wanted to get signed, had more than five done at a time. Last year at C2E2 I saw Neal Adams for the first time and had about 20 books I wanted to sub for SS. When I went to his table I explained to him that I wanted to have them signed and that they were going to CGC and asked if he would prefer to do them in smaller batches or all at once. It was before the show opened to the public on Friday and he wasn't that busy so he had no problem doing them all at once.

In the majority of cases though I wouldn't expect someone to sign that many books all at once, especially if there's a line of people behind you. More often than not creators sign for free and I personally think it's inconsiderate as hell to expect them to sign a huge stack of books while other people are waiting.