• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AUGUST COMIC LINK AUCTION

156 posts in this topic

Did it not recently sell for much less than that?

No idea. But it was at $1,800 with about ten seconds to go and then it skyrocketed

I was the consignor. The new owner will be happy with it. Yeah I did buy it for less and from a dealer too, surprisingly

Congrats! It sounds like you did better than the Sin City Splash seller!

Malvin

My sincere congrats and envy to the person that won this piece, a True Copper Grail (worship)

TMNT14th.jpg

I thought that auction ended an hour later than it actually did (I even set my alarm a few minutes before the "wrong" ending time). :doh: :tonofbricks:

Great piece, probably my favorite in the whole auction. Probably best that I missed out on it, though, as I'm trying to focus on my few remaining want list items without getting sidetracked on "would be nice to have" (as opposed to "must have") pieces, even if they are as awesome as this one. I have a feeling I'll be kicking myself for missing out on this one.

In any case, somebody got a great deal on this cover. 2c

I was going for a nice cover but sort of backed out at the last minute, determined it was not my focus, already have to pay off some more for another new cover I just got.

There will always be another auction!!!

I was going for a nice cover but sort of backed out at the last minute, determined it was not my focus, already have to pay off some more for another new cover I just got.

Exactly! There is always more desirable art around the corner, whatever it is that you collect.

Malvin

Again, this auction proves to me that private sales and ebay are the way to go for what I collect. I LOVED those Paul Pope pages, but they ended up going for twice what I paid for mine only a couple months ago.

I do wish I had bid higher on That Hitch JLA piece and maybe the Porter JLA 3D piece.

And yes, that Turtles cover was something for sure. I think there may be a whole lot of people kicking themselves on that one.

Again, this auction proves to me that private sales and ebay are the way to go for what I collect. I LOVED those Paul Pope pages, but they ended up going for twice what I paid for mine only a couple months ago.

Are yours from the same book with equivalent Batman images? I was impressed with them too, but I don't know the Pope market at all.

Hmmm, well that was cryptic Joe :grin::baiting: I will dish then and give some other impressions.

Bid 9600 or 9700 on the TMNT got cold feet at 11,800, one of these days I may regret not scraping 15K to 'maybe' get one of those timeless pieces for kids who were 12-15 in '86.

Threw a bid of 7600 at the McKean Hellblazer 20 cover, another rare offering at public auction. Marc owns a lot of the HB McKean covers wonder if that was him at 8600, seemed about right.

The TOS 88 - yes I know its a Marvel SA twice up by Gene Colan, but its Iron Man's buttocks -really :facepalm:

The Dell'Otto Spidey painting, well bought considering what some dealers have been asking, great image. Loved the Iron Man Piece as well.

Is it just me or did the Frazetta Withering Prelim seem cheap? I mean you can't get a WSF 29 Cochran water color print for that.

The Grell Warlord Cover. Nice example, 6.5K seems about right, a lot of cake but the detail was top notch on this piece.

3K for the Star Wars #37 page. WOWZAs Joe you are a genius for buying that cover at 2.2x that price.

The Jusko paintings were a bargain, too many in one auction???

The Kirby Darkseid panel from Jimmy Olsen. I like it at 2.7K good job to the owner.

15K for the Kirby Champions cover, "don't believe the hype" surely a sign of market implosion a Kirby Cover Superhero for 15K :grin: The Silver Star cover at 2.6K were the Jackolytes at prayer???

I liked that McLeod X-Men page at 2.2K, nice Wolvie images, it would cost 10x as much if McLeod started with a "B"

Someone tripped the Reserve on the Miller Cap cover - I retract my earlier, market is just as :devil: as ever.

Ok on to my area of sometimes expertise.

The Perez FF Cover, 15K ya I can see that. The NTT Panels did what I thought they would do (though the Tales Panel was cheap) The Baxter Cover. Well Allen is not as aggressive in the GP market as he was a few years ago and I just dropped 7.5K at Heritage so a little time to replenish the War Chest would have been nice. :/ so ..... no bueno.

I thought the Portacio lots were very reasonable, not sure why I didn't pursue the Punisher Title Splash at 700 - by this time I was drinking Margaritas at the local Mexican joint lamenting my not being a Investment Banker and having childs play money to buy OA about Mutant Ninja ......

I liked the Redondo ST Splash, the image is well bought at 1.6K IMO

The Totleben ST Splash, ok I can see it at 3.9K I like the artist and the run, its a little aggressive but not :insane:

I liked that Rawhide Kid special Cover. I mean its an SA Marvel Cover. Sure its Trimpe, but the detail looks better than others I've seen and $909 for a SA Marvel Cover. :applause:

And then a WHOLE BUNCH of Lots didn't meet reserve. Talk amongst yourselves ...... :preach:

And that is my more than 2c

And then a WHOLE BUNCH of Lots didn't meet reserve. Talk amongst yourselves ...... :preach:

You just reminded me. Most of the stuff I really wanted had reserves (Zeck pieces, Alan Davis Batman cover). While on a different day I might have considered a bid just meeting the reserve, I did not and I don't regret it.

Malvin

15K for the Kirby Champions cover, "don't believe the hype" surely a sign of market implosion a Kirby Cover Superhero for 15K :grin: The Silver Star cover at 2.6K were the Jackolytes at prayer???

The late Kirby Marvel covers from (mainly, I think) Marie Severin roughs (detailed roughs which Kirby followed closely) are considered by many Jackolytes, myself included, to be among the most phoned-in work he ever did, so 15K seems like a healthy result to me. I do agree the Silver Star cover was cheap --a little. I thought it would get 3200. In general the Kirby market seems steady to me: not up, not down. If these prices seemed low, it may be to do with a preponderance of Colleta inks, and very little in the way of Sinnott and Royer. If that Darkseid page had Royer inks? 5K, I think, maybe more.

I'm afraid I cannot comment on the TMNT situation :grin:

You just reminded me. Most of the stuff I really wanted had reserves (Zeck pieces, Alan Davis Batman cover). While on a different day I might have considered a bid just meeting the reserve, I did not and I don't regret it.

Malvin

Hey, how do you do that snip thing?

Malvin

Hey, how do you do that snip thing?

ha ha, its manual! I just erase extra text and include to make clear that I am cutting out part of their quote.

Malvin

The late Kirby Marvel covers from (mainly, I think) Marie Severin roughs (detailed roughs which Kirby followed closely) are considered by many Jackolytes, myself included, to be among the most phoned-in work he ever did, so 15K seems like a healthy result to me. I do agree the Silver Star cover was cheap --a little. I thought it would get 3200. In general the Kirby market seems steady to me: not up, not down. If these prices seemed low, it may be to do with a preponderance of Colleta inks, and very little in the way of Sinnott and Royer. If that Darkseid page had Royer inks? 5K, I think, maybe more.

I'm afraid I cannot comment on the TMNT situation :grin:

I was quite interested in reading your comment on some of the BA Marvel covers by J Kirby not being 100% his. Would you care to elaborate a bit? Does this apply to all of his prodcution at that time (at least for the books he was not writing himself, for which I am sure he did 100% of the covers)? Any "glaring" examples?

Thanks!

Carlo

I was quite interested in reading your comment on some of the BA Marvel covers by J Kirby not being 100% his. Would you care to elaborate a bit? Does this apply to all of his prodcution at that time (at least for the books he was not writing himself, for which I am sure he did 100% of the covers)? Any "glaring" examples?

Thanks!

Carlo

I don't think Aaron was suggesting that Jack didn't do the finished work. Marie Severin provided the rough compositions on hundreds of covers. Although I couldn't find any Kirby examples here's one showing Severin prelims with an Adams final cover:

severin.jpg

2836077-tn.jpg

I think someone got a great deal on the Jusko Kull wrap-around cover for $949.

I also think the Garcia Lopez Batman style guide for $2.5K is a strong result.

I conducted a little experiment between this Clink auction and the recent Heritage Signature auction as a consignor, offering very similar pieces (quality, artist, content) and found the results very interesting and not at all what I expected.