• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ben Affleck is Batman!

624 posts in this topic

My problem with Ben Affleck is that he is a movie star and not a charecter actor. He can't blend into a role it will always be Ben Affleck as Batman. Bale is a character actor he blends right into any role he plays case and point the Fighter, American Psycho, The Machinist to name a few.

Case and point look at Jack Nicholson great actor but he is always Jack in whatever role he plays, But look at DeNeiro or Johnny Depp they blend into a role and you believe they are that charecter/role

Bale set the bar way to high for Affleck to be a good Batman. People that are using Keaton as an example are way off base. Before Keaton there was no other Batman to base off of if he was any good. It was a blank slate

Five or ten years ago I would have agreed with you regarding Affleck but his last few movies have proven that he can actually take on that character. I think he has a good shot at making a believable Batman and Bruce Wayne.

Ben Affleck always has, and always will - this half-smirk on his face that betrays any seriousness to his roles. Even when he's in a serious role, I expect his to look directly at the camera and have a smarta** comment.

He has gotten some much-deserved accolades, and I think he'd be a fine Batman - but I can't take him serious for some reason. He's very wooden at times, and the other times, he's almost hammy. I want to see Argo and The Town, but spending $8 on a rental with Ben Affleck is farther down the priority list than my other films I want to see.

I just want to emphasize you haven't seen, arguably, his two greatest on screen performances, and yet are so assured of his current abilities.

And if anyone should be smirkng, it should be Bruce Wayne.

Bruce Wayne is Batman's joke. Nolan and Bale understood that.

I'm not assured of anything - I am registering an opinion. I'm not so quick to hand out atta-boys to someone for making two really good films recently and having 18 years worth of Shatner-esque performances.

Personally I thought his performance in Argo was ok, he just didn't get run over as much by the superior talent he was surrounded by. He still looked stiff and sounded like he was reading lines.

The Town? Really enjoyable movie, but... I still don't see it as Ben Affleck's acting as being a big reason for it. He's grew up in Massachusetts, so he should have the accent down... his performance, still reeks of typical Affleck to me.

I'd be more intrigued if they had named him director.

And as excited as people were over the news of a Superman:Batman movie announcement at SDCC, all Marvel had to do then was announce AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON and it put DC's fire out pretty quick.

i think the Batman - Superman news dwarfed the Age of Ultron news

To Batman fans, sure. To Superman fans, sure. To movie fans and comic book fans in general it was news that the most successful superhero movie of all time was being followed up with a classic villain and a reason to track down Avengers #55. At SDCC, THAT was the buzz I heard about.

That has nothing to do with what will make more money at the Box Office.

That complete POS and common book that is Avengers 55 was gobbled up to make short-term money. It is another classic example of a cheap SA minor key that gets a value bump with a movie announcement.

Listen I loved the Avengers movie aside from the terrible and boring villains it (I do think the actor that is playing Loki though is the best since Ledger), but when you came home HS and received an A- or A+ what looks better?

A- is nice but A+ trumps it.

I think though DC should have made a regular MOS sequel and rebooted the Batman franchise in 2014 followed by MOS 2 in 2015 then own the summer the movies in 2016.

I give Marvel all the credit in the world, and I for sure know if Marvel had the rights to Superman/Batman than they would easily and I mean easily blow Avengers out of the water. I am more skeptical of DC's creative process than Ben as Batman.

Either way summer at the movies in 2015 is going to one intense summer.

More than likely SW 7 takes the crown.

Variety was the one that first heard there were talks going on between DC and Ben Affleck.

Ben Affleck in Talks to Direct ‘Justice League’

Have we found our new Bruce Wayne in the man who once played Daredevil? Funny enough, Affleck was rumored for the part 13 years ago.

Somewhere in the flow of things - and Man of Steel nailing its box office numbers - reality became the role of Batman, and not the directing.

Again, Affleck will do well in the role...

Wait and see...

I cannot wait until you all get even more upset once they reveal the batmobile and the batsuit. We all know the uproar of a storm that they will turn out to be.

My problem with Ben Affleck is that he is a movie star and not a charecter actor. He can't blend into a role it will always be Ben Affleck as Batman. Bale is a character actor he blends right into any role he plays case and point the Fighter, American Psycho, The Machinist to name a few.

Case and point look at Jack Nicholson great actor but he is always Jack in whatever role he plays, But look at DeNeiro or Johnny Depp they blend into a role and you believe they are that charecter/role

Bale set the bar way to high for Affleck to be a good Batman. People that are using Keaton as an example are way off base. Before Keaton there was no other Batman to base off of if he was any good. It was a blank slate

Five or ten years ago I would have agreed with you regarding Affleck but his last few movies have proven that he can actually take on that character. I think he has a good shot at making a believable Batman and Bruce Wayne.

Ben Affleck always has, and always will - this half-smirk on his face that betrays any seriousness to his roles. Even when he's in a serious role, I expect his to look directly at the camera and have a smarta** comment.

He has gotten some much-deserved accolades, and I think he'd be a fine Batman - but I can't take him serious for some reason. He's very wooden at times, and the other times, he's almost hammy. I want to see Argo and The Town, but spending $8 on a rental with Ben Affleck is farther down the priority list than my other films I want to see.

I just want to emphasize you haven't seen, arguably, his two greatest on screen performances, and yet are so assured of his current abilities.

I'm not assured of anything - I am registering an opinion. I'm not so quick to hand out atta-boys to someone for making two really good films recently and having 18 years worth of Shatner-esque performances.

RDJ?

What about him? Are you saying he was considered a bad actor before Iron Man?

I hated Keaton as Batman.

I rewatched Batman and Batman Returns a couple of weeks ago. I think Keaton made an excellent demented, tortured Bruce Wayne/Batman. I like those movies more now than I did when they first came out. I prefer Nolan's writing and direction, but those two Burton movies really captured the atmosphere of a Golden Age Batman comic book.

thisisgettingotbeaseriousproblem_o_2072409.jpg

-slym

Please get some new images or whatever they are called.

Same ones done to death. zzz

At least RMA annoys us with new ones.

Personally I thought his performance in Argo was ok, he just didn't get run over as much by the superior talent he was surrounded by. He still looked stiff and sounded like he was reading lines.

The Town? Really enjoyable movie, but... I still don't see it as Ben Affleck's acting as being a big reason for it. He's grew up in Massachusetts, so he should have the accent down... his performance, still reeks of typical Affleck to me.

And as excited as people were over the news of a Superman:Batman movie announcement at SDCC, all Marvel had to do then was announce AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON and it put DC's fire out pretty quick.

To Batman fans, sure. To Superman fans, sure. To movie fans and comic book fans in general it was news that the most successful superhero movie of all time was being followed up with a classic villain and a reason to track down Avengers #55. At SDCC, THAT was the buzz I heard about.

That complete POS and common book that is Avengers 55 was gobbled up to make short-term money. It is another classic example of a cheap SA minor key that gets a value bump with a movie announcement.

Listen I loved the Avengers movie aside from the terrible and boring villains it (I do think the actor that is playing Loki though is the best since Ledger), but when you came home HS and received an A- or A+ what looks better?

I think though DC should have made a regular MOS sequel and rebooted the Batman franchise in 2014 followed by MOS 2 in 2015 then own the summer the movies in 2016.

I give Marvel all the credit in the world, and I for sure know if Marvel had the rights to Superman/Batman than they would easily and I mean easily blow Avengers out of the water. I am more skeptical of DC's creative process than Ben as Batman.

That's just it though, Marvel isn't running things for the Batman/Superman movie.

They have the same cast, the same writer, director and now a super cool villain, coming off a grand slam win of a movie.

DC has to bring in an actor who's already failed in one superhero movie, to replace Bale, who, regardless of anyone's criticisms of him, re-established that character as a serious franchise.

For me, the biggest thing going for it is Zack Snyder, who's work I appreciate and who actually got me interested in a Superman movie.

On top of that, take into account each studio's track record so far, and it's only reasonable to think comic book fans in general are apprehensive about what's going to happen with that movie, but looking forward to the Avengers sequel.

RDJ?

If he is that would be incorrect. RDJ's only problem previously was his personal life.

Wow. I am stunned.

I also am underwhelmed with anticipation. It might possibly be the first superhero movie I don't see in a theater.

I wish the movie well. But this news does not bode well.

You know it. I know it. We all know it.

I can not stand Ben Affleck as an actor. In a chick flick, maybe. But not in anything else.

Yeah like you are not going to see Superman and Batman in the same movie.

it already made more money than Avengers since it was just announced last month.

This will be the biggest grossing superhero film of all time.

Two A+ Superheroes on the silver screen at the same time. No comic book movie has ever done that before.

Are you going to see it Fri or see it for matinee on Saturday? :baiting:

+1

I will wait for the DVD available in Redbox. But I reserve the ability to change my mind if reviews are high.

I just don't like Ben Affleck as an actor. he is wooden, uninteresting, and presents himself as very "soft". Definitely not someone I would ever think of as fitting to play The Batman.

I hated Keaton as Batman.

I rewatched Batman and Batman Returns a couple of weeks ago. I think Keaton made an excellent demented, tortured Bruce Wayne/Batman. I like those movies more now than I did when they first came out. I prefer Nolan's writing and direction, but those two Burton movies really captured the atmosphere of a Golden Age Batman comic book.

No offense..but :facepalm:

That's just it though, Marvel isn't running things for the Batman/Superman movie.

They have the same cast, the same writer, director and now a super cool villain, coming off a grand slam win of a movie.

DC has to bring in an actor who's already failed in one superhero movie, to replace Bale, who, regardless of anyone's criticisms of him, re-established that character as a serious franchise.

For me, the biggest thing going for it is Zack Snyder, who's work I appreciate and who actually got me interested in a Superman movie.

On top of that, take into account each studio's track record so far, and it's only reasonable to think comic book fans in general are apprehensive about what's going to happen with that movie, but looking forward to the Avengers sequel.

Like I said lets wait and see what DC has in store for us all.

Maybe MOS years from now will be equivalent to Marvels first movie IM in terms of the starting the fun craze.

I have faith.

RDJ?

If he is that would be incorrect. RDJ's only problem previously was his personal life.

Exactly, he was considered to be a good actor for quite a while. Though I'm kind of curious why people think he makes such a good Tony Stark. He kind of looks the part in the face..but I don't remember Tony Stark being a sarcastic chuckle factory (shrug)

Wow. I am stunned.

I also am underwhelmed with anticipation. It might possibly be the first superhero movie I don't see in a theater.

I wish the movie well. But this news does not bode well.

You know it. I know it. We all know it.

I can not stand Ben Affleck as an actor. In a chick flick, maybe. But not in anything else.

Yeah like you are not going to see Superman and Batman in the same movie.

it already made more money than Avengers since it was just announced last month.

This will be the biggest grossing superhero film of all time.

Two A+ Superheroes on the silver screen at the same time. No comic book movie has ever done that before.

Are you going to see it Fri or see it for matinee on Saturday? :baiting:

+1

I will wait for the DVD available in Redbox. But I reserve the ability to change my mind if reviews are high.

I just don't like Ben Affleck as an actor. he is wooden, uninteresting, and presents himself as very "soft". Definitely not someone I would ever think of as fitting to play The Batman.

Hey listen your skepticism is not without warrant.

Just saying I was cursing the heavens with I found out Ledger was The Joker, then I saw the first preview. I felt like I owned that man a sincere apology.

An opinion you seem quite sure of, of abilities you haven't witnessed.

Look, this is a fast moving thread running the full gamit of everything from him being barely functional to nigh Shakespearean. You certainly have the right to your opinion.

But you quoted, and agreed with and further made sentiments about his abilities, with no current knowledge of said.

But please, continue.

Let me get this straight: you are telling me my opinion on how I percieve how an actor portrays himself on screen is wrong? lol

I think I will go ahead and check out of this - you are trying way too hard to start an argument.

Jason, I'm telling you that you gave an assured opinion all while admitting you haven't kept up with his resume.

Nothing more.

And here's a flower cause writing on the internet is dumb. :foryou:

NOT trying to argue.