• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ben Affleck is Batman!

624 posts in this topic

This will assure that a Batman movie gets nominated for an Oscar. :)

Hollywood loves Ben Affleck!

He has won many Oscars.

This also assures that Batman/Superman will do one billion at box office!

A great move on Warner`s part.

:cloud9:

lol

Right on time.

Nominated for an Oscar for anything but sound or special effects? :baiting:

And two Oscars aren't "many." :P

Wow. I am stunned.

I also am underwhelmed with anticipation. It might possibly be the first superhero movie I don't see in a theater.

I wish the movie well. But this news does not bode well.

You know it. I know it. We all know it.

I can not stand Ben Affleck as an actor. In a chick flick, maybe. But not in anything else.

Yeah like you are not going to see Superman and Batman in the same movie.

it already made more money than Avengers since it was just announced last month.

This will be the biggest grossing superhero film of all time.

Two A+ Superheroes on the silver screen at the same time. No comic book movie has ever done that before.

Are you going to see it Fri or see it for matinee on Saturday? :baiting:

Two of Marvel's B list superheroes made nearly as much money in their solo movies as Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel did.

Iron Man 3 and Thor combined: $1,662,095,474

Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel: $1,733,699,956

I doubt the Batman/Superman movie surpasses the Avengers at the box office. hm

IM and Thor are A- and not B. B is DD and Ghost Rider.

If DC does it right Superman/Batman will gross higher than Avengers.

There are no other characters in comic book history that have more star power when together than Batman and Superman.

I have no doubt unless DC just bombs this movie that this will be the most important and highest grossing comic book movie of all time. Yes well over Avengers.

Before the Iron Man and Thor movies were released, do you really believe they were "A" list characters? :screwy:

Did the comics sell like "A" list books before the movies? I mean how many times did their titles get cancelled? :makepoint:

Marvel took two journeyman characters and made them film stars. DC took two characters that have been icons for over 70 years and made them hot again.

It's not that I don't have faith in Affleck. It's DC I don't have faith in. You start putting too many characters, actors, and writers together making a movie, and the results could be disastrous.

"The most important comic book movie of all time." At least you're being optimistic about it, I'll give you that. :whee:

I'm pretty sure I'm not going to watch it. I'm getting burned out on Batman movies. And I've been a fan of the movies pretty much up until fairly recently. The past five years or so. Not because of Nolan, my tastes are changing I guess. I thought his vision was a good change, the execution of the second and third movies left a lot to be desired for me, and even the first was not as great as everyone makes it out to be. It was good, I watched it twice I think. I liked the Tim Burton version of Batman at first too, but it also leaves a lot to be desired. Mostly the visual stuff I like in both cases. The reimaginings of Batman and Joker, the design of the Batmobile. The sequels in the earlier series got really bad though. Anyway, I might catch it on DVD eventually, and I might not. I don't watch X-Men or Spiderman movies anymore, I won't be watching the Superman movie. I skipped Thor and all the Hulks. I stopped watching Iron Man despite RDJ being my favorite actor. I'm not a CGI fan at all and I'm not as much of a popcorn action fan as I used to be.

Wow. I am stunned.

I also am underwhelmed with anticipation. It might possibly be the first superhero movie I don't see in a theater.

I can not stand Ben Affleck as an actor. In a chick flick, maybe. But not in anything else.

it already made more money than Avengers since it was just announced last month.

Two A+ Superheroes on the silver screen at the same time. No comic book movie has ever done that before.

Two of Marvel's B list superheroes made nearly as much money in their solo movies as Dark Knight Rises and Man of Steel did.

There are no other characters in comic book history that have more star power when together than Batman and Superman.

I have no doubt unless DC just bombs this movie that this will be the most important and highest grossing comic book movie of all time. Yes well over Avengers.

Before the Iron Man and Thor movies were released, do you really believe they were "A" list characters? :screwy:

Both long running solo title characters with a top selling team title and valuable first appearances. Is Deadpool an A-list character?

Wow. I am stunned.

Did the comics sell like "A" list books before the movies? I mean how many times did their titles get cancelled? :makepoint:

Marvel took two journeyman characters and made them film stars. DC took two characters that have been icons for over 70 years and made them hot again.

It's not that I don't have faith in Affleck. It's DC I don't have faith in. You start putting too many characters, actors, and writers together making a movie, and the results could be disastrous.

"The most important comic book movie of all time." At least you're being optimistic about it, I'll give you that. :whee:

Spider-man, Batman, Superman are A+

I think one could argue they were A- before the movies and are now A category.

Wow. I am stunned.

I don't see it happening with Batman/Superman beating Avengers. Look at it this way the studios spent 780 million dollars in preadvertising for Avengers with the budgets of the other films essentially acting like an advertisement for Avengers. You know the one thing the Avengers had going for with possible exception of Thor the rest of the films had good reviews. Man of Steel has been getting extremely mixed reviews for the film and its sad he needs Batman to carry him for a future film. As far as Affleck goes I just don't see him as Bruce Wayne he has certain characteristics that make me say no, but like when I heard Keaton was casted as Batman back in the 80's I laughed a comedian as Batman. So who knows. They probably could of casted better like hmm Josh Brolin comes to mind.

Affleck isn't the immature actor he was in the late 90's and early 2000's. Last few movies he's been in he's been great. He very well could pull this off.
Bruce Willis was stepping out of his comfort zone when he was cast in Die Hard, now I can't imagine him as anyone but John McClane.

Wow. I am stunned.

I don't see it happening with Batman/Superman beating Avengers. Look at it this way the studios spent 780 million dollars in preadvertising for Avengers with the budgets of the other films essentially acting like an advertisement for Avengers. You know the one thing the Avengers had going for with possible exception of Thor the rest of the films had good reviews. Man of Steel has been getting extremely mixed reviews for the film and its sad he needs Batman to carry him for a future film. As far as Affleck goes I just don't see him as Bruce Wayne he has certain characteristics that make me say no, but like when I heard Keaton was casted as Batman back in the 80's I laughed a comedian as Batman. So who knows. They probably could of casted better like hmm Josh Brolin comes to mind.

A Superman/Batman movie is the ultimate dream comic book movie of all time so I don't think you will have to worry about DC not whoring it out to the masses in a multi-million marketing campaign.

The only reason reason Avengers grossed the most is solely due to the fact is was the first superhero film to show off A- characters on the same screen with a twist of RDJ. The movie itself was a lackluster story-line.

Superman/Batman with Lex Luthor and/or Darkseid.......I think it is a safe bet Avengers will taking a back seat if DC does this right.

Either way summer of 2015 is shaping up to be the biggest summer at the movies of all time,

With all this competition we win as viewers!

Affleck becomes the eighth actor to play the Caped Crusader, following Bale, George Clooney and Michael Keaton.

1. Lewis Wilson (Batman 15-part serial, 1943)

2. Robert Lowery (Batman and Robin, 1949)

3. Adam West (Batman TV Show, 1966-1968; animated Batman appearances, 1977)

4. Olan Soule (animated Batman appearances, 1968-1977)

5. Michael Keaton (Tim Burton's Batman, 1989; Batman Returns, 1992)

6. Kevin Conroy (Batman: The Animated Series, 1992-1995; Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, 1993; The New Batman Adventures, 1997-1999; Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero animated movie, 1998; Batman Beyond, 1999-2001; Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker animated movie, 2000; Justice League TV Series, 2001-2004; Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman animated movie, 2003; Justice League Unlimited, 2004-2006; many other Batman guest spots)

7. Val Kilmer (Batman Forever, 1995)

8. George Clooney (Batman & Robin, 1997)

9. Will Friedle (Batman Beyond, 1999-2001)

10. Rino Romano (The Batman, 2004-2008; Batman vs. Dracula, 2005)

11. Christian Bale (Batman Begins, 2005; The Dark Knight, 2008, The Dark Knight Rises, 2012)

12. Diedrich Bader (Batman: The Brave and the Bold, 2008-2011)

13. Anthony Ruivivar (Beware the Batman, 2013-present)

14. Ben Affleck (Superman vs. Batman, 2015)

I believe there were some radio shows from the 1940s with different actors as well.

People all laughed and were outraged when Michael Keaton was cast as Batman.

People were also outraged and shocked when Heath Ledger was cast as the Joker

And look what happened... Save your insults until you actually see the movie.

Ben Afflack as Batman? What, was George Clooney not returning your calls? What a way to destroy a franchise. Is Batman being written as a total D-bag? If so, then it might work. Otherwise, I have no intention of seeing this movie, and I'm a life long Batman reader. This is just awful news.

While I can understand where you are coming from. I simultaneously am HOPING your comments, and the many MANY MANY others like it in this thread, are a repeat of this:

jokernomakeup.jpg

ledgerresponse.jpg

:applause:

And for the record, I supported Ledger.

Heck, I've supported all the Super Hero casting decisions that I can think of.

It's rarely casting that destroys a film. That would be the writers, directors, and executives jobs.

Ben Affleck is a stiff actor and not very natural at all.

Compare these two similar type of scenes, the first with Affleck and the second with Alec Baldwin.

WARNING: NSFW!!!

WARNING: NSFW!!!

You can't compare Lumet to some hack -script. GgR was a brilliant play and a once in a lifetime role for those actors.

Want a fair comparison between those two actors? Pick The Shadow against Daredevil. Hint: Baldwin is a two by four in that one too.