• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trading Post/PIF/Giving Tree Discussion Thread

2,657 posts in this topic

What is a "PIF"?

(shrug)

lol If you are being serious, then it means Pay It Forward. It is a thread at the top of the page. You claim an offer of free comics or other stuff and then you offer up a cool offer for the next person to claim :)

Tragically, I was serious. lol

I stay out of stuff like that and most of the "stickies" at the top of the page. I absolutely could not come up with anything "PIF" could stand for!

Thank you and I will now leave you to your discussion of things that have no bearing on me…..

I was about to post "WTF is PIF?", as it was lost on me too.

I think a different idea that Techvoddoo had would be perfect and fix everything. What was that again? You claim something, post a new offer and if your offer is not claimed within a few days, the original offer you claimed is back up for grabs?

All you need to get around that is a couple of shill accounts.

The worst offenders in the PIF thread are those who every single time, offer the exact same items, over and over again. It's so bad with some of them, that as soon as they post the :takeit: , you already know exactly what "offers" they're going to post.

All one has to do to find the identity of these "particular" boardies is go back through the thread, and look for the 2-5 week gaps between their offers being put up, and somebody finally "biting the bullet", to get the thread moving along again. Then of course, they get all butt-hertz when somebody suggests that perhaps they could change up their offer or vary it in some way.

Strangely enough, a few of the people who spoke up over the last few days in the PIF thread against those of us who had the temerity to question the "values" of the books or items being offered are and have been, some of the worst offenders of having "dead items" that sat there for weeks. hm

Perhaps the criticisms and pointing out of some of the PIF issues, hit a little too close to home for some of them. hm

The worst offenders in the PIF thread are those who every single time, offer the exact same items, over and over again. It's so bad with some of them, that as soon as they post the :takeit: , you already know exactly what "offers" they're going to post.

All one has to do to find the identity of these "particular" boardies is go back through the thread, and look for the 2-5 week gaps between their offers being put up, and somebody finally "biting the bullet", to get the thread moving along again. Then of course, they get all butt-hertz when somebody suggests that perhaps they could change up their offer or vary it in some way.

Strangely enough, a few of the people who spoke up over the last few days in the PIF thread against those of us who had the temerity to question the "values" of the books or items being offered are and have been, some of the worst offenders of having "dead items" that sat there for weeks. hm

Perhaps the criticisms and pointing out of some of the PIF issues, hit a little too close to home for some of them. hm

100% with you on that.

As to the flippant dismissal by certain members and the gradation of coolness within comic collecting, the notion is the funniest I've ever heard.

To write off collectors exchanging free books and then get passionate about an artist scribbling on your book or arguing about the actual print run of a variant ashcan is laughably hypocritical.

The PIF has as much merit as any other aspect of these boards. Paying for a prostitute doesn't make you a cocksman, it makes you another horny guy.

As to those members who claim it's not about the money; you're blowing smoke. When my daughter draws me a picture for my birthday it's so special because she thought about me and spent her time drawing for me. If she gave me the same quarter books she did last year I would be furious.

If you don't have "money" or "fancy" books, put a modicum of effort after you choose to grab a great offer.

P.s. My daughter has regifted too many times to mention and I love every second of it, even quarter books.

As to the flippant dismissal by certain members and the gradation of coolness within comic collecting, the notion is the funniest I've ever heard.

To write off collectors exchanging free books and then get passionate about an artist scribbling on your book or arguing about the actual print run of a variant ashcan is laughably hypocritical.

The PIF has as much merit as any other aspect of these boards. Paying for a prostitute doesn't make you a cocksman, it makes you another horny guy.

As to those members who claim it's not about the money; you're blowing smoke. When my daughter draws me a picture for my birthday it's so special because she thought about me and spent her time drawing for me. If she gave me the same quarter books she did last year I would be furious.

If you don't have "money" or "fancy" books, put a modicum of effort after you choose to grab a great offer.

P.s. My daughter has regifted too many times to mention and I love every second of it, even quarter books.

Even though I try to read for comprehension, I honestly cannot figure out what the hell you are talking about most of the time. I was able to parse out that if you love SS and think junk donkey swap meets are stupid you are a hypocrite. So I do have that going for me.

Even though I try to read for comprehension, I honestly cannot figure out what the hell you are talking about most of the time. I was able to parse out that if you love SS and think junk donkey swap meets are stupid you are a hypocrite. So I do have that going for me.

That's an odd observation.

Obviously by your reply my post was crystal clear.

You are right.

Laying gravel in a boneyard doesn't make you a frankfurter.

Sometimes when I get what I don't deserve, I cruise on right through to the clown show and make off with the pinata. And let me tell you, those are the nights that the turpentine goes on real, real thin.

You are right.

Sometimes when I get what I don't deserve, I cruise on right through to the clown show and make off with the pinata. And let me tell you, those are the nights that the turpentine goes on real, real thin.

Crystal clear. (thumbs u

You are right.

This is purposefully nonsensical.

You were offended by my post and didn't agree with the point I was making. You then decided to discredit what I said by making the claim that all my posts are somehow obtuse or confusing.

Be that as it may, it still doesn't change the fact that demeaning certain aspects of these boards while being passionate about others is hypocritical.

What the PIF is missing, is very simple:

Common Sense

I understand that not everyone has good stuff to offer up, but if the spirit is to "pay it forward" then maybe you need to hold off before continually grabbing piles of expensive goodies. hm

If I have a pile of ratty junk, and someone posts a NM set of Gerber Photojournals, I would certainly not ask for them, simply because I would feel like a jerk offering up a pile of as my "Pay if Forward". That would not be paying it forward, it's junk disposal.

Others would look at a pile of expensive freebees, and immediately take them, and list options a) a VG run of Team America or b) another stack of , without batting an eyelash - these people either lack common sense or ethics, and don't see this as being selfish.

Then finally someone takes the VG Team America books just to get the thread going, whereby the same guy who took the Photojournals immediately jumps back in and grabs a nice CGC book, whereby he relists his exact same previous offerings.

That's really not what PIF is about, and it can quickly devolve into trading junk for someone else's gold.

You are right.

Are you Beck? hm

What the PIF is missing, is very simple:

Common Sense

I understand that not everyone has good stuff to offer up, but if the spirit is to "pay it forward" then maybe you need to hold off before continually grabbing piles of expensive goodies. hm

If I have a pile of ratty junk, and someone posts a NM set of Gerber Photojournals, I would certainly not ask for them, simply because I would feel like a jerk offering up a pile of as my "Pay if Forward". That would not be paying it forward, it's junk disposal.

Others would look at a pile of expensive freebees, and immediately take them, and list options a) a VG run of Team America or b) another stack of , without batting an eyelash - these people either lack common sense or ethics, and don't see this as being selfish.

Then finally someone takes the VG Team America books just to get the thread going, whereby the same guy who took the Photojournals immediately jumps back in and grabs a nice CGC book, whereby he relists his exact same previous offerings.

That's really not what PIF is about, and it can quickly devolve into trading junk for someone else's gold.

Sounds a bit like the Holiday Raffle. hm