• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Am I being unreasonable here?

76 posts in this topic

Bought a slab on eBay. Came to me with some chips out of the back of the case. Lower corner looks stressed like on the verge of popping. Since I found no plastic shards in the box I assumed it was chipped prior to seller shipping. I emailed seller asking for refund of reholdering fees...

His reply:

Dear comicalgems,

this comic was graded onsite in chicago aug 11 weekend and shipped to me 4 days later on thurs aug 15 by cgc and then bought from you aug 16... im done..... please return for full refund

Full disclosure I did email prior to buying asking for wiggle on the price. Not unusual for me to do, at any rate I guess I pissed off the seller.

I'm not keen on being out shipping costs to return it as I may as well ship it to CGC and pay for the reholdering. I also forget proper etiquette for returns...refund first then I ship? Or ship first then I get the refund?

You were not unreasonable, but neither was the seller. You both will take a hit on this over the shipping costs. On the bright side, you can neg him, but not may options.

I had a seller who purposely shipped me the regular edition of a comic rather than the rarer variant that I had won at a bargain price. Even though he shipped the wrong book, I was stuck paying the return shipping to get my money back (the variant was somehow now missing). (*Based on Darkstar's post, it sounds like the return shipping fees policy might have changed.)

If it is a book you want, you should eat the reholdering costs. If it isn't worth it, ship the book back and eat the return shipping costs, neg the buy and avoid him in the future.

You were not unreasonable, but neither was the seller. You both will take a hit on this over the shipping costs. On the bright side, you can neg him, but not may options.

I had a seller who purposely shipped me the regular edition of a comic rather than the rarer variant that I had won at a bargain price. Even though he shipped the wrong book, I was stuck paying the return shipping to get my money back (the variant was somehow now missing).

If it is a book you want, you should eat the reholdering costs. If it isn't worth it, ship the book back and eat the return shipping costs, neg the buy and avoid him in the future.

Ebay pays for the buyers shipping costs and then adds the charge to the sellers account.

Could you not just file a claim via ebay and request the reslabbing fees as that would make the transaction proper? Showing photos when you ultimately have to escalate the claim. Don't show them the POS photos you posted.

Just an option.