• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pencil me in

13 posts in this topic

...or pencil me out?

I discovered a small press artist that I hadn't seen before and contacted him via email. He'd done a terrific cover -- I'd seen the printed version in Previews -- and he offered to sell it to me. When he sent a scan of the original, I discovered that he does his artwork in pencil. When I asked him about this, he says that's all he works in.

Every piece I've own until now has been inked. I know that's not the wave of the future, that penciled work (and designed on computer work) is the current and future of comic art, but I've always enjoyed the boldness of pen and ink.

Before I pull the trigger on this purchase, can anyone tell me about the care and feeding of graphite-based artwork? Do pencil lines tend to fade over time? Do I need to take special precautions if the work is in a portfolio? If I frame and hang the cover, can I simply leave it out of direct sunlight or do I need to buy special reflective glass?

Would you buy a penciled cover you liked, knowing it was the one and only original?

Thanks!

Re: Buying a pencil only cover

Sure.

Re: Care and feeding

If you don't frame it, you might consider using a fixative to ensure that the pencil doesn't smudge. They are carried in art supply stores.

If you frame it, be sure to use a mat to keep the glass away from the pencil - to avoid smudges.

Other than that, normal rules apply, e.g., controlled humidity, temperature, and sunlight.

I have two framed pencil only pieces in my den. Superman by Curt Swan and Bat Lash by Nick Cardy.

SupermanBySwan.jpgBat%20Lash.jpg

I had a pencil piece. Loved it. I had it framed for years. My old framing guy in Los Angeles area told me that the pencils would probably outlive me. I have also seen some old Jack Kirby work that seemed to hold up just fine. I am sure you won't have an issue if you take good care of the art.

Graphite is incredibly stable. I would definitely not use a spray fixative but I would definitely put it in a mylar or a frame. Once there, nothing can happen to the pencils.

Scott

Agreed. Don't mess with fixative. Just protect it from getting smudged and you'll be fine. I have a few pencil pieces and they all look as good as the day I got them.

I'm so confused! (But grateful for all of the help.) So the new thought is...no fixative?

Go with Scott's advice, no fixative. If you put it in a mylar portfolio make sure it's snug in the portfolio, not in an oversize one where it can slide around when you flip through it.

Graphite is incredibly stable. I would definitely not use a spray fixative but I would definitely put it in a mylar or a frame. Once there, nothing can happen to the pencils.

Scott

Thanks for sharing Scott, nice to have a pro's opinion on the matter!