• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What will drive the NEXT big speculation boom?

72 posts in this topic

Not to be dark (and I pray I am wrong), but the unfortunate passing of Stan Lee will cause a huge demand for his numerous signed marvel books and memorabilia.

Better stock up on those Stan Lee signed books, I hear they are pretty rare. :idea:

Not to be dark (and I pray I am wrong), but the unfortunate passing of Stan Lee will cause a huge demand for his numerous signed marvel books and memorabilia.

Better stock up on those Stan Lee signed books, I hear they are pretty rare. :idea:

:golfclap:

That's why I said "numerous"...

I just feel there will be a demand (even though there's a ridiculous amount out there) because of the non-collector factor - where people that don't collect want to buy just a signed item for the simple fact that he's the most well know physical person in the comic business.

Prices are now currently rising on his signed items based on this belief.

People do crazy stuff with money, that's what speculation is all about...

I think some new hot artist will come on the scene, and reinvent stuff.

This generation hasn`t had that one big artist like

Jack Kirby, Neal Adams, John Byrne, Frank Miller, and Jim Lee.

In fact it`s been a very long time!

There has to be some new unknown artist out there that will take it to another level.

There has to be some new unknown artist out there that will take it to another level.

I think the problem is that artists are creators, and the IP entanglement keeps any great talent outside of the big two, which limits how big of a splash they can make.

James Stokoe

Brandon Graham

Nate Simpson

Paul Pope

one of these guys could have made the splash comparable to the guys you mentioned, but they all decided to primarily live in the "self publishing" world, which at the moment means they get to own their own content but lack the multi-media presence to make them household names like the guys you mentioned.

As far as artists goes, you can surely count Frank Quitely in.

And Jim Lee, objectively speaking, is popular but cannot be compared to the others you mentioned.

I truly hope you are right. But I don't hold my breath. I peruse through new stuff at my LCS and, generally speaking with exceptions, the quality of writing and art is far behind what we were seeing when Kirby, Adams, Byrne and Miller were regularly drawing (and in some cases writing).

I don't think the premium will ever be much more than it is currently.

Stan is the man, but over the years he's signed a ridiculous number of books.

And Jim Lee, objectively speaking, is popular but cannot be compared to the others you mentioned.

Agree re Quitely and Lee.

Are you putting Frank Quietly on the list with those artists, and doing it with a straight face?

If so, I'd like to add Rob Liefeld. :/

Are you putting Frank Quietly on the list with those artists, and doing it with a straight face?

If so, I'd like to add Rob Liefeld. :/

I am, and without much hesitation.

Taste is a thing, mastery is another, and quitely has it, no matter if one likes his work or not. ;)

As some others have pointed out, I think we'll start to see divergant price paths for Stan Lee signed books he worked on (GA/SA) vs Stan Lee signed copies of New Mutants 98 (and the like)

I would throw in Gary Frank as a darn good "modern era" artist and visual story-teller. If he were drawing in the copper age, he would have been at the fan interest level as Byrne and Miller.

Getting back to the thread topic, I like nearmint's assessment re DC SA 2nd tier keys or semi-keys as next growth/specualtor interest area.

I know there has to be millions, but I never said people do smart things with their money either.

I could easily see signature series stuff of his going for over double (maybe even triple) for a couple of months after he passes.

Avengers 55 is a warehouse find, yet these are going for high dollar!

Sometimes people are just crazy!

I know there has to be millions, but I never said people do smart things with their money either.

I could easily see signature series stuff of his going for over double for a couple of months after he passes.

How well did the Mickey Mantle autograph market hold up after he passed away?

I think that's a fair thing to compare it to.

Mick has been gone for almost 20 years now and his balls sell for less now than they did when he was still alive.

I could easily see signature series stuff of his going for over double for a couple of months after he passes.

How well did the Mickey Mantle autograph market hold up after he passed away?

I think that's a fair thing to compare it to.

Mick has been gone for almost 20 years now and his balls sell for less now than they did when he was still alive.

I can see that, but then again I could see Stan as more of a Creative

and more wrapped into pop culture that just about anyone I seen in my lifetime

(now more than ever).

Artist/Creatives are known for more of a monetary influence once deceased.