• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sea Devils

67 posts in this topic

Nothing like bumping a thread from 2004 but no reason to start a new one.

Bump away. I do it all the time.

I really never appreciated these books before....

Philistine! Sea Devils is one of my favourite titles and i need only #18 and #31 to complete my run.

...but some of these Howard Purcell covers are stunning.

I prefer the Russ Heath covers from earlier on in the run.

Would love to see what others have so let's show some Sea Devils and post away.

Will do!

:juggle:

:popcorn:

Thanks. The 27 and 28 are Bethlehems.

Wow! All three of their Showcase appearances in that type of shape! I only have 27 and 29. I'll try to post mine later so we can compare them.

:applause:

Here are some scans of my really early Sea Devils books:

Showcase27.jpg

Showcase28.jpg

Seadevils1.jpg

Seadevils2.jpg

The first two issues of the Sea Devils in their own title have covers that rank among my very favourite covers of all time!

:luhv:

Seadevils2.jpg

Sea Devils 2 and Show 28 are my two favorites -- absolutely superb work on both by Heath. Heath was into scuba diving and part of a very active club and I think that was reflected in the art he produced for the series.

Here's a recreation I commissioned from Heath of Showcase 27. He modified the color scheme to what he would have done and drew what was under the text box on the published comic.

He did not like that gray had been used at the top of the image where the sun shines through the water as that was not realistic. He used white to better imitate what a diver would actually see. He also did not like the gray used for the shadow cast by the giant hand as that was colored as if the shadow was on land. In water, the shadow would be a darker shade of the color of the water.

I took a long lunch break to pick this up from his agent and, back at work, showed it to a co-worker who was a scuba diver. She remarked that females do not look like that when they are in a wet suit. :blush:

Showcase27recreation_sm.jpg

Here's a recreation I commissioned from Heath of Showcase 27. He modified the color scheme to what he would have done and drew what was under the text box on the published comic.

He did not like that gray had been used at the top of the image where the sun shines through the water as that was not realistic. He used white to better imitate what a diver would actually see. He also did not like the gray used for the shadow cast by the giant hand as that was colored as if the shadow was on land. In water, the shadow would be a darker shade of the color of the water.

The recreation is indeed better thsn the original!

(thumbs u

I took a long lunch break to pick this up from his agent and, back at work, showed it to a co-worker who was a scuba diver. She remarked that females do not look like that when they are in a wet suit. :blush:

Showcase27recreation_sm.jpg

(worship)(worship) That's super cool. I love how he handled the title and the top of the image. Is he still doing commissions?

Heath would be pleased with the compliments paid him in this thread. I think his work on this is among the very best of his recreations but all are terrific.

I love how he handled the title and the top of the image.
I did have input into the recreation and chose the Sea Devils logo rather than Showcase. He suggested skipping the blurb in the lower right, which had been placed on top of his original washtone. I will admit it took me a bit to get used to his color scheme because the original had been burned into my brain but it is better and I would not have wanted him to compromise.

Is he still doing commissions?
I believe he is available for commissions and he is still doing some recreations. Steve Wyatt had 4 nice ones for sale at his SD Con booth.

Showcase27recreation_closeup.jpg

Due to his organizational system, Mr. Heath has fallen

behind on art commissions, and apologies to those collectors

who have paid for artwork not yet received. If you have

commissioned a piece from Russ Heath and paid for it, please

get in touch so he can contact you to work out a schedule.

Since Mr. Heath is not an e-mail user, please mail him a

paper letter with your name, phone number, and a brief

description of the commission you agreed upon.

:(